Kids Info/Leaving the site

ytfc_nick

Hi all,

I've been to Glasto before but this year my wife and I are planning to take our two kids (8 months and 4). 

I'm a teacher and unfortunately having an inflexible headteacher means I won't be able to get to the festival properly until Friday evening.

However we only live in Taunton and so we were planning to come and set up the tent on either Wendesday or Thursday evening (to get a decent spot in the family camping) and then leaving and returning on the Friday.

So my questions are these...!

Firsty does my 4 year old have to physically be there when we first enter the site on weds? Or can we still get her in on the Friday with our wristbands/pass out things?

Secondly, having never left mid-festival, is it fairly easy to get the car out?

Finally, I've noticed there's a couple of family camping fields, does anyone recommend a specific one? And which gate would be best to arrive at for these?

Any further tips/advice would be massively appreciated. Much more daunting planning the trip with little ones!

Thanks in advance! :)

Edited by ytfc_nick

If your thinking of arriving any time after dawn on Wednesday aim for wicket ground (meaning you need to be parked on the west side) the other family  camping (nest to the kids field) fills up incredibly quickly but there's usually plenty of space in wicket

As above... the main family camping field is always full by 11am on the Wednesday morning. Its a struggle to get a space even when getting up at the crack of dawn! I haven't camped in wicket before, but hear that there is a lot more space throughout the whole festival so probably better to aim for there on Wednesday / Thursday evening.

You won't need to have your children with you, lots of peoples children arrive later after the tents are set up. I have done that a couple of times when my daughter was younger. She is 10 now though so gets to help carry stuff from the car!! :)

Coming from Taunton you'll approach from West on A361 from Glastonbury so will find yourself directed into West carparks which are nearest to Wicket Ground family camping, entering via Gate A.  

Arriving either Weds or Thurs evening should see you missing most of the traffic too, but bear in mind you may have a fair walk from the carpark (although there is no clear evidence that the earlier you arrive the nearer to the entrance Gate you are.....).  That shouldn't be a problem when you come to pitch your tent but might be a trek when you have more to carry.  The flip side is that leaving after you have pitched should be a breeze as there will be very little traffic heading West from Pilton.

Hope it all works for you and you have an epic festival :D

45 minutes ago, seasider1975 said:

We camped in wicket last year got there about 4 in the afternoon on the Thursday walked straight in and there was loads of room to put the tent up even on Friday afternoon there was plenty of space

Wicket will be slightly smaller this year owing to changes around that part of the site, but having camped there twice (2010 & 2015) there's usually loads of space & most people have big tents being families. It's also one of the nicest fields on site, the campsite crew are lovely and keep the toilets clean and well stocked with paper, fellow campers are incredibly clean as well, the field is spotless on the Monday morning. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just weighing up whether to come and pitch up on Weds or Thurs evening (we can't actually stay till Friday) and was just wondering if anyone's noticed whether it's generally any less busy on a particular evening? (particularly traffic as we'll have our youngest with us and a stationary car+8 month old are not a nice mix!!) 

I've never been at all concerned or fazed about Glasto before, just rocked up as and when but with kids it turns into a logistical anxious nightmare!