Glastonbury Opening Ceremony

Keithy

Just planning my clashfinder.........can anyone remember what time the opening ceremony in Kings Meadow starts? We had those mad fella's up the pole early evening but then they have all the fire dancing and stuff at the top. Vague recollection it all started at about 8pm-ish as the sun was setting...

I seem to remember in previous years it just seemed to happen as and when. I won't be bothering this time it gets VERY busy and it's the same every year. Fire Dancers, bit of poncing around, set fire to phoenix and let off fireworks. Done.

Gonna chill on the hill with some premixed Mojito.

28 minutes ago, Keithy said:

Just planning my clashfinder.........can anyone remember what time the opening ceremony in Kings Meadow starts? We had those mad fella's up the pole early evening but then they have all the fire dancing and stuff at the top. Vague recollection it all started at about 8pm-ish as the sun was setting...

What day was it even on? I seem to have a complete block, even though I attended last year, about the time or the day?

Edited by Larraht

3 minutes ago, Rumblestripe said:

I seem to remember in previous years it just seemed to happen as and when. I won't be bothering this time it gets VERY busy and it's the same every year. Fire Dancers, bit of poncing around, set fire to phoenix and let off fireworks. Done.

Gonna chill on the hill with some premixed Mojito.

Ditto. A hell of a squeeze for that, which I've now done at least twice. Seems to get busier every year as well.

9 minutes ago, Larraht said:

What day was it even on? I seem to have a complete block, even though I attended last year, about the time or the day?

Wednesday evening.

6 minutes ago, big__phil said:

Ditto. A hell of a squeeze for that, which I've now done at least twice. Seems to get busier every year as well.

It was a squeeze in parts. I worked my way to the front fairly easily and had quite a bit of space.

Starts when it gets dark enough, definitely after 10.

I'm in 2 minds about seeing something else this year too, although I've got a bunch of newbies with me who might appreciate it.

Always plenty of space on the right of the field looking up. No need to get in to the crowd really, what with the fireworks being up in the air and all :P

Edited by Junglist1981
more stuff!

40 minutes ago, Junglist1981 said:

Starts when it gets dark enough, definitely after 10.

I'm in 2 minds about seeing something else this year too, although I've got a bunch of newbies with me who might appreciate it.

Always plenty of space on the right of the field looking up. No need to get in to the crowd really, what with the fireworks being up in the air and all :P

i stumbled upon it last year. was very busy. will give it a miss this year and have a bimble

Fireworks kicked off around 10pm I think. A lot of the ceremony happens at the top of the hill, by whatever they burn, but the PA system is tiny so unless you're right at the front, it's a lot of waiting around until 10pm when you finally manage to see something.

It's not actually as busy as it looks- the problem is everyone seems to stand around the side entrance (that leads to the tipi area direction) and refuses to move despite security telling everyone that there is loads of space if they just moved in a bit. 

So the tip is, if you want to watch it, enter the field via the main path leading up from the green fields etc. NOT the side entrance. 

Went in 2014, never been previous 5 years, the actual show was quite good but too busy at back, too much waiting about. If you're not been before I'd say do it once but think we'll be elsewhere on site.... 

it's wednesday night, your first back on the farm in a year, there are worse places to hang out for a couple of hours with your mates while it all sinks in.  and it makes for a good destination after you've done the obligatory wander/bimble/barcrawl throughout the day.

From MDCs report on last year's festival. One of only 3 recommendations for 2016.

Although the field is large the entrances are not and are insufficient to ensure the recommended exit times required in the event of an emergency or indeed even for audience comfort. On the Wednesday evening there were significant bottlenecks at the entrances on the south and west entrances, with the east and north entrances being free flowing. The crowd density was not evenly spread throughout the field either with more people in the south part of the field than the north. There were also long queues for the toilets. A further bottleneck was observed between the healing and craft fields into Croissant Neuf and Green Futures during egress. There needs to be better crowd management plans in place if the firework show is to continue to be so popular and a rethink on whether this space is appropriate for special guest appearances on Wednesday evening.

http://www.mendip.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=11600&p=0

4 minutes ago, Junglist1981 said:

Interesting. Wonder if they'll move it, or put other stuff on elsewhere.

I should imagine it'd mean they won't have any other attractions before the fireworks ceremony, and quite possibly widen the entrances and encourage people use the whole field (perhaps by relocating the bonfire). If that doesn't resolve the problems there will most likely be a complete rethink about holding the fireworks up at the stone circle.