The stone roses

weeksy97

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Badlands said:

That Belfast show is only an 11,000 capacity? That the smallest they've played here other than the secret gigs?

Was hoping for an arena tour hitting the north-east if they had an album to flog... or any local show... less likely now though.

Yeah the Odyssey (or SSE as it's been called recently) isn't the biggest venue really

Really thought they'd have played Tenants Vital again as opposed to the Odyssey in Belfast, can see this one selling out pretty quick. It's still great to see an actual good, fairly big band bothering to make there way to Belfast though, the lack of big arena talent coming to the city has been pretty pitiful.

Although when they do come, they tend to make the wrong booking. The National at the Odyssey a couple of years ago was the strangest gig I've ever been to. Empty seats galore and a fair bit of the standing was cordoned off to not make it look as empty. Unreal gig though!

1 hour ago, Johnkhutch said:

Really thought they'd have played Tenants Vital again as opposed to the Odyssey in Belfast, can see this one selling out pretty quick. It's still great to see an actual good, fairly big band bothering to make there way to Belfast though, the lack of big arena talent coming to the city has been pretty pitiful.

Although when they do come, they tend to make the wrong booking. The National at the Odyssey a couple of years ago was the strangest gig I've ever been to. Empty seats galore and a fair bit of the standing was cordoned off to not make it look as empty. Unreal gig though!

It might be small on purpose so as to announce Tenants Vital too.

The only place I can see them doing multiple nights is Belfast (due to the size of the venue)

Manchester turn out for "local bands" more than anywhere else in the country. Look at shite like the courteeners, if they were from Birmingham, they'd be playing academies. They play the arena up here.

Muliple nights at Hampden - I can't see happening for the Roses.

My gut says - DP, Sheeran, Radiohead as headliners. I can't see there not being a "newer" act. Thats the one the press love. If his album is done, Sheeran is a cert.

4 minutes ago, nikkic said:

How quickly did their gigs sell out last year? Was it fairly quickly or did it take a while? 

I won't be free to grab some until about midday on Friday, hopefully there'll be some on sale still. 

they kept adding more dates as needed in Manchester until demand was met, while here in Ireland they were still advertising the Dublin gig until the event.

Yeah the Friday and Saturday as good as sold out on the day I think (i.e. all of the standing and good seat tickets were purchased and there were a few dotted about for a while after). The Sunday was not far behind, the Wednesday understandably was a bit emptier. Could be wrong but I think it was roughly like that.

For Manchester the tickets sold out really quickly for Sat/Fri - I seem to remember within the hour.
I did the Saturday and it was utterly mental, the Roses really are a take your brain out and leave it at home experience.

(I was in Manchester when the graffiti started in '85 [I think that was the year] and we were seriously unimpressed!)

25 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

He was quoting bobby gillespie. 

A huge Primal Scream fan I was down the front for that.

Still  not decided if they were blisteringly brilliant or a total car crash ?

I know they had technical issues right from the start , they were so late coming on and that impacted on the set being cut short.

Edited by ivan

3 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

The only place I can see them doing multiple nights is Belfast (due to the size of the venue)

Manchester turn out for "local bands" more than anywhere else in the country. Look at shite like the courteeners, if they were from Birmingham, they'd be playing academies. They play the arena up here.

Muliple nights at Hampden - I can't see happening for the Roses.

My gut says - DP, Sheeran, Radiohead as headliners. I can't see there not being a "newer" act. Thats the one the press love. If his album is done, Sheeran is a cert.

You say a newer act, last year Adele was new but she's not exactly going to go and headline everywhere and even with that trio DP have never headlined and based on that trio I think you could forgive it. Even if The Roses play which is nailed I think and has been for ages, they are still a new header there. On any 3 of those 4 they aren't pushing one away in favor of a totally new headliner.....there may not even be one big enough to do so.

1 hour ago, ivan said:

A huge Primal Scream fan I was down the front for that.

Still  not decided if they were blisteringly brilliant or a total car crash ?

I know they had technical issues right from the start , they were so late coming on and that impacted on the set being cut short.

Car crash. 7 car pile-up of a car crash.

just had someone get in touch who claims to have inside sources (I don't know if he's shitting me or not, tho I'm inclined to believed him) tell me that he's heard Roses a done deal. He also told me a while back that RH were too.

He also says that he's no info on the 3rd, including about whether there might be anything to DP.

I say i'm inclined to believe him - and i am - but it always makes me a bit nervous when someone who's rep I can't really verify is confirming the same thing I've heard from another direction, as it's easy to get sucked into a falsey via wanting to believe I've got it nailed.