New area - The Wood

VolumetricFox

15 minutes ago, p.pete said:

And there's a new bar at the very top of the Park, right at the fence

Oh yes, that's the real ale bar isn't it? I completely forgot about that, I'll be checking it out on Wednesday afternoon on my traditional pilgrimage up to the top.:)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, p.pete said:

Leave Kings Meadow (stone circle) in direction of Park, immediately in next field there's a path / steps up to the exit for the expensive camping bit (look leftwards, up the hill), climb the hill up towards there and it's on your right hidden in the trees

I used to love the old Strummerville and it was one of my favourite places to visit. I was a bit put out that they had moved it but I guess it had to be done as it was getting too busy. It nice that it's still hidden away though. I'm hoping it has a similar feel.

Shaun.

The Spike is the best addition to Glastonbury in recent years so I reckon this new area will probably be great too. The simple effect of the glitter ball shining through the leaves of the trees at the Spike at night is lovely. It's nice and chilled during the day and slightly more upbeat fun at night. 

10 minutes ago, MilkyJoe said:

Oh yes, that's the real ale bar isn't it? I completely forgot about that, I'll be checking it out on Wednesday afternoon on my traditional pilgrimage up to the top.:)

This is Tricketts, a very nice addition to the Park.  For anyone wanting shade though, it has a very small porch which is mainly for those queuing for drinks, so isn't a venue as such.

Thanks p.pete for the Strummerville directions.  I'll also be checking out this new area.

8 minutes ago, Glastoboy said:

The Spike is the best addition to Glastonbury in recent years so I reckon this new area will probably be great too. The simple effect of the glitter ball shining through the leaves of the trees at the Spike at night is lovely. It's nice and chilled during the day and slightly more upbeat fun at night. 

Where is The Spike?  is the bar just off the Railway on the way to SE corner? 

34 minutes ago, p.pete said:

Leave Kings Meadow (stone circle) in direction of Park, immediately in next field there's a path / steps up to the exit for the expensive camping bit (look leftwards, up the hill), climb the hill up towards there and it's on your right hidden in the trees

awesome thanks :) i'll try and remember this at some point over the weekend

8 minutes ago, watsonjm said:

Slightly different subject but has anyone got any idea where the secret (jazz?) bar will be? I gather it was around the dragon last year but i never made it up there when it was open.

Jazz? ugh *shudders*

There is the (not so) Secret Piano Bar up by the Dragon, is that what you could be looking for? Head up to the dragon and through that road/track in the hedge and the unprepossessing bomb shelter facing you at the top of that track is it.  Come back after midnight (probably from Thursday onwards) and you'll see the queue. I didn't see the bar in there, but there are toilets there so once in you can stop for hours.

1 hour ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

If it's anything close to 2010 then you won't get near it!  I remember looking down from the Ribbon Tower and every spot of shade in the Park was full of bodies.  Around the Treehouse Cafe particularly was swarmed!

I remember managing to squeeze in a slither of shade at the fence in next to the bar at JP, it was such relief lol

3 minutes ago, carlosj said:

Jazz? ugh *shudders*

There is the (not so) Secret Piano Bar up by the Dragon, is that what you could be looking for? Head up to the dragon and through that road/track in the hedge and the unprepossessing bomb shelter facing you at the top of that track is it.  Come back after midnight (probably from Thursday onwards) and you'll see the queue. I didn't see the bar in there, but there are toilets there so once in you can stop for hours.

Piano bar!  that is indeed the one i mean.  I went up there on the Wednesday which is probably why i didn't see it,. 

Are there many/any other secret bars around the site do we know?  There were rubblings of one out the back of a porta loo last year.

2 minutes ago, watsonjm said:

Piano bar!  that is indeed the one i mean.  I went up there on the Wednesday which is probably why i didn't see it,. 

Are there many/any other secret bars around the site do we know?  There were rubblings of one out the back of a porta loo last year.

Ha, so did I. In 2011, we wandered all over, but I didn't even see the dragon, and thought 'That looks odd' at the structures.  I didn't realise what it was until the year after. We got to the queue just before 12 one night, but I think it really gets going after 2. I was 'tired and emotional' so left about 1.30. It was good fun though.

There will be other secret bars around, but without meaning to sound sarky, they are, on the whole, secret, so I never find them. Bimble, and you will find lots.  The structures in the SE corner lend themselves to secret areas, but I'm not so fussed about rave music so don't really head into that area later on.

1 hour ago, Yokel Again said:

Sounds good. Is it in those woods that used to not be fenced off? I'm sure in 2000 I remember walking through some woods that side of the site - people were camped in there!

I'm so glad you said this! I vividly remember walking through a really chilled wooded area with people camping in it in 2000. Have tried to work out where it was many times since but never quite been able to.

6 minutes ago, Dr Glasto said:

I'm so glad you said this! I vividly remember walking through a really chilled wooded area with people camping in it in 2000. Have tried to work out where it was many times since but never quite been able to.

We used it as a cut through up to the old cinema field from the Pyramid. There were loads of small tents amongst the trees, and loads of people getting fire wood. I'm certain the next year (well, 2002) it was cut off with just a couple of barriers then in more recent years properly boarded up. This is where I'm expecting this new area to be, but I might be wrong!

9 minutes ago, Yokel Again said:

We used it as a cut through up to the old cinema field from the Pyramid. There were loads of small tents amongst the trees, and loads of people getting fire wood. I'm certain the next year (well, 2002) it was cut off with just a couple of barriers then in more recent years properly boarded up. This is where I'm expecting this new area to be, but I might be wrong!

The old cinema field!  I had forgotten about that.  Used love chilling there

I've always said it was a waste of an area so I'm glad it's getting used.  Even fenced off it was kind of magical/creepy walking through the pathway at night.  On the down side, the 'secret' longdrops that are never on the map and you don't see until you walk past them are unlikely to stay secret now with all these changes.  Hey ho.

1 hour ago, Glastoboy said:

Heard a lot about The Spike but must have wandered by it without noticing.  I know it's near Glade area but whereabouts exactly?  If you were stood at the intersection of the railway line and the track past the Spaceport to Leftfield, where is it?

1 hour ago, MadScientist said:

I feel slightly concerned about the prospect of drunk/high/trippy people around a pond. Other than that it looks really pretty 

Don’t worry, I expect we’ll they’ll still gravitate towards the Stone Circle.

Edited by big__phil

27 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Heard a lot about The Spike but must have wandered by it without noticing.  I know it's near Glade area but whereabouts exactly?  If you were stood at the intersection of the railway line and the track past the Spaceport to Leftfield, where is it?

Straight ahead, with Spaceport on your left and Glade on your right.