Coolbox advice needed! Coleman vs Igloo.

sazindie

Hi guys, please help me out here...

I'm in the market for a passive cooler for Glastonbury but also other family camping trips throughout the year, we've got a trailer tent so size/portability isn't a huge issue. I'm stuck between the Coleman Xtreme and Igloo Maxcold. I can find a 30 litre Xtreme on eBay for fifty odd quid, and a larger 56 litre Maxcold for the same price. They both claim to keep items cool for 5 days. Does anybody have any personal experience of either cooler, before I go and buy the Igloo simply on price alone, or recommend another brand that can keep things cool for that length of time?

Thanks!

I've had the 36qt Coleman extreme for years and it's definitely worth the £50 I paid for it, even in 2010, when the temperature in my tent was >35c at mid day every day we still had cold drinks on the Monday morning. 

1 hour ago, fur_q said:

I've had the 36qt Coleman extreme for years and it's definitely worth the £50 I paid for it, even in 2010, when the temperature in my tent was >35c at mid day every day we still had cold drinks on the Monday morning. 

Same here - brilliant coolbox & definitely agree it keeps stuff cool for 5 days.  Definitely worth pre-cooling the box (I find filling it with bags of frozen veg for 12 hours works well) and making sure that everything going into it is either frozen or as close to zero as possible.  

It's a fine art getting cans of beer/cider as cold as possible without them quite freezing! Had a few disasters... :rolleyes:

Another vote for the Coleman.  I don't think you can go wrong with either to be honest. How effective they are depends on how you use them...

Mainly these are the tips.  1) you need to get one that's specially designed for long term use.  The cheaper ones won't cut it.  2) you need to freeze everything you can (so Capri sun's /mixers etc) don't bother with cool blocks they take up space. 3) you can pre-charge the a few days before the festival.  Basically fill with bagged ice then empty out before packing. Pack at the very last minute and avoid empty space as it's the air getting in and getting warm that increases the temps... thats why we open it as little as possible... and if you take a can out we add one back in...(until gone)

A space blanket can help as well as both a liner and something over the top.

Preparation and good common sense should keep either cool for an extended period of time

Edited by Peroni
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, sazindie said:

Hi guys, please help me out here...

I'm in the market for a passive cooler for Glastonbury but also other family camping trips throughout the year, we've got a trailer tent so size/portability isn't a huge issue. I'm stuck between the Coleman Xtreme and Igloo Maxcold. I can find a 30 litre Xtreme on eBay for fifty odd quid, and a larger 56 litre Maxcold for the same price. They both claim to keep items cool for 5 days. Does anybody have any personal experience of either cooler, before I go and buy the Igloo simply on price alone, or recommend another brand that can keep things cool for that length of time?

Thanks!

We have the Igloo Maxcold 70 and it is without a doubt our best ever camping purchase! I would not recommend anything much smaller as by the time you have loaded ice (I use a frozen 5L water bottle) there is not as much space as you would imagine.

This is a brilliant thread on the are of using a passive coolbox! :) 

Edited by StoneCircle

12 minutes ago, StoneCircle said:

We have the Igloo Maxcold 70 and it is without a doubt our best ever camping purchase! I would not recommend anything much smaller as by the time you have loaded ice (I use a frozed 5L water bottle) there is not as much space as you would imagine.

This is a brilliant thread on the are of using a passive coolbox! :) 

Oo thanks for the tip on box size. I was thinking we wouldn't need one too large as I don't drink and wouldn't want loads of empty space inside, but I'm sure my husband will find some cans to help fill it up ha!

Will check out the thread now, thanks!

24 minutes ago, sazindie said:

Oo thanks for the tip on box size. I was thinking we wouldn't need one too large as I don't drink and wouldn't want loads of empty space inside, but I'm sure my husband will find some cans to help fill it up ha!

Will check out the thread now, thanks!

I freeze milk, juice and water and place that in the Igloo too, :)

It's probably rare that people will have owned both.  They're both excellent as far as i can tell, so people will just vouch for the one they own.  I own an Igloo, but i'm sure i could own a Coleman and be satisfied.  I think it's probably down to the size and look that works for you.

Many happy ice cubes.

Edited by Bonedaddy

I went for a coleman extreme a few years ago and love it. Didn't get a huge one due to space, think it was the 36Quart. Arrived at glastonbury Wednesday night and still had cold water in it on Sunday afternoon.

Definitely pre-charge it a few days before you travel. For my box, i bought a few packs of 500ml water bottles from sainsburys and stuck them in the freezer.  They were the perfect length the line the bottom of the box when frozen, then i added my food, butter etc, then topped them off with another layer of frozen bottles (with sports caps, as the box is wider at the top). Had ice cold water all weekend and it kept everything nicely chilled.

Go outdoors had some good bargains when i got mine, but that was 2013, Looks like my model is still available online:

http://www.winfieldsoutdoors.co.uk/coleman-36-quart-xtreme-cool-box/?gclid=Cj0KEQjw7LS6BRDo2Iz23au25OQBEiQAQa6hwIbJjtHGXH5_zhWtTCei9-WGlzwlAOpFKsmgy5A8GoQaAiMV8P8HAQ

But you may want the bigger version.

