Syrian Orchestra with Damon Albarn & Guests

DefLeppard

Apologies if this has been covered in another post but I couldn't see it... Does anybody have any idea what kind of stuff this will include? Sounds like an interesting alternative to James. Also I swear last year the Pyramid opened later than Other Stage opener. Maybe they have decided to do something a bit different with this and pit it against the other opener.

9 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I've seen them before and it's mainly a mixture of Blur and Gorillaz covers, done in a vaguely funky stylee.

Encore of Clint Eastwood into Song 2 was incredible.

That sounds great! I may have to give that a go as I love Blur and quite like Gorillaz. 

13 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I've seen them before and it's mainly a mixture of Blur and Gorillaz covers, done in a vaguely funky stylee.

Haha! Must be a wind up :lol:

5 minutes ago, beatlemania said:

the played for about 5 hours at a festival, didn't they?

I think you're thinking of Africa Express.

And as for what to expect from this show: it's a brand new setup for this summer, so there's no way of knowing. Glastonbury might even be their first performance, then they're doing the Southbank Saturday night, and then a couple of other festivals.

You could possibly expect to hear some of the orchestral stuff from Plastic Beach, possibly some special guest type jam things that they do with Africa Express (as they are billed as "Africa Express presents"), possibly none of the above. But I reckon it's gonna be something quite special 

The actual blurb is:

As a result of the on-going conflict, many Syrian musicians - including Issam Rafea - have been forced to leave the country. This special concert will see musicians who previously worked with Albarn, travelling from both inside and outside Syria, to reunite for an orchestral performance alongside Albarn and other guest performers. The event will highlight and celebrate the remarkable music culture of Syria, providing a more positive perspective than events currently seen in the news.

7 minutes ago, somecoolusername said:

And as for what to expect from this show: it's a brand new setup for this summer, so there's no way of knowing. Glastonbury might even be their first performance, then they're doing the Southbank Saturday night, and then a couple of other festivals.

You could possibly expect to hear some of the orchestral stuff from Plastic Beach, possibly some special guest type jam things that they do with Africa Express (as they are billed as "Africa Express presents"), possibly none of the above. But I reckon it's gonna be something quite special 

They're playing Amsterdam on Wednesday, 22nd June, so I guess we can find out what the setlist is like then.

4 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Well if what NME is telling their online readership is right...

What they’ll bring to the party: Several of the orchestra’s musicians appeared on Gorillaz’s ‘Plastic Beach’. Could we be in for some orchestral reworks of old material? Or there could be an outing of new Gorillaz music. But really, all we're after is a hangover cure on the Friday morning.

Wow. New Gorillaz music!!!