Glastonbury Guest List.. Is there such thing ?

adamg1602

Yes there is.

however it depends on who the band is and whether they are big enough to command guest spaces.

You can't just turn up and say you're on the guest list. A pass/band gets sent out in advance. The band has to arrange it for you. 

24 minutes ago, adamg1602 said:

So it is possible to gain admission through a name on a guest list on entrance without having a GA ticket ? 

It depends what you mean. There's no list of names checked off at the gate itself, it just wouldn't be workable to do that.

A guest list of sorts does exist, via tickets left for collection at one of the cabins at Gate A. But the ticket absolutely needs to be collected before going to the actual Gate. Generally speaking most people, including performers and their guests, get issued with a physical ticket one way or another either in advance or by collecting it on the way in.

The only people who don't get issued physical tickets are workers with Oxfam etc who get issued wristbands directly by their organisation.

8 hours ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Any guests will have crew'guest/performer tickets in advance. The chances of turning up and blagging that you are on a guest list are ,I would say, zero. Imagine how much experience of clocking blaggers the gate crew have accumulated over the years.

I remember in 2003 I saw one of the worst attempts at blagging I've ever seen- the man tried walking through the gates with a laminated neck pass he'd made himself, pretending he was in a rush and didn't have time to be stopped and examined! Needless to say he failed miserably! 

as mentioned, it's all pre arranged and allocated prefest. I know of a few people who have played over the years, two bands that have had non-existent extra members ;) and a good friend used to DJ with BWRS on Babylon rising, few times they sorted him out with an artist ticket but last few times he played they couldn't get him one.

i had a se corner workers crew pass last year, I had too collect it pre-fest from the Shangri la office and they had a list but it was all made up names so they could be given out willy nilly too people who needed them last minute. 

Edited by bennyboi

well I may have to disagree with some although ' the system may have changed ' - this was the system in place in 2005 { and 2007/2008 }

I know this for sure as our Crew camp was outside the fence and we had to enter via the press/guest entrance - sure we were able to enter as we had our crew wrist band but many of the  press/guest's did not have tickets or a wrist band - there was a press/guest box office { well hidden } - this was in the field ' that is now named ' Rivermead ' { or close } - there was many people who showed up with a letter and they were for sure were checking a list - now what the letter said I don't have a clue but for sure ' they were not tickets ' 

we had to use that entry/exit each day and they were repeating the procedure

have no clue what extra ID they had to produce to back up their letter 

that whole area which used to be called ' West 24 ' - check it out - I have placed a red dot where the box office was had massive security - so they were checking the letter and then the press/guest pass - and as they walked though the wall ' there was a second check ' { even although it was only ten feet from the last check }

the other shot is the path that press/guest/wbc crew walked down which was the other side of the wall - at the end of that path there was a ' third security check '

it was driving us nuts because we of course had to leave that way and later on had to enter that way - it was for sure a right pain in the arse [ for wbc crew }

now we moved camp on 2009 so I cant say what they were doing all I know that was in place 2005/2007/2008.

while it used to be true ' at least for the WBC ' that crew arriving by car had to show a ' trader ticket ' { with no image on it } but this year this has been changed - any of the WBC who are using their own car ' will be issued a trader ticket { with face image } - it does not apply to crew using wbc coaches - they will be issued their crew wrist band by GFL after they check their details using a IPad { or whatever } within a crew coach area { next door to the bus station } - its the same system that was in place last year - once we have our Crew wrist band ' that coach will be stopped three times and  security will walk on and double check - it then heads up to our crew camping area { which is now called Dairy ground }  

vip-and-staff-entry-point.jpg

Imag8887e1.jpg

Edited by glasto-worker

25 minutes ago, bennyboi said:

as mentioned, it's all pre arranged and allocated prefest. I know of a few people who have played over the years, two bands that have had non-existent extra members ;) and a good friend used to DJ with BWRS on Babylon rising, few times they sorted him out with an artist ticket but last few times he played they couldn't get him one.

i had a se corner workers crew pass last year, I had too collect it pre-fest from the Shangri la office and they had a list but it was all made up names so they could be given out willy nilly too people who needed them last minute. 

