Radiohead at Glastonbury 2016? A brief summary.

johnny-yen

1 hour ago, pastorofmuppets said:

I can only speak for myself, but if it seems like people aren't complaining about Coldplay, maybe that's because we're all just so tired of doing so.

Sick of hearing them, sick of hearing about them, sick of looking at them. At this point it's much easier to just try and pretend they don't exist, which is what I will be doing this year.

On a slightly related note, had a few drinks with one of our group last night and we started seriously discussing whether or not Bjork could headline. Just putting it out there.

I'm actually more sick of seeing people moaning about them (and the other headliners). To see people on a Glastonbury forum (where you'd think they'd understand how much completition the Pyramid headliners have) resorting to witlessly whining on about repeat bookings is whats tedious. Its easy to avoid music you don't like these days, its more difficult on here to avoid the cliched complaints that follow any mention of the headliners.

Edited by MEGABOWL

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

I'm actually more sick of seeing people moaning about them (and the other headliners). To see people on a Glastonbury forum (where you'd think they'd understand how much completition the Pyramid headliners have) resorting to witlessly whining on about repeat bookings is whats tedious. Its easy to avoid music you don't like these days, its more difficult on here to avoid the cliched complaints that follow any mention of the headliners.

Though that's less aggravating than the complaints that Emily has somehow ruined the festival by expanding the headliner booking policy beyond acts the would have beenat home on the Evening Session circa 1997.

10 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Who proved what? Ed Sheeran hasn't proved he isn't shit, unless I've missed something?

I'm not a fan and obviously wasn't there myself, but my guess is that by doing three nights at Wembley on his jack to good reviews and ecstatic crowds he's proven the sceptics wrong.

6 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I'm not a fan and obviously wasn't there myself, but my guess is that by doing three nights at Wembley on his jack to good reviews and ecstatic crowds he's proven the sceptics wrong.

I'm sceptical about him being good, not suitably big enough to headline.

Honest question, has he got any good tunes? Everything I've heard was terrible, but that's admittedly not much. YouTube  below.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

1 hour ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Hey guys, re-reading this thread made me feel like a bit of a tit, if any of my comments came off as snobby or sexist I'm really sorry, that's not what I intended at all.

I suspect I'm not the only one who had to go back and check your intriguing posts.  

I was disappointed that you weren't more of a tit tbh ;-)

2 minutes ago, clarkete said:

I suspect I'm not the only one who had to go back and check your intriguing posts.  

I was disappointed that you weren't more of a tit tbh ;-)

If it helps I could be one now? I was the one who started the Kanye petition, Glastonbury Festival should ONLY employ white male rock bands with guitars and Kasabian are objectively better than PJ Harvey because of their gender.

EDIT: JUST IN CASE, THIS IS A JOKE

Edited by Alex DeLarge

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

In terms of mainstream popularity:

04 - Oasis, McCartney, Muse

11 - U2, Coldplay, Beyoncé

Fair point, I'll give you 2011 and at a push 2004 even though Muse were just breaking through. Though even taking those 2 years, strongest set of headliners in a while.

25 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

If it helps I could be one now? I was the one who started the Kanye petition, Glastonbury Festival should ONLY employ white male rock bands with guitars and Kasabian are objectively better than PJ Harvey because of their gender.

EDIT: JUST IN CASE, THIS IS A JOKE

Well recovered :) 

So, since this is a Radiohead playing at Glastonbury thread please allow me to digress for a moment with a question and apologies if it's been asked before as I could well have missed it.

I know the current thinking is that subbing Adele seems to be the way it set to pan out and a couple of posts on here ask for alternatives if Radiohead don't play in that position. Obviously somebody has to sub her but why the thinking that is has to be somebody not already on the poster? Ie. Radiohead. Is this solely because of Neil's source or some other reason?

Shaun.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Though that's less aggravating than the complaints that Emily has somehow ruined the festival by expanding the headliner booking policy beyond acts the would have beenat home on the Evening Session circa 1997.

Ah, the only 'proper music' campaigners. I always somehow feel its Noel Gallaghers fault.

4 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Ah, the only 'proper music' campaigners. I always somehow feel its Noel Gallaghers fault.

The fact that The so-called Modfather didn't shrivel up and die of embarrassment the second after he uttered his "I'm not having hip-hop at Glastonbury. It's wrong." spiel will be puzzling scientists for generations to come.

7 minutes ago, joelovesleeds! said:

Original poster: It's too hard to keep up with Radiohead at Glastonbury news in the other thread, what's the deal?

Effects: Have 6 pages of debate about sexism in music

"6 pages of debate about sexism in music" is the perfect thing to follow "5 Pablo Honey".

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Coldplay headlining Glasto is like Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Titch headlining Woodstock, if it makes you feel any better.

Coldplay headlining Glasto is like a turd headlining at a banquet.

I love Muse so much.  I saw them at NOS in Lisbon last year and they were unbelievable. It was an absolutely epic gig. It is one band that i just close off all my music snobbery for. Anthems screamed at the top of my lungs, earsplitting virtuoso guitar epics.  It is my happy place.

I'm sure some of you feel the same about Adele.  But it baffles me.

Edited by Abensie