Pay a bit extra and go for the 50qt Coleman Xtreme. You won't be disappointed. As others have said, pre-charge it at least 24 hours before you pack it. And no cool blocks. We find that the litre cartons of orange (other fruit juices available) frozen solid are ideal for putting round the sides and a couple on the bottom of the box prior to packing. You also have ice cold juice to help with that morning hangover!

We don't bother putting cans in ours, they just go underneath the groundsheet when we get set up.

Shaun.

Ive never bothered pre cooling mine and it still lasts the 5 days. I Usually freeze something like 1 3ltr bag of Weston's cider (the still stuff in a box) 8 cans of boddingtons (nitrogenated beer will freeze without the can exploding carbonated will not) and a couple of 1 liter juice cartons, then use a bag of ice cubes to fill any gaps between. Other than the ice cubes I don't freeze anything I wouldn't take with me to drink anyway as ice is just dead weight.  

I went the whole hog with mine for Bearded Theory last week. Pre-cooled.  Frozen water bottles etc.

I left home Tuesday 1pm.  I was still drinking cold beer Sunday pm.  Also had a little ice still bouncing around.  It was pretty warm as well last week.

Mine is the Coleman Extreme.  

On 5/29/2016 at 2:27 PM, Peroni said:

Another vote for the Coleman.  I don't think you can go wrong with either to be honest. How effective they are depends on how you use them...

Mainly these are the tips.  1) you need to get one that's specially designed for long term use.  The cheaper ones won't cut it.  2) you need to freeze everything you can (so Capri sun's /mixers etc) don't bother with cool blocks they take up space. 3) you can pre-charge the a few days before the festival.  Basically fill with bagged ice then empty out before packing. Pack at the very last minute and avoid empty space as it's the air getting in and getting warm that increases the temps... thats why we open it as little as possible... and if you take a can out we add one back in...(until gone)

A space blanket can help as well as both a liner and something over the top.

Preparation and good common sense should keep either cool for an extended period of time

I have a Coleman too, when you say you add cans back in, does this not bring the temperature down? or does the reduced amount of empty space keep it just as cool but with the bonus of extra cold cans? :rolleyes:

Towards the end of the festival last year I only had a few bits left in my coolbox and although they were fairly cool they were no longer ice cold. I did have issues pre charging it though, I put the whole box in my walk in freezer at work a couple days before but with the lid closed so it insulated the warmth and none of my contents froze properly!

Also if anyone is looking to buy an igloo, this seems like a really good deal:

http://www.costco.co.uk/view/p/igloo-maxcold-island-breeze-62-quart-rolling-cool-box-198846

We go with a one in one out fashion... keeps other cans cold and reduces the air flow...

1 hour ago, Frankie. said:

I have a Coleman too, when you say you add cans back in, does this not bring the temperature down? or does the reduced amount of empty space keep it just as cool but with the bonus of extra cold cans? :rolleyes:

Towards the end of the festival last year I only had a few bits left in my coolbox and although they were fairly cool they were no longer ice cold. I did have issues pre charging it though, I put the whole box in my walk in freezer at work a couple days before but with the lid closed so it insulated the warmth and none of my contents froze properly!

Also if anyone is looking to buy an igloo, this seems like a really good deal:

http://www.costco.co.uk/view/p/igloo-maxcold-island-breeze-62-quart-rolling-cool-box-198846

I'm probably massively overthinking this :rolleyes:  But was wondering whether to try layering cans in the coolbox on a per-day basis, with sheets of foil in between each layer to stop airflow.  Obviously in addition to all the pre-cooling, freezing stuff etc.

Anyone tried this?

5 hours ago, jimmillen said:

I'm probably massively overthinking this :rolleyes:  But was wondering whether to try layering cans in the coolbox on a per-day basis, with sheets of foil in between each layer to stop airflow.  Obviously in addition to all the pre-cooling, freezing stuff etc.

Anyone tried this?

I think you are overthinking it, as long as you've got plenty of frozen stuff in to begin with its fine in my experience. 

• 1 year later...

Hi, I've been reading all the great advice, I am looking to invest in an igloo max cold for a five day camping trip in August.

i was wondering could I do the pre cooling by placing it in a chest freezer for 24 hours or do you think this would potentially damage it?

all advise would be greatly appreciated!

thanks Gary

19 hours ago, Hairlounge said:

Hi, I've been reading all the great advice, I am looking to invest in an igloo max cold for a five day camping trip in August.

i was wondering could I do the pre cooling by placing it in a chest freezer for 24 hours or do you think this would potentially damage it?

all advise would be greatly appreciated!

thanks Gary

Only if you can fit it in with the lid open. Otherwise the temperature inside the Igloo will remain unchanged due to its insulation.

We were once in The Lake District in winter of 2009 where it dropped to -18c - so we used the Igloo to prevent food from freezing solid!! 

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...