Bowie and Prince what tributes are planned?

angelin

Im not talking bands murdering their songs.  Looking at the full line up i cant see any official tributes? I know theres the sing a long on the Thursday night but will the live set still be shown? Will there be any Prince partys going on do youu think?

33 minutes ago, angelin said:

Im not talking bands murdering their songs.  Looking at the full line up i cant see any official tributes? I know theres the sing a long on the Thursday night but will the live set still be shown? Will there be any Prince partys going on do youu think?

There's several official tributes on on the lineup.. The Heroes Symphony thing at The Park on Saturday Night.. A Bowie tribute in the Glade Lounge and another in the Stonebridge Bar, Hot Chip remembers Prince at Genosys on the Friday.

24 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Bowie's old band arent playing anywhere are they?

seems that was quietly shelved. I wouldnt be surprised if the 2000 gig isnt shown either.

Unfortunately too much time has passed, most of the grief stricken mourners have forgotten all about him.

Edited by russycarps

12 minutes ago, russycarps said:

seems that was quietly shelved. I wouldnt be surprised if the 2000 gig isnt shown either.

Unfortunately too much time has passed, most of the grief stricken mourners have forgotten all about him.

The initial reaction was crazy OTT in fairness. The Park tribute is quite unique though. 

I wouldn't be surprised if they still show the gig but announcing it for Thursday would be a bit of a mess. 100,000 people turning up to a half open Pyramid Field. 

Edited by The Nal

5 minutes ago, The Nal said:

The initial reaction was crazy OTT in fairness. The Park tribute is quite unique though. 

I wouldn't be surprised if they still show the gig but announcing it for Thursday would be a bit of a mess. 100,000 people turning up to a half open Pyramid Field. 

Yep, the park tribute is probably enough really. That plus the aladdin sane bolt over the pyramid is a nice and quite understated tribute. The 2000 gig would be a happy bonus but perhaps having his band there as well is a bit overkill. Especially considering every band will be mutilating heroes and ziggy stardust.

Is that where the Frankie Knuckles one was? We couldnt get near it. Its a shame its nowhere central like Williams Green.  I went to see Holy Holy before Bowie died and they were absolutely brilliant and so are Woody Woodmanseys band either of them wouldve gone down well in the acoustic. They are both doing sell out shows and have been for awhile, with Bowies blessing 

21 hours ago, angelin said:

Is that where the Frankie Knuckles one was? We couldnt get near it. Its a shame its nowhere central like Williams Green.  I went to see Holy Holy before Bowie died and they were absolutely brilliant and so are Woody Woodmanseys band either of them wouldve gone down well in the acoustic. They are both doing sell out shows and have been for awhile, with Bowies blessing 

Eh?  Holy Holy is  Woody Woodmansey's band.  Which other band do you mean?

22 hours ago, angelin said:

The Frankie Knuckles thing was in Downlow. It was my first year and I had no idea how busy it would be. Spent a full hour crying when I couldn't get in.

Genosys is an outdoor stage so should hopefully be a bit better. 

Emily has confirmed they will be showing the 2000 gig on the Pyramid but I think it'll be shown in intervals inbetween bands.

They wouldn't really be able to show it on the Pyramid on Thursday as they're usually still working on it + have all the metal fences up around the front.

1 minute ago, rpfranks said:

Emily has confirmed they will be showing the 2000 gig on the Pyramid but I think it'll be shown in intervals inbetween bands.

They wouldn't really be able to show it on the Pyramid on Thursday as they're usually still working on it + have all the metal fences up around the front.

Well they could - just get the PA and screens ready a day early, like they did in 2004 and 2010 for the footie.

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

Well they could - just get the PA and screens ready a day early, like they did in 2004 and 2010 for the footie.

They could but then they won't show the football any more either so doubt they'll open the Pyramid a day early if I'm honest

Rob Da Bank and Tayo have been playing Prince sets for quite a few years now - I remember seeing them do it at Bestival around 2010. I expect they'll get a bigger crowd this time around!

I think what they are doing is about right. Putting the songs on between acts is a nice touch, something I'd much prefer to them just showing the whole thing on screens before the festival. It'll be more of a nice surprise, and get the crowd going as well.

Is this definite then, i.e. songs in between acts? Or are we just speculating?

4 minutes ago, big__phil said:

I think what they are doing is about right. Putting the songs on between acts is a nice touch, something I'd much prefer to them just showing the whole thing on screens before the festival. It'll be more of a nice surprise, and get the crowd going as well.

I do agree to a certain extent, although I was actually looking forward to seeing the set in full on the Thursday! The thing is if they show songs on the screens in between acts, you have to be at the main stages to catch them, which I (and I guess many others) won't necessarily be.

16 minutes ago, djdavejohnson said:

Is this definite then, i.e. songs in between acts? Or are we just speculating?

Yeh, I'm sure I read a quote from Emily saying that was the plan.

16 minutes ago, djdavejohnson said:

I do agree to a certain extent, although I was actually looking forward to seeing the set in full on the Thursday! The thing is if they show songs on the screens in between acts, you have to be at the main stages to catch them, which I (and I guess many others) won't necessarily be.

It would have been nice to have a good sing on the Thursday, but never mind. Still better than nothing! Fair point about the main stages, but I expect they'll be stuff popping up all over the place.

All artists are required to cover one of (or both) "Purple Rain" and "Heroes", special dispensation can be granted to play "Raspberry Berret" or "Life On Mars" but there must be accompanied by an anecdote illustrating the "Purple One's Sense Of Humour" or "Mr. Jones Uncommon Generosity of Spirit"

All tributes are sponsored by Kleenex for Men.

14 minutes ago, big__phil said:

Yeh, I'm sure I read a quote from Emily saying that was the plan.

It would have been nice to have a good sing on the Thursday, but never mind. Still better than nothing! Fair point about the main stages, but I expect they'll be stuff popping up all over the place.

Quite right - there is plenty of other tribute-y bits and bobs so not a big issue at all.