Camping with kids, not in family camping?

Miathedog

Hi, does anyone have experience of camping with kids outside of family camping? We've only ever been in family before but this year want to camp with friends who don't have kids. Our son is four. Worried about things being too hectic for him at night, and him being too hectic for others in the mornings. Anyone got any advice? We've always been in Cockmill, and wondered about the top of Big Ground, but that's just because we know it really, we have no real experience of the rest of the site for camping. Thanksx

I think there's two things to consider here..

Would you like your kid to be woken up at all hours by people having a good time, drunk, swearing etc?

And would everyone who has stayed up late want to be woken up by a kid in the early hours of the morning? 

I don't have kids so just sharing my thoughts really. I've never seen any kids in the areas I camp in and I'm quite a tolerant person so I'm not necessarily speaking about how I would feel. I guess I would suggest waiting until he is older (8+?) before camping in the 'adult' areas purely because of the activity that goes on in them. 

I would echo what stardust says and also about the queues for the loos etc. I am always amazed when we wander up the camping areas mid morning to do a general litterpick along the paths and see the queues for the loos. I dont think my kids could cope with that. 

I am going the other way and using my 12 year old as an excuse to camp in wicket just for more space etc!

2 hours ago, Miathedog said:

Hi, does anyone have experience of camping with kids outside of family camping? We've only ever been in family before but this year want to camp with friends who don't have kids. Our son is four. Worried about things being too hectic for him at night, and him being too hectic for others in the mornings. Anyone got any advice? We've always been in Cockmill, and wondered about the top of Big Ground, but that's just because we know it really, we have no real experience of the rest of the site for camping. Thanksx

Your party can camp in family if they are with you... have you asked them about this?

Just curious as to why you would want to be together. We did this once at shambala and it was a bit of a disaster as we were never at camp at the same time anyway. We came back earlier and so we asleep when they came back and we were up and out to some kids craft thing before they were up. If we did it again we would arrange to meet up for lunch and check in and then see how the afternoon went instead.

We're all early risers who have camped together a lot over the years; one of the nicest things for us is the morning breakfast routine outside the tents and catching up on the previous day's adventures. Also, often we find ourselves back at similar times in the day/evening for a break, and again it's nice to sit together round the fire. We're much less likely to get together to watch bands as we all have different tastes. It would feel odd on our own, really not liking the idea of it, but I guess everyone is different.

33 minutes ago, Miathedog said:

We're all early risers who have camped together a lot over the years; one of the nicest things for us is the morning breakfast routine outside the tents and catching up on the previous day's adventures. Also, often we find ourselves back at similar times in the day/evening for a break, and again it's nice to sit together round the fire. We're much less likely to get together to watch bands as we all have different tastes. It would feel odd on our own, really not liking the idea of it, but I guess everyone is different.

I'd be concerned about the toddler being disturbed by drunken people in the night but I would probably give it a go at camping with your friends, assuming you have no concerns about your mates having late nights round the fire and waking up your child. (Some kids can sleep through anything!)

If, after a couple of days, it's too difficult, presumably you could always de-camp to somewhere quieter that still has room (apparently Darble, Pylon and Big Ground aren't too bad for late arrivals).

Should a move prove necessary, you could always turn up for brekkie and meet up at your friends' campsite as per usual, even if you're not actually kipping in the same spot together.

Thanks for replies again, lots to think about. He can sleep through anything, but can also be a handful early! Thinking perhaps we may have to separate and meet for brekkie... hopefully they can get a spot fairly nearby. We will give it some more thought.

I'm not 100% but I don't think there's a limit with the child to adult ratio for family camping.  As long as there is a kid you are in... If you arrive together... Maybe try this or if not wicket has a non-family section (or at least it did last year) at the top... Best of both worlds?

My experience is that the entrance to wicket is berry softly policed by the campsite crew, I've arrived a day earlier than the child in my group and we had 4 adults to 1 child and none of theis was ever questioned. I assume if group of 20 pissed up lads in their 20s arrived without a child they'd be asked to go elsewhere but I haven't ever seen anyone questioned on entry as the on the whole it seems to be relatively self policing. 

I eould absolty recommend wicket wicket and this your a bit mad to try and do general camping with a 4 year old, noise issues aside som other issues why I think it's a better option. 

The tiolets tend to be cleaner and they have a few childrens sized compost tiolets as well.

The field is fenced in with only 2 exits making it much more difficult do a child to get very far if they do wonder off.

people generally tend to be cleaner so there is almost always no real litter about 4 a child to fall in/on or pick up because it looks interesting during the 30 seconds your distracted. 

There tends to be much more space between tents making it easier to get buggies/trollies to your tent (if your using one to transport children)