Keeping warm at in tent

pinkmolly226

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

They're  expensive, but Thermarest will properly insulate you from the ground and they do roll up pretty small.

^^THIS and THIS vv

52 minutes ago, uscore said:

I find getting absolutely mashed and not really remembering going to bed helps. Particularly if bedtime is around 4am. It's only a couple of hours until it's far too hot then.

This combo works a treat for me, but normally i end up waking up next to the matt and not on it. :/

The matt take up a lot less space/weight than an inflatable mattress

Edited by karaseen

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, bennyboi said:

I don't suffer from this, I'm generally in my boxers barely covered by my summer rated sleeping bag. 

But miss is terrible, she'll be fully dress with a wolly hat & a blanket over her bag and insist on being spooned. I'd say get someone to spoon you would be the best possible move. 

I too am usually only clad in boxers in my tent at night as I tend to over- heat in my sleep regardless of external temperature- I even have to unzip my sleeping bag and use it as a blanket so I can better regulate my temperature! 

Can any scientist amongst us explain why some of us roast at night and some freeze? 

Edited by Mr.Tease

5 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I too am usually only clad in boxers in my tent at night as I tend to over- heat in my sleep regardless of external temperature- I even have to unzip my sleeping bag and use it as a blanket so I can better regulate my temperature! 

Can any scientist amongst us explain why some of us roast at night and some freeze? 

Because some of us are tiny women and others are great big hairy men?

I am always cold in the evening at festivals no matter what the weather's like. I've invested in a 3-4 season sleeping bag this year and I usually take a fleece blanket as well to lay on top of my airbed. We also line the floor of the tent with a couple of those fleecy roll up picnic rugs. Handy to carry about for a sit down too.

I'd take a quilt if I was going by car. Too many times I've bought crap duvets at festivals.

I easily get cold and I found this kept me really warm at night, I got left and right ones to zip together for snuggling and a thick self inflating mattress, did wake up really hot every morning though. 
Charm x

http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/camping/sleeping-bags/3-4-season-sleeping-bags/summit-250-sleeping-bag-p13091.aspx?cl=Berry

30 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

Because some of us are tiny women and others are great big hairy men?

Yeah I'm on the biggest, 5' 10" 13st n pretty lean and I have the body hair of a 20yo. 

I think people are like car engines, some just run hot 

I've got to admit I haven't read all the advice in this thread but a few things that will help.

Spend some money, go to an outdoors shop and explain your problem and I would probably not expect to get change out of £60. Think how much you are spending on sleeping bags when you keep replacing them. My sleeping bag is over twenty years old and cost me about £50 which was a shit load of paper round money at the time. If you get a decent bag it will have baffle at shoulder height, if you don't feel claustrophobic do this up and it will seal the warm air in, you can also close the opening so just your face is  outside the bag but I find this uncomfortable unless it's seriously cold.

Be careful what you wear in your sleeping bag, the reason that a load of the guys are saying that they are warm in just their boxers is because they are dry. If you go to bed wearing a load of clothes that you have sweated in you are going to get cold. If you get a decent sleeping bag try sleeping in your underwear if you aren't comfortable with that just try some thin dry clothes and only put them on as you get into your sleeping bag, cool max and other fabrics that wick moisture away from the skin are good. I normally sleep in a t-shirt as my sleeping bag is a bit warm for summer so I have it undone to about chest height.

Thermal mats do work but with a decent sleeping bag an air bed should be fine, I use a mat when out hiking and an air bed at festivals.

1 hour ago, Mr.Tease said:

This explains it quite well. 

1 minute ago, pinkmolly226 said:

Does anyone know where the cozy camper stall is located? Thinking of buying tent in there but worried about wandering around with all our luggage looking for it! We'll be camping in oxylers at other stage I think and coming by coach 

I asked them on Facebook, in Silver Hayes this year.

Most of my tips have already been shared. I also suffer from cold quite a bit and after 6 festivals I've nailed it.

Always wear Woolly hat, leggings under PJs, fleece jumper and socks.  Good tog sleeping back and have something between you and ground.  I go for a space blanket in underneath my airbed, with a sheet on and fleece blanket layer. 

Other thing is try not to make sure you tent is not too big.  I know it seems like a good idea to have all that space but if you are a 1 man in a 6man tent you've got a lot of spare space which is harder to keep warm..

32 minutes ago, Peroni said:

Most of my tips have already been shared. I also suffer from cold quite a bit and after 6 festivals I've nailed it.

Always wear Woolly hat, leggings under PJs, fleece jumper and socks.  Good tog sleeping back and have something between you and ground.  I go for a space blanket in underneath my airbed, with a sheet on and fleece blanket layer. 

Other thing is try not to make sure you tent is not too big.  I know it seems like a good idea to have all that space but if you are a 1 man in a 6man tent you've got a lot of spare space which is harder to keep warm..

Never thought of that about the tent, between my bf, me and all our luggage I'm thinking 4 man. 

I think we'll just need to order a lot of stuff from cozy camper this year to save us from carrying it all.  Getting the coach is great but you're so limited on what to bring! We'll be bring as much booze as we can carry lol. 

4 hours ago, SamJ said:

Cheep fleece blanket on floor of tent, thermarest mat (expensive but the self inflating ones have proved vfm investment over the years), good sleeping bag usually do for me and I am a cold person

I second this. I bought a self inflating mattress from Alpkit and it was a revelation to me. Definitely the best I've ever slept at a festival. I also take a couple of little fleece blankets that I bought at Disneyland years ago! The roll up and fasten so I can easily attach them to the outside io my rucksack and are pretty light. I put one under my sleeping mat and the other one over my sleeping bag if I need it, though since investing in a decent mat I usually don't. 

When ut it comes to what to wear, layers are the key as it can get very hot in the tent as the sun come up. As someone mentioned earlier, uniqulo do good light weight thermals. I often take a few pairs of M&S thermal leggings, during the day I wear them under shorts if it is cold, if it rains they dry quickly and if it is warm they are small and light to stick in my bag, then I wear them to sleep in too. Light, comfy and warm. 

17 minutes ago, pinkmolly226 said:

Do the space blankets help reflect the sun off the tent? Seen a few ppl do this but not sure how effective it would be 

The only time I've tried it (-2010) it was an unqualified success. My tent stayed nice and cool whilst everyone around me were getting their brains fried. 

Apoloies if it's been mentioned already, but I find putting a space blanket underneath your mattress works a treat - it stops the chill from the cold, damp floor rise into your tent. I've done this for the past couple of years and haven't looked back. 

5 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Wear a woolly hat. Just pop it on before you go to sleep.

I did this last year for the 1st time at 2 festivals and slept like a baby, highly recommended. 

Edited by whisty