Travelling to and from a hotel

coreyt409

I've been going to Reading for the past 4 years, first year when I was 16, and for 'undisclosed reasons', me and my girlfriend have decided to never camp on richfield avenue again haha!

Anyway, this year I'll be driving up on the saturday (Bought Sat & Sun day tickets only) and we'll be staying in a Premier Inn not far from the train station.

Just wanted to know if anyone knew of any info on finding taxis from the festival at the end of each night or would it be better to just walk? Any other info on day tickets would be great as we've only ever camped in the past! Thanks in advance!

On 5/29/2016 at 10:05 AM, coreyt409 said:

I've been going to Reading for the past 4 years, first year when I was 16, and for 'undisclosed reasons', me and my girlfriend have decided to never camp on richfield avenue again haha!

Anyway, this year I'll be driving up on the saturday (Bought Sat & Sun day tickets only) and we'll be staying in a Premier Inn not far from the train station.

Just wanted to know if anyone knew of any info on finding taxis from the festival at the end of each night or would it be better to just walk? Any other info on day tickets would be great as we've only ever camped in the past! Thanks in advance!

This sounds like my boyfriend and I! 2014 was our last year camping and vowed never to camp again. Mentally scarred for life. We didn't manage to get a hotel (all fully booked now) If you don't mind the walk it shouldn't be too bad. We usually quite like a half hour peaceful walk to wind down for the night. We're going the Saturday and going to kip in the car before driving home the next day, would have preferred a hotel though! 

17 hours ago, AndrewSmith said:

Out of interest how much was it per night for the hotel? Camping for the 6th year but the last couple of years the fun has definitely been wearing off!

I think all the hotels in the surrounding area are booked, I did have a look a few weeks ago 

6 minutes ago, cb4747 said:

I think all the hotels in the surrounding area are booked, I did have a look a few weeks ago 

I was thinking more for future years, I'm camping this year but hoping to make it my last... (I've said that for 3 consecutive years now)

Just now, AndrewSmith said:

I was thinking more for future years, I'm camping this year but hoping to make it my last... (I've said that for 3 consecutive years now)

brave! I couldn't cope with camping there anymore. I think if you book fairly early the premier inn right next to it would be a fair rate and you know what you're getting with a premier inn! Camping at reading is for the very brave. 

3 minutes ago, cb4747 said:

brave! I couldn't cope with camping there anymore. I think if you book fairly early the premier inn right next to it would be a fair rate and you know what you're getting with a premier inn! Camping at reading is for the very brave. 

I've never had any major problems but we've always camped in relatively quiet areas that don't get flooded and we've always been a group of 5-12 people each year. Worst I've ever experienced is V Festival for camping, every tent around us got robbed on my 2nd (and last year) at that one.

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/06/2016 at 5:39 PM, AndrewSmith said:

Out of interest how much was it per night for the hotel? Camping for the 6th year but the last couple of years the fun has definitely been wearing off!

Just saw this as I haven't been online much recently, just been to Download festival and not read the forums much!  I believe it was 230 for 2 nights, bit steep but we haven't bought a full weekend ticket and we get the luxury of our own bed, showers, keeping dry, and no dragging bags and trolleys across the site, so not a bad deal in my eyes haha!

On 01/06/2016 at 0:33 PM, cb4747 said:

This sounds like my boyfriend and I! 2014 was our last year camping and vowed never to camp again. Mentally scarred for life. We didn't manage to get a hotel (all fully booked now) If you don't mind the walk it shouldn't be too bad. We usually quite like a half hour peaceful walk to wind down for the night. We're going the Saturday and going to kip in the car before driving home the next day, would have preferred a hotel though! 

We did have that idea too about going saturday, having a few hours in the car then coming home sunday morning, but being the huge Biffy fans we are, we were forced to buy a Sunday ticket too in the end haha so hotel made sense!  I'm quite looking forward to seeing the festival from a 'clean' point of view though, and going in and out each day, as I've only ever camped at festivals in the past!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Corey - Reading reasident and 18 time weekender here - it's walking distance from my house.

The Premier Inns in Reading are either On Richfield Ave itself (Caversham) or the Central one in town - both are in walking distanceof the site. Not a short walk, but totally do-able, I personally wouldn't bother with a cab. Note that after midnight on Sunday they tip over into Bank Holiday rates too.   

If you're at the Central one you get to walk home past The Purple Turtle, a Reading institution and open until 4am. I was having a beer with the owner on Saturday, telling him I met my wife in there after the Sunday night of Reading 2010! :-)

• 1 month later...

I've hoteled it every year since the wet 2004 one

Prices have varied year on year, it's normally a case of the earlier you book he better, so if you know your going in 2017, book as soon as dates are open (normally early Sept)

The Accor hotels (Ibis, Mercure, Novotel) normally seem to get my business, rates have varied over the years (and time we booked) from around 90 quid a night up to 160

Taxis are readily available outside the festival (exit to the left of the main stage opens post headline closure), queues ca be long but move relatively quickly 

we normally grab a pizza from the pop up dominoes stand on Richfield Av and walk it. It's about 20 mins back to the center

Edited by Benj