Radiohead at Glastonbury 2016? A brief summary.

johnny-yen

3 minutes ago, The Orgazoid said:

They might be safe in terms of being tried and tested headlinerers, but that's because their music is more suited to headlining a festival main stage. Adele's brand of dirge-pop, piano balladry has no place on the main stage of a festival, regardless of wether she's the biggest pop star in the world or not. 

Yeah, why have a mixture of stuff?

3 minutes ago, The Orgazoid said:

You'll find me saying the same things next year if/when Ed Sheeran headlines. 

I believe he's already proved the doubters wrong on that score.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, jparx said:

If you think the males have been safe from flak then you've been selectively reading comments.

I've been saying for months that Muse are the biggest problem with the headliners. 

I also see almost universal praise on this board for the likes of Peej, Wolf Alice, Grimes and Chrvches. The problem is bland, safe bookings. ALL of the headliners fall into that category, with Adele being the most exciting of a bad bunch.

Well now your arse is covered, have a look at the conversation as a whole. Take a glance through this thread for example. Praising the few brilliant female artists that have risen to the top doesn't excuse things, that's the equivalent of I've got a black friend :rolleyes: You're the one with selective reading goggles on. 

Anyway I wasn't actually trying to single anyone, or individual posts out. But the tone is there and needs commenting on, even if it just makes people more mindful to how these debates can go.

And this forum is actually a lot better than most places for it... take to Facebook or Twitter and see how many "Adele a BIG (LOLOL) enough act to headline" jokes you can spot, or back in the day comments about Beyonce's stripper outfit. 

Edited by Festival Liam

25 minutes ago, Festival Liam said:

Well now your arse is covered, have a look at the conversation as a whole. Take a glance through this thread for example. The fact Beyonce is still being dragged up is a perfect example of why there is an undertone to this debate. Praising the few brilliant female artists that have risen to the top doesn't excuse things, that's the equivalent of I've got a black friend :rolleyes: You're the one with selective reading goggles on. 

Anyway I wasn't actually trying to single anyone, or individual posts out. But the tone is there and needs commenting on, even if it just makes people more mindful to how these debates can go.

And this forum is actually a lot better than most places for it... take to Facebook or Twitter and see how many "Adele a BIG (LOLOL) enough act to headline" jokes you can spot, or back in the day comments about Beyonce's stripper outfit. 

I've been trying for 20 minutes to come up with a full response but I can't find something I'm happy with :P 

BTW I wasn't covering my ass. People feel the need to cover their ass if they are guilty. I'm not a sexist and there were no 'undertones' in my comment on Ellie Goulding. Most of the music I listen to is female acts/female fronted bands and I detest white lad guitar music with a passion. I took your 'undertones' comment personally because I'm one of the least sexist people you will ever find and I detest people who hold such prejudices.

I just don't want to be afraid of voicing an opinion on a female act in the future because my comment might be construed to have 'undertones'. To me this was a debate about bland music and that's all.

A lot of the earlier comments seem based on the false premise that Glastonbury is offering a choice of either Adele or Radiohead, when in fact there's a good chance that it's gonna offer both, along with a tonne of stuff that's so wiggled out it'll make Radiohead look as bland and safe as Simply Red.

I think that's worth defending.

13 minutes ago, jparx said:

I've been trying for 20 minutes to come up with a full response but I can't find something I'm happy with :P 

BTW I wasn't covering my ass. People feel the need to cover their ass if they are guilty. I'm not a sexist and there were no 'undertones' in my comment on Ellie Goulding. Most of the music I listen to is female acts/female fronted bands and I detest white lad guitar music with a passion. I took your 'undertones' comment personally because I'm one of the least sexist people you will ever find and I detest people who hold such prejudices.

I just don't want to be afraid of voicing an opinion on a female act in the future because my comment might be construed to have 'undertones'. To me this was a debate about bland music and that's all.

No hard feelings, as I said I wasn't trying to single anyone out. It can be really frustrating and I wasn't trying to play the PC police. I just think the debate can be very female artist centric.

These days Coldplay are probably more of a pop act then Adele. And Ellie Goulding has earnt that spot in my opinion... even though she was pretty terrible live when I caught her at Glastonbury last. 

I can only speak for myself, but if it seems like people aren't complaining about Coldplay, maybe that's because we're all just so tired of doing so.

Sick of hearing them, sick of hearing about them, sick of looking at them. At this point it's much easier to just try and pretend they don't exist, which is what I will be doing this year.

On a slightly related note, had a few drinks with one of our group last night and we started seriously discussing whether or not Bjork could headline. Just putting it out there.

6 minutes ago, Festival Liam said:

No hard feelings, as I said I wasn't trying to single anyone out. It can be really frustrating and I wasn't trying to play the PC police. I just think the debate can be very female artist centric.

These days Coldplay are probably more of a pop act then Adele. And Ellie Goulding has earnt that spot in my opinion... even though she was pretty terrible live when I caught her at Glastonbury last. 