Brilliant! :D

29 minutes ago, bennyboi said:

A huge amount of crew have names such as Alex, Jo, Jay, Chris, Sam, etc.... Then the ticket can be given to a recently recruited crew member of either sex. Most crew name lists have to be submitted in late March.

10 hours ago, incident said:

It depends what you mean. There's no list of names checked off at the gate itself, it just wouldn't be workable to do that.

A guest list of sorts does exist, via tickets left for collection at one of the cabins at Gate A. But the ticket absolutely needs to be collected before going to the actual Gate. Generally speaking most people, including performers and their guests, get issued with a physical ticket one way or another either in advance or by collecting it on the way in.

The only people who don't get issued physical tickets are workers with Oxfam etc who get issued wristbands directly by their organisation.

A number of teams do not get physical tickets inc. recycling crew etc

1 hour ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

A huge amount of crew have names such as Alex, Jo, Jay, Chris, Sam, etc.... Then the ticket can be given to a recently recruited crew member of either sex. Most crew name lists have to be submitted in late March.

Yeah this is the case, i think I was "Oliver" I also has a vehicle pass with some ridiculous band name on if that I couldn't find on the line up. 

I have been in three times with a band, all pyramid or Other performers and before 2007. The procedure with the pyramid band was each member of their band has been given a guest ticket and this was given to me. The other band had me put me on a list and I had to go to a cabin and my name was on it, I cannot remember if I had a letter or not it is possible. Another time I already had a ticket but did not have backstage access, the guy I knew on stage signalled across to me and the security guy at the entrance to Other backstage had a bag of wristbands that said Other Saturday on them and handed me one of those. That seemed to allow me to go anywhere!

when i lost my wrist band and had to sit outside for 5 hours by the tent , a guy walked up started chatting to the crew . gave his name., said something about his name being down and he was with some one. tyhey gave him a wrist band and let him in.

I thought he's blagging this will never work. I mean look at me I have a ticket and my picture on it , just my wrist band has fallen off and they are not even looking me in the eyes. 

and that joker walked in 

11 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

when i lost my wrist band and had to sit outside for 5 hours by the tent , a guy walked up started chatting to the crew . gave his name., said something about his name being down and he was with some one. tyhey gave him a wrist band and let him in.

I thought he's blagging this will never work. I mean look at me I have a ticket and my picture on it , just my wrist band has fallen off and they are not even looking me in the eyes. 

and that joker walked in 

what happened??

34 minutes ago, bennyboi said:

Yeah this is the case, i think I was "Oliver" I also has a vehicle pass with some ridiculous band name on if that I couldn't find on the line up. 

I've still got mine from 2010 in my box of mementoes, it simply says "Russel's mate Dave".

23 minutes ago, Respectfatfrog said:

what happened??

they let me in eventually, took me 5 hour sand a crate of beer. and good friends who kept me company.

i had only been in a few hours and then went back to the car the get the last bit of stuff noticed my wrist band had fallen off and was told to go to this tent to get another one. 

12 minutes ago, Spindles said:

I've still got mine from 2010 in my box of mementoes, it simply says "Russel's mate Dave".

Its brilliant isnt it, that for all the diligence, effort and privilege that is involved in the general sales, there is still a small part of the festival that there is a " I know a man" way and your mates can sort you out.  

The rules for performers/traders on a pedestrian gate last year were that you needed a specific  ticket to get through the gate (normally with a sticker with the name and association) , and you would then take the ticket to the relevant trader or area production office to be wristbanded. There were a few instances of performers/workers having to wait hours before someone came and delivered a ticket. I remember last year one of Deadmau5's workers/technicians having to wait nearly all day to be picked up by another roadie, and it was getting quite close to his set on the Other. 

The system is open to abuse though, there were a fair few fake trader tickets being used last year to gain entry.