Radiohead at Glastonbury 2016? A brief summary.

johnny-yen

4 hours ago, balti-pie said:

Maybe Radiohead are happy to play second on the bill because they've realised that their brand of bleepy stuff just isn't as interesting, engaging or relevant as when they used to use guitars.

In short, play more songs from The Bends, you miserable bastards *shakes fists*

If it is Radiohead, it sounds like they didn't book in early enough, and said oh we don't mind subbing. The festival organisers are hardly going to turn it down are they? I dunno if they would even bother asking Adele's permission. I would probably be a bit narked/nervous if I was Adele though. Although she seems like maybe she just wouldn't give a shit anyway. 

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only reason she'd have to be nervous is the fact its her first time doing anything remotley like it.  

Her music isn't especially nuanced, but it deals in the sort of big emotional gestures and melodramatic themes that make it inherently suitable for performing in front of colossal crowds.

By way of comparison, Radiohead 's music is mostly far more subtle and may not hold the interest of an enormous group of non-partisan viewers.   It's why Adele's Bond theme worked better than Radiohead's did.

People keep trying to compare her to crap female stars of yesteryear, but at the minute the act she most reminds me of is Morning Glory-era Oasis, where straightforward but heartfelt populism is embraced on a colossal scale.  

Except she's a lot more likeable and doesn't go about wearing a Kangol hat and saying she's "Mad for it" about everything. 

4 hours ago, balti-pie said:

Maybe Radiohead are happy to play second on the bill because they've realised that their brand of bleepy stuff just isn't as interesting, engaging or relevant as when they used to use guitars.

I'm guessing you weren't at the incredibly poorly-received Roundhouse gigs?

We all started chatting and grumbling during Idioteque...

Ben

7 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The only reason she'd have to be nervous is the fact its her first time doing anything remotley like it.  

Her music isn't especially nuanced, but it deals in the sort of big emotional gestures and melodramatic themes that make it inherently suitable for performing in front of colossal crowds.

By way of comparison, Radiohead 's music is mostly far more subtle and may not hold the interest of an enormous group of non-partisan viewers.   It's why Adele's Bond theme worked better than Radiohead's did.

People keep trying to compare her to crap female stars of yesteryear, but at the minute the act she most reminds me of is Morning Glory-era Oasis, where straightforward but heartfelt populism is embraced on a colossal scale.  

Except she's a lot more likeable and doesn't go about wearing a Kangol hat and saying she's "Mad for it" about everything. 

You wait till she releases her Be Here Now.

5 hours ago, balti-pie said:

I like the cut of your jib.

"Come on Koeman, pick Matt Le Tiss. It was all so much better way back before we played decent football and had actual tactics".

1 minute ago, Finding leto14 said:

Why is there another Radiohead thread? If anythings mainstream, it's radiohead on this forum. Don't get me wrong I like them as a band, but this cult is just obsessive and hopefully we can get an answer tomorrow. If it's special guests then it will be overdrive on here

Na na na na na na! Leader! Leader! Leader! 

yorke.jpg

2 hours ago, Festival Liam said:

If it is Radiohead, it sounds like they didn't book in early enough, and said oh we don't mind subbing. The festival organisers are hardly going to turn it down are they? I dunno if they would even bother asking Adele's permission. I would probably be a bit narked/nervous if I was Adele though. Although she seems like maybe she just wouldn't give a shit anyway. 

The festival books acts, not the other way around.

On 28 May 2016 at 6:27 AM, brownso said:

The reasons for the belief that they will be playing essentially stems from some info Neil and some others (although its hard to know who has real info and who is just repeating the original info) which suggests they will be playing at some stage over the festival.  The belief that they may be playing the main stage before Adele is essentially because there is no info about who else may be in this spot, there was chat that it was Disclosure for a while, but now they seem to be on the Other stage at some point.

Other than the smaller ones announced, no stage splits or days have been confirmed. Yes, some people will have ideas and know bits and pieces but it's still all changeable. There are loads of bands on that poster already, just most are dismissed based on a general consensus that they're not big enough, a consensus coming from the same people that also thought Adele wasn't big enough to headline. Madness could be opening for Adele for all I know.

1 hour ago, Woffy said:

I like the cut of your jib.

"Come on Koeman, pick Matt Le Tiss. It was all so much better way back before we played decent football and had actual tactics".

Radiohead being bleepy is tactics :lol: that's clearly catenaccio then, and I'd much prefer something a bit more exciting. Tbf the similarity between Radiohead fans and their attendant emperors new clothes dedication to every single new release no matter the quality is very much akin to weirdo football purists insisting a 0-0 draw between two defensive masterclasses is 'gripping drama'. Riiiiight . . . . 

2 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Radiohead being bleepy is tactics :lol: that's clearly catenaccio then, and I'd much prefer something a bit more exciting. Tbf the similarity between Radiohead fans and their attendant emperors new clothes dedication to every single new release no matter the quality is very much akin to weirdo football purists insisting a 0-0 draw between two defensive masterclasses is 'gripping drama'. Riiiiight . . . . 

"Smash the synths and the Apple Macs lads! Johnny hath made them! Johnny shall break them!"

7 hours ago, balti-pie said:

Possibly my fave Radiohead post on this forum so far! 

1 hour ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Woffy Dr Ben russy jparx Stuart and the rest hanging from the pyramid Saturday night if radiohead turn up but play Pablo honey in full before adele. 

Perfect. Then I'll pop to WH for a cheer up with James Blake (broken neck and asphyxiation willing, natch).

Ben