Radiohead at Glastonbury 2016? A brief summary.

johnny-yen

21 minutes ago, Abensie said:

Adele headlining Glasto is like Cilla Black headlining Woodstock. I think Eavis has lost the plot sometimes.

I see,  because someone said the thread was sexist you thought you'd fit in by comparing two people who only have the common attribute of being female singers?     :P

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, clarkete said:

I see,  because someone said the thread was sexist you thought you'd fit in by comparing two people who only have the common attribute of being female singers?     :P

Two middle of the road female entertainers. Although maybe that is a bit harsh on Adele.  How's about... Adele headlining Glasto is like George Formby headlining Ozfest?

(Joke - but seriously, just because i compared a female to a female i am sexist? Id be interested as to who you think would be a better match?  Joe Cocker perhaps? :-))

Edited by Abensie

34 minutes ago, Mardy said:

I'm about to start a new thread entitled 'Radiohead at Glastonbury 2016? A brief summary. A brief summary' 

That will make a nice two-page spread in the 2016 efests annual, in shops in time for Christmas

19 minutes ago, Abensie said:

Two middle of the road female entertainers. Although maybe that is a bit harsh on Adele.  How's about... Adele headlining Glasto is like George Formby headlining Ozfest?

(Joke - but seriously, just because i compared a female to a female i am sexist? Id be interested as to who you think would be a better match?  Joe Cocker perhaps? :-))

Sexist or not, it was a terrible comparison. 

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The fact that The so-called Modfather didn't shrivel up and die of embarrassment the second after he uttered his "I'm not having hip-hop at Glastonbury. It's wrong." spiel will be puzzling scientists for generations to come.

The quote does have a silver lining as Noel was proved wrong though. I see Jay-Z's booking as leading the way for the festival branching out to Kanye, Metallica and Beyonce.

4 or 5 of the acts I'm most looking forward to seeing I bet 90% of glasto would never have heard of. People still get way too fixated on the 'big names'.

I wont be seeing any of the Pyramid headliners and I'm not even sure if I'll even see anyone there this year. Radiohead would get me there and that's pretty much it.

I prefer the atmosphere at the other stage and the smaller stages. Always have.

I'll ignore the pathetic sexism accusations.

If radiohead do end up playing before adele then we will know for sure that record sales and mainstream popularity are all that matters in the eyes of the organisers, and the majority of the attendees.

Once upon a time people used to go to Glastonbury to get away from the mainstream, and mainstream people. It used to be a place to escape from the crushing dullness of it all. 

Adele headlining is one thing. Adele headlining with radiohead before her is quite another. It's a symbolic moment. The tipping point has finally happened. The mainstream masses are now in the majority. 

People in this thread are now actually being mocked for not liking chart music. Glastonbury has been taken over by the people we used to go to Glastonbury to get away from.

How depressing.

Edited by russycarps

3 minutes ago, russycarps said:

If radiohead do end up playing before adele then we will know for sure that record sales and mainstream popularity are all that matters in the eyes of the organisers, and the majority of the attendees.

Once upon a time people used to go to Glastonbury to get away from the mainstream, and mainstream people. It used to be a place to escape from the crushing dullness of it all. 

Adele headlining is one thing. Adele headlining with radiohead before her is quite another. It's a symbolic moment. The tipping point has finally happened. The mainstream masses are now in the majority. 

People in this thread are now actually being mocked for not liking chart music. Glastonbury has been taken over by the people we used to go to Glastonbury to get away from.

How depressing.

yeah bring back the days when small-fry unknowns like David Bowie, Paul McCartney and Rod Stewart headlined. is it that Glastonbury has been swallowed up by the mainstream, or perhaps it's been that way for a long long time and you just don't like what the mainstream is these days? Radiohead going on before Adele means nothing - if anything, it means they were too late to announce their touring plans, or just plain don't want to headline. it very much doesn't mean that Adele is being pushed above them and seen as a more important or better act

5 minutes ago, russycarps said:

How depressing.

Is that not the case for all major festivals though? The most popular acts tend to headline. 

I'm seeing us getting Radiohead (hopefully) as an added bonus really. We already have our headliners and being gifted a fourth headliner, which I'm certain that's what they'll be seen as, is absolutely huge. They may have been drafted in at a way later stage than the others, so they're not exactly going to bump Adele down to sub headline are they? For all we know, Radiohead might not even want to headline. If they did, pretty sure they'd just decline the invitation. 

The Pyramid stage often plays host to the 'mainstream' acts, there's a fucking goldmine of obscure and unheard talent elsewhere - not that you need me to tell you that.

Hate to break it to the Radiohead elitists, but they didn't get to headline twice before based on their "alternative" credentials. In 1997, OK Computer was the 8th best selling album of the year. Right between Celine Dion and Eternal.

Basically, they got the gig because they had broken into the mainstream..

You've all lost the plot. If they're playing can we not just be grateful that it's happening!? And who gives a toss if they're on before Adele? She's one of the biggest selling artists on the planet right now and will no doubt smash it for her many fans. Get a grip and enjoy the festival.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Yeah? That's a shit reason to go.  I go to be exposed to a wide variety of stuff that I probably wouldn't normally encounter. 

To be honest that kinda sounds like the same reason Russy gave...:P

1 hour ago, russycarps said:

How depressing.

Russy in some ways I'm on board with you, I wish Glasto was a bit less record sale oriented and a bit more quality oriented when it came to the headliners. 

But remember, this is a festival that had Rod Stewart headline in 2002 and invited Kylie to headline in 2005. It's a fallacy to claim some kind of a pendulum has swung, just be glad Adele draws away the kind of people that would see her from the other acts you do want to watch. 

3 hours ago, russycarps said:

People were saying that about some of the bands on the pyramid in the mid to late eighties when I first went.  Then as now, some folks could watch that, others would go to one of the other myriad of stages.

4 hours ago, incident said:

Hate to break it to the Radiohead elitists, but they didn't get to headline twice before based on their "alternative" credentials. In 1997, OK Computer was the 8th best selling album of the year. Right between Celine Dion and Eternal.

Basically, they got the gig because they had broken into the mainstream..

Not really true. Radiohead had released OK Computer only 1 month before the festival. I know there was hype surrounding OK Computer prior to the release, but I'm going to assume that Radiohead were booked to headline more than one month before the festival. So really they were invited to headline before the successes of OKC became apparent. And ultimately their 1997 show helped establish them as a premier rock band.

26 minutes ago, T-Mouse said:

Not really true. Radiohead had released OK Computer only 1 month before the festival. I know there was hype surrounding OK Computer prior to the release, but I'm going to assume that Radiohead were booked to headline more than one month before the festival. So really they were invited to headline before the successes of OKC became apparent. And ultimately their 1997 show helped establish them as a premier rock band.

Fair enough regarding the specifics of the album, but the point still stands - If they'd been a special secret that only a handful of people knew about, then they wouldn't have been put in that slot.

Maybe Radiohead are happy to play second on the bill because they've realised that their brand of bleepy stuff just isn't as interesting, engaging or relevant as when they used to use guitars.

In short, play more songs from The Bends, you miserable bastards *shakes fists*

12 hours ago, russycarps said:

Yeah I am sure looking at some of the headliners and subs we had in the 90s, they were all chosen because of their critical acclaim, not their popularity. 

Ridiculous rose tinted glasses even by your standards, or your trolling has lost its edge Russy.