GlastoMap - new version

cerv

26 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Please don't distribute Glasto's copyright materials without their permission - and particularly when they superficially asked that it is not distributed, not because they're mean and nasty but because they think it shouldn't be available at this time for the benefit of the festival.

Sorry boss.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 2:26 PM, cerv said:

I did offer but they didn't respond on that point. I think they just want to avoid any further hassle and aren't going to suggest or work with me to find a happy medium.  

When I get a bit of time I might see if I can easily produce a more stylised version and see what they think of that.

I just wanted to write and say thanks for having done it previously, as I can't recall saying so.  It was really helpful and kind :D 

On 12/10/2016 at 9:52 AM, shuttlep said:

there is a good point that on google earth you can go and look at the festival site and see where everything is. Ok everything is not labeled , but you don;t see Glastonbury festival complaining to the Rich Google that the photo of the site.

And in fact glastoearth is still going overlays on top of that.

Google might use a satellite image, the image from the glastomap might be one specifically owned by glasto?   dont know for certain though

On 12/10/2016 at 10:41 AM, ThomThomDrum said:

Google Map doesn't show the site in festival mode any longer (with the exception of the far east of the site with a few camper van fields/carparks/posh camping spots)

Maybe they were asked to remove it also

Google maps shows the latest photo, you can still see the site in festival mode on google earth if you use the history function and go back to 2014.

On 10/20/2016 at 2:00 PM, clarkete said:

I just wanted to write and say thanks for having done it previously, as I can't recall saying so.  It was really helpful and kind :D 

Thanks! Yeah, have had way more comments about it since I've had to shut it down than when it was up. Always the way I guess :-)

On 10/20/2016 at 2:40 PM, siblin said:

And in fact glastoearth is still going overlays on top of that.

Google might use a satellite image, the image from the glastomap might be one specifically owned by glasto?   dont know for certain though

Yeah, it's specifically owned by glasto as you say. They get one done every year and previously had given me the OK to use it over the years. And then it all got a bit serious for whatever reason (I've heard more than one possible reason from different sources now so really not sure). Anyway as it's theirs I've gotta respect their wishes.

Am toying with the idea of creating a more traditional 2d map but with the high level of detail I was trying to get with glastop map (i.e. with stage names). Dunno if that would still be useful or if people just loved being able to find their tent :-) bit of both I guess 

1 minute ago, cerv said:

Yeah, it's specifically owned by glasto as you say. They get one done every year and previously had given me the OK to use it over the years. And then it all got a bit serious for whatever reason (I've heard more than one possible reason from different sources now so really not sure). Anyway as it's theirs I've gotta respect their wishes.

Am toying with the idea of creating a more traditional 2d map but with the high level of detail I was trying to get with glastop map (i.e. with stage names). Dunno if that would still be useful or if people just loved being able to find their tent :-) bit of both I guess 

can yo not hire your own satellite to take photo's of next years festival? failing that ask Google if you can use their image. 

5 minutes ago, cerv said:

I think you'd get a great deal of interest.  How would it compare to the detailed map given to crew?

10 minutes ago, cerv said:

I'd absolutely love that. Please make this happen :)

10 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I think you'd get a great deal of interest.  How would it compare to the detailed map given to crew?

Look at the OS Open data products available you can build your tilechache from them again. 

Not aware of any open air photo libraries off the top of my head but they may well exist. 

Alternatively OSM (Open Street Map) might actually cover the site fairly well if enough map enthusiasts have attended. 

12 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

can yo not hire your own satellite to take photo's of next years festival? failing that ask Google if you can use their image. 

Might be a bit pricey to do that. Satellites are only passing over at certain times. Not sure it's easy/possible to demand a certain date/time for an area. The photo on Google is a bit out of date now too unfortunately re: John Peel stage moves etc.

27 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'd like to think it could be better but don't know until I try. Seeing as I've got a high quality aerial shot of the festival I could effectively trace over it, making it pretty accurate in terms of proportions and location of stages. Would mean the ability to share a location would still work just as well. It could take forever to do though! However, if I can find the right tool for the job that makes alterations easy to do etc. then it might be achievable.

15 hours ago, cerv said:

I'd like to think it could be better but don't know until I try. Seeing as I've got a high quality aerial shot of the festival I could effectively trace over it, making it pretty accurate in terms of proportions and location of stages. Would mean the ability to share a location would still work just as well. It could take forever to do though! However, if I can find the right tool for the job that makes alterations easy to do etc. then it might be achievable.

Use QGIS, open source desktop GIS package.

I beleive you said before that your map used geojson if so I'd be more than happy to do a conversion from .shp file to geojson. 

15 hours ago, shuttlep said:

15 hours ago, cerv said:

Both these ideas (particularly the first) seem as if they're adhering to the letter rather than the spirit of the request from the festival.  Although they presumably won't own the copyright, I can't imagine producing an essentially identical map from a different source would go down well.

Of course, I'm not privy to the exact reasons behind the takedown request, but it might be worth running any plans past the festival first, especially if it's going to involve a lot of work.  

It's also possible that a really good job could lead to the map being used in an official basis.  I love this passion for all these aspects of the festival!

5 minutes ago, cornish hick said:

okidokes - just thought it was strange it went from empty fields - festival - empty fields fairly quickly and it also vanish around same time as Cervs.

It could equally be related mind! But they do tend to use the newest image for which they have access to. 

1 hour ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

Use QGIS, open source desktop GIS package.

I beleive you said before that your map used geojson if so I'd be more than happy to do a conversion from .shp file to geojson. 

Cheers, yeah I've played around a little bit with QGIS. Any other tips on tools that might help I should look into are gratefully received. Specifically what might be best to use to trace over the image. I quite like getting my hands dirty with this myself (it's why I do it really, all good learning experience) but will ask for help if I get stuck. Cheers again

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Both these ideas (particularly the first) seem as if they're adhering to the letter rather than the spirit of the request from the festival.  Although they presumably won't own the copyright, I can't imagine producing an essentially identical map from a different source would go down well.

Of course, I'm not privy to the exact reasons behind the takedown request, but it might be worth running any plans past the festival first, especially if it's going to involve a lot of work.  

It's also possible that a really good job could lead to the map being used in an official basis.  I love this passion for all these aspects of the festival!

Yep, very true on first idea. I wasn't ever going to do that . I have asked about tweaking things but not getting a response any more.

It'd be getting really heavy handed if they had an issue with me doing a regular illustrated map. I do always state this stuff is unofficial. Is it any different, for example, from clashfinder providing a different way of consuming the line-up? It's just a map at the end of the day and I'm only putting it out there for a bit of fun and to help people.

4 hours ago, cerv said:

Cheers, yeah I've played around a little bit with QGIS. Any other tips on tools that might help I should look into are gratefully received. Specifically what might be best to use to trace over the image. I quite like getting my hands dirty with this myself (it's why I do it really, all good learning experience) but will ask for help if I get stuck. Cheers again

Personally I would use QGIS to create the data. A different layer for different feature types, this way you can 'trace' the features into the relevant later and add the relevent attribution.

QGIS will allow you to reference the air photo to the right projection too (can't remember the road code for the google projection if that's what your using) 

I dare say QGIS let's you export to Geojson but I can't say for sure as i have other tools in my tool kit for that with my work. 

Other open source GIS packages would do the trick too. 

Any questions let me know and if I can I'll help!

• 6 months later...