Haha glad that's settled. I hate getting in conflicts like that, I'm very non-confrontational usually!

Adele is clearly the most interesting headliner of the lot this year. It would be very hard to argue against that. Ellie Goulding is just a bit too 'T4 on the Beach' for me :P 

Just now, Scruffylovemonster said:

"Could" as in would it be ace, could she command the stage, has she enough material?  Yes.

Will she? No.

Headlined Other stage in 2007 and definitely not got more popular since then. Too many people would only know It's oh so quiet and 1 or 2 more

Yeah, and she's not exactly known for doing greatest hits sets, she headlined Wilderness and Citadel last year and the only "hits" she played were Army Of Me and Hyperballad.

Still, 20m+ album sales, 22 UK Top 40 singles, good name recognition (not always for the best reasons, but when has that ever hurt anyone) and a bonkers stage show that people wouldn't forget in a hurry. I've certainly heard crazier suggestions

They may not be everyone's (/this forum) cup of tea but in terms of mainstream artists (which is what the pyramid caters to), Muse, Adele and Coldplay are an astonishingly strong set of headliners. I would even argue they are the strongest triplet of mainstream headliners glastonbury has ever pulled off unless anyone can come up with a better hattrick. There is no other festival in the world who could book those 3, particularly for less than their standard fee (presumably).

The 'turnover' of Glastonbury attendees means that probably 75%* of people have not seen either of those acts at Glastonbury so whilst us regulars might sigh, the general public will lap it up. Pyramid field will be heaving all 3 nights.

* figure plucked from thin air. 

Edited by Keithy

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

In terms of mainstream popularity:

04 - Oasis, McCartney, Muse

11 - U2, Coldplay, Beyoncé

Not sure about 04, Muse were the weak link that year - it was a step up for them to get that slot.

2011 for sure, would also add 2009 in terms of records sales - 2 all time top sellers + Blur, definitely appealing to a different audience though.

1 minute ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

2007? Arctics and Killers were both huge at that time. Plus the Who are pretty mainstream these days.

Nah, Arctics were a huge new band but at the time the press, here and the official forums were all doubting their headline status - same for the killers pretty much. The festival got a ripping for weak headliers that year

Just think if Radiohead really do play this year, all three main housebands will have played this year. The next few years will be free of them for the repeat booking complaints... although maybe Arctics, Kasabian and Beyonce (if anyone will remember her first performence, people might be excited for her first visit to the farm) willl be cycled back around to. Should get some exciting new bookings hopefully. 

1 minute ago, Festival Liam said:

Just think if Radiohead really do play this year, all three main housebands will have played this year. The next few years will be free of them for the repeat booking complaints... although maybe Arctics, Kasabian and Beyonce (if anyone will remember her first performence, people might be excited for her first visit to the farm) willl be cycled back around to. Should get some exciting new bookings hopefully. 

Coldplay will be back next time they have am album to plug.

35 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

"Could" as in would it be ace, could she command the stage, has she enough material?  Yes.

Will she? No.

Headlined Other stage in 2007 and definitely not got more popular since then. Too many people would only know It's oh so quiet and 1 or 2 more

31 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets said:

Yeah, and she's not exactly known for doing greatest hits sets, she headlined Wilderness and Citadel last year and the only "hits" she played were Army Of Me and Hyperballad.

Still, 20m+ album sales, 22 UK Top 40 singles, good name recognition (not always for the best reasons, but when has that ever hurt anyone) and a bonkers stage show that people wouldn't forget in a hurry. I've certainly heard crazier suggestions

40 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets said:

I can only speak for myself, but if it seems like people aren't complaining about Coldplay, maybe that's because we're all just so tired of doing so.

Sick of hearing them, sick of hearing about them, sick of looking at them. At this point it's much easier to just try and pretend they don't exist, which is what I will be doing this year.

On a slightly related note, had a few drinks with one of our group last night and we started seriously discussing whether or not Bjork could headline. Just putting it out there.

I love Bjork for lots and lots of reasons. One of them being leaving her biggest hit off her Greatest Hits album.

33 minutes ago, Keithy said:

They may not be everyone's (/this forum) cup of tea but in terms of mainstream artists (which is what the pyramid caters to), Muse, Adele and Coldplay are an astonishingly strong set of headliners. I would even argue they are the strongest triplet of mainstream headliners glastonbury has ever pulled off unless anyone can come up with a better hattrick. There is no other festival in the world who could book those 3, particularly for less than their standard fee (presumably).

The 'turnover' of Glastonbury attendees means that probably 75%* of people have not seen either of those acts at Glastonbury so whilst us regulars might sigh, the general public will lap it up. Pyramid field will be heaving all 3 nights.

* figure plucked from thin air. 

Correct in that its a huge, huge set of headliners. Also 'festival exclusives' at a festival that doesn't pay for exclusives. I'm not going to see any of them but that doesn't mean it isnt obvious.

2011 was stronger though. I'm not sure they'll ever top that.