Keeping warm at in tent

pinkmolly226

any tips for keeping warm at night? I'm always cold and I usually bring 2 sleeping bags and a blanket for the tent but as we are travelling by coach this time we're keeping luggage to a minimum. 

Any sort of light but warm clothes anyone could recommend?  Fleecy pj's are great but take up too much room.

The one sleeping bag never keeps me warm (might have something to do with me always buying the cheapest ones I can find right enough) 

we'll be getting our sleeping bags from cozy camper this year. 

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The cheap sleeping bag is your downfall for sure, but also make sure you're using a decent mat, even a roll mat. They're not for comfort but to keep you warm. If you use a large inflatable mattress you still need a mat on top - air circulates inside the mattress and you'll lose heat to the ground. 

6 minutes ago, musky said:

The cheap sleeping bag is your downfall for sure, but also make sure you're using a decent mat, even a roll mat. They're not for comfort but to keep you warm. If you use a large inflatable mattress you still need a mat on top - air circulates inside the mattress and you'll lose heat to the ground. 

I never knew that about the mat, always have an inflatable mattress as well lol. I'll defo try that, they're practically weightless as well. Do you know if they do good sleeping bags in cozy camper? 

3 minutes ago, pinkmolly226 said:

I never knew that about the mat, always have an inflatable mattress as well lol. I'll defo try that, they're practically weightless as well. Do you know if they do good sleeping bags in cozy camper? 

I've no idea I'm afraid, though when I've looked on their website before they seemed to stock a lot of more budget end stuff. 

Yep - try and be a hairy fat drunk man. Works a treat for me too. 

Its normally the ground that's getting the cold into you - bung some newspaper under your rollmat, then put a fleecy throw on top of your inflatable mattress. The more layers of separation from the floor the better 

I always use to be cold before we started going to bed a lot earlier. Once I am cold outside the tent then nothing warms me up. As we have access to an urn I now take a hot water bottle which is lovely.

If we drive I take a sheepskin too which is toasty. As others have said though having the right sleeping bag is key and getting something between yourself and the ground.

Uniqlo have some great heat tech vests etc that are good too.

2 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

I always use to be cold before we started going to bed a lot earlier. Once I am cold outside the tent then nothing warms me up. As we have access to an urn I now take a hot water bottle which is lovely.

If we drive I take a sheepskin too which is toasty. As others have said though having the right sleeping bag is key and getting something between yourself and the ground.

Uniqlo have some great heat tech vests etc that are good too.

A hot water bottle is a great idea! Why have I never thought of that lol. 

Do you think someone at the food stalls would fill it up? 

There's a stall I visit every Wednesday of the festival that sells bolts of fleece/blankets.  On the drag from West Holts to Avalon.  It's £5 or £6 for a single-bed-size bit of fleece.  I sit on it during the day, wear it as a cloak on a cold evening and put it between my roll mat and the ground at night.  The sunday night in 2014 was so cold I rolled myself up in it before getting in my sleeping bag.  Worked like a charm.  Best fiver I spend.  Especially cos my guinea pigs are bedded on fleece so they get the blanket when I bring it home. :)  (That stall sells some lovely patterns :D )

Cheep fleece blanket on floor of tent, thermarest mat (expensive but the self inflating ones have proved vfm investment over the years), good sleeping bag usually do for me and I am a cold person.  Merino wool base layers are great to to wear/sleep in if you really feel the cold and they are thin so light to carry.

33 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I find being a hairy, fat drunk man normally sorts out any problems with getting cold. 

Lol I am in the same boat mate minus the hair

to the OP if you get cold at night and have any thermal long johns may help. Very light and go under your pjs

ALSO

I use those emergency blanket things - if you can get it in between the inner and outer of your tent if you get me, they radiate in heat during the night and keep the sun at bay in the morning giving you at least half an hour to an hour without getting too hot. They cost about 50p in Wilko and can fit in easily amongst your things

Edited by mungo57

19 minutes ago, pinkmolly226 said:

Any recommendations on sleeping bags? Maybe £40 budget? 

I just bought one if these to replace my - lamented elsewhere - missing Vango one.

http://www.nevisport.com/snugpak-travelpak-extreme-sleeping-bag

It's only two season so if you really suffer from the cold I'd throw an extra bit of cash at it to go up a grade.

I don't suffer from this, I'm generally in my boxers barely covered by my summer rated sleeping bag. 

But miss is terrible, she'll be fully dress with a wolly hat & a blanket over her bag and insist on being spooned. I'd say get someone to spoon you would be the best possible move.