Michael eavis 'in talks with longleat'

Jakeyboy1986

http://m.somersetcountygazette.co.uk/news/14528980.GLASTONBURY_FESTIVAL__Michael_Eavis_confirms_talks_with_Longleat/

This article confirms Longleat as the much talked about alternative site.  It says Eavis is hoping to move there in 2019,  personally I think this could mean fallow year being pushed back to 2019  and this alternative event staged then. 

It also says he thinks Worthy farm is probably the best place for glastonbury. 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've thought that in future years the festival may evolve to be less centred on big acts on Pyramid (and elsewhere) and a visit to Longleat might just be a proof of concept try-out?

It appears to me that there will in future be fewer (if any) Mega Acts (Led Zep, Bowie, Prince, Who, etc.) so it may make sense that the festival became more diverse more arts based with the emphasis on a shared experience, a wonderland. More Avalo, Green Spaces and the Naughty Corner than mahoosive performers in front of thousands?

It sounds interesting anyway without having to ditch the Glastonbury vibe if it doesn't work.

Interesting, could look at it from two perspectives:

1) They want to maintain the iconic image of Glastonbury proper, with the Pyramid and that history etc, so Glastonbury keeps getting the "big acts". Therefore the new festival is more of an arts and entertaining festival.

2) They want to take Glastonbury back to its roots so the "big bands" are shipped off to a bigger site elsewhere, and Glastonbury proper becomes the artier, more alternative festival.

Or maybe they run them together Coachella, or Reading and Leeds style?

There's no real indication of permanency with the move or not in the statements I have read. A 2019 'move' would seem to indicate that he means that the "Glastonbury Festival" itself will be moved (i.e. not a different festival staged there during the fallow year), and we presume that this will be over a single fallow year and then the festival would return to Pilton. The danger is that a successful move in the fallow year would still mean that a long term proposal to permanently relocate the festival could still be on the cards.

I know there are cows on Worthy Farm and they 'put up with' the noise but I am not sure how all this will effect the large number of very different animals at Longleat. Some do not take well to changes in circumstances, such as Rhino, and it concerns me that they might suffer.

3 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

I know there are cows on Worthy Farm and they 'put up with' the noise but I am not sure how all this will effect the large number of very different animals at Longleat. Some do not take well to changes in circumstances, such as Rhino, and it concerns me that they might suffer.

I might be wrong but I think I read somewhere that the safari Park occupies only a small part of the overall Estate,  so it could be feasible that the animals are able to remain undisturbed,  although I would imagine there could be some sort of impact on them.  Depending of course on the size of the festival,  the new event could end up being considerably smaller in size than Glastonbury.  Or bigger.  Who knows...

12 minutes ago, Festival Liam said:

Interesting, could look at it from two perspectives:

1) They want to maintain the iconic image of Glastonbury proper, with the Pyramid and that history etc, so Glastonbury keeps getting the "big acts". Therefore the new festival is more of an arts and entertaining festival.

2) They want to take Glastonbury back to its roots so the "big bands" are shipped off to a bigger site elsewhere, and Glastonbury proper becomes the artier, more alternative festival.

Or maybe they run them together Coachella, or Reading and Leeds style?

Either way, or any other way they approach it, I'm curious to see how people will respond to it. People can be quite hostile to change, bet there are people writing it off before it's happened.. I'll be keeping an eye on this anyway.

Just watched the full interview with Michael. Is it just me or does he seem very uncomfortable talking about it? Seems to be a bit tongue tied.

The way I'm reading what he says is that they definitely need an alternative location for the fallow year. They also definitely need a location that can be a backup for if it can't be at worthy farm for whatever reason. It also sounds like he's having early stage thoughts of potentially moving there permanently if they need to. The fact he says 'We've had a good run at Worthy Farm for 46 odd years' sounds like a justification for a future permanent move.

I think they'd be very sensible to find a backup location but I'd be gutted if it moved permanently. However they clearly know how special Worthy Farm is to many people and if they did move it permanently then I'm sure it would be for a very good reason.

13 minutes ago, Jamie D said:

Just watched the full interview with Michael. Is it just me or does he seem very uncomfortable talking about it? Seems to be a bit tongue tied.

The fact he says 'We've had a good run at Worthy Farm for 46 odd years' sounds like a justification for a future permanent move.

I imagine he would be very uncomfortable, the thought of having to stage such a successful event elsewhere is a huge gamble on the festivals future.

I still think, even in this interview, there's an extended act of brinksmanship happening, targeted at the current landowners, which in itself is probably uncomfortable territory to be in. You have to constantly assess how far you go with it. 

5 minutes ago, djdavejohnson said:

I imagine he would be very uncomfortable, the thought of having to stage such a successful event elsewhere is a huge gamble on the festivals future.

I still think, even in this interview, there's an extended act of brinksmanship happening, targeted at the current landowners, which in itself is probably uncomfortable territory to be in. You have to constantly assess how far you go with it. 

Agreed.  That's why I think he keeps talking about a "move", even though Emily trying to reassure the punters by talking about it as a new event.  Michael wants to pressure the neighbours, Emily doesn't seem to have the same agenda.

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Agreed.  That's why I think he keeps talking about a "move", even though Emily trying to reassure the punters by talking about it as a new event.  Michael wants to pressure the neighbours, Emily doesn't seem to have the same agenda.

Sounds most logical to me. Also, it would seem a waste to move considering the amount of money they have spent on infrastructure etc at WF.

Another thing that just came to mind, if they're looking at 2019, could they be thinking of a 2 year 'fallow' for Glastonbury, has there ever been a break longer than a year?

16 minutes ago, djdavejohnson said:

7 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I suppose having at Longleat on the fallow year and having it as an official backup venue would be the ultimate message to the landowners surrounding Worthy Farm - "we've proven we can do it somewhere else and we can do it again. Now play nicely"

Edited by Jamie D
spelly

Interesting potential choice of venue, roads are pretty similar to Pilton maybe a little easier? Longleat hosts a sold out Elton John concert on the 12th June will be a test of how the traffic holds up albeit with many less attending.

Much less concerning than it seemed when the rumours started a few months back - most significant is that ME is laying the groundwork for pushing back the fallow year again!

6 minutes ago, morph100 said:

How much to stay in the west wing of the house?

Argh! When I dream about Glastonbury it's always really messed up, there's always a massive (stately?) house and I'm quite often trying to find a room to sleep in but they're all full (probably the anxiety of finding a camping spot :lol:) My dream is starting to come true!!!  :o

Bit of a gutter for me as I grew up in Warminster, and actually went to school with Ceawlin Thynne. Also used to go to Longleat for all my teenage nightclub days at the now gone (I believe) Oscars and The Berkeley Suite. I'm also struggling to see where on the estate they could do a whole Glasto. The back entrance at Horningsham is too small, the entrance by Corsley is ok but is by the safari park and the main entrance is used by tourists......

For me though there will be no magic at Longleat. It is actually imho the most beautiful stately home in England, and the view from Heaven's Gate is just, well, heavenly, but when you've been somewhere a hundred times to drink warm cider and chance it with the local ladies dressed in shirt and Paisley tie (yep I'm that old) I'm afraid all mystique is gone...

1 hour ago, mooro said:

Bit of a gutter for me as I grew up in Warminster, and actually went to school with Ceawlin Thynne. Also used to go to Longleat for all my teenage nightclub days at the now gone (I believe) Oscars and The Berkeley Suite. I'm also struggling to see where on the estate they could do a whole Glasto. The back entrance at Horningsham is too small, the entrance by Corsley is ok but is by the safari park and the main entrance is used by tourists......

For me though there will be no magic at Longleat. It is actually imho the most beautiful stately home in England, and the view from Heaven's Gate is just, well, heavenly, but when you've been somewhere a hundred times to drink warm cider and chance it with the local ladies dressed in shirt and Paisley tie (yep I'm that old) I'm afraid all mystique is gone...

Good old Oscars, had some good nights out there in my youth, think it's a Costa coffee now!

Also agree about access to the site, be interesting to see how they propose it.  The estate is definitely big enough to host a big festival, but limited in terms of getting on to it.