New area - The Wood

VolumetricFox

https://www.facebook.com/GladeAreaGlastonbury/

Introducing The Wood...

New to the festival and part of the revamped John Peel area 'The Wood' is a miraculously undiscovered patch of woodland complete with a natural willow-lined pond. This is an area of the farm that has never been opened up to the public before.

The Wood is the creation of the Avalon and Glade crew who also created The Spike in a small patch of hidden woodland in the centre of the site near the Glade. Together with a new team of local crew and the blessing of Michael and Emily they been working all year to make this a feature for the North West of the festival creating low impact pathways between the trees and linking natural clearings in parts of the woodland with lighting effects, installations and other Glastonbury moments to discover.

Right next to John Peel in the old Hospitality Area this is a real haven, a far cry from the South East Corner but feels like coming home to us. A view of the Tor, a camp café in the trees, the Pyramid a stones throw away, a bar and loving attraction to this most beautiful bit of Pilton Park; this will be the magical place to be from dawn till dusk and beyond.

13248468_486593948177977_1946100983274294477_o.jpg

13305029_486593874844651_3292502849799116580_o.jpg

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wondering if the pond is a good idea though, the one in the greenfields is open and has lots of people.  Hopefully one a bit hidden away won't end up full of piss.

But don't want to be negative about this!  Its amazing to have somewhere new to explore and somewhere to sit in the shade as its going to be so sunny will be great.

Edited by nodolphie

Somewhere to relax a chill out in nature, sounds lovely.  Next to the new JP tent though?  Be a bit noisy one would expect?  Not really conducive to relaxation!

8 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

Yep - looks great, if we can keep it clean, that's very much the trouble now isnt it.

The pics look stunning but I agree with you about keeping it clean.

When we first went to Glasto in 2010, we fell particularly in love with the Acoustic Tent - not just because of the music, but also because the stewards came round after every single act with black bin-liners encouraging everyone to pick up their empty cups etc.

As a result, we knew it would be rather wonderful and pleasant to go up there to see someone. I know Glasto does its best, but the litter and lack of consideration by various people who don't care about mess, horrifies me!

When we last went in 2013, the Acoustic tent didn't do the encouragement thing anymore . Which disappointed me because it was a mess.

this is fantastic, last year I really struggled to find somewhere to hide from the sun when it was getting a bit too much for me

this will be absolutely perfect for a little escape from the inevitable scorcher we're going to get

4 minutes ago, JanieM28 said:

The pics look stunning but I agree with you about keeping it clean.

When we first went to Glasto in 2010, we fell particularly in love with the Acoustic Tent - not just because of the music, but also because the stewards came round after every single act with black bin-liners encouraging everyone to pick up their empty cups etc.

As a result, we knew it would be rather wonderful and pleasant to go up there to see someone. I know Glasto does its best, but the litter and lack of consideration by various people who don't care about mess, horrifies me!

When we last went in 2013, the Acoustic tent didn't do the encouragement thing anymore . Which disappointed me because it was a mess.

Can't recall ever spotting this at any stage.  Stewarding generally done by Oxfam, so I can't see it being part of their remit - though might be a good shout for stewarding at some of the stages that have slightly quieter periods.

Interesting to see what this new place ends up looking like.  The Spike has a bandstand and music on during the night - the place is beautiful but definitely not quiet or away from it all.  Can imagine somewhere like this being lovely early hours, maybe with some chilled music.  I'll have to widen the loop of my late night rambles to have a look.

If it's anything close to 2010 then you won't get near it!  I remember looking down from the Ribbon Tower and every spot of shade in the Park was full of bodies.  Around the Treehouse Cafe particularly was swarmed!

3 minutes ago, sloseph said:

this is fantastic, last year I really struggled to find somewhere to hide from the sun when it was getting a bit too much for me

this will be absolutely perfect for a little escape from the inevitable scorcher we're going to get

I would recommend Strummerville (in its new location) and also the Glade (especially on the Wednesday and Thursday) as two other places to cool down- both are shaded and usually have a cool breeze. Strummerville has more space to lie down/sit down in, but you first have too hike up the hill to get to it.

The area around Lulu's cafe has usually been my nearest longdrops and lockup to camp , and a wander through the existing path in the woods has been nice to get out of the sun at times. So that bit of the site feels very much like a quiet home for me.

Thus looks potentially really nice, and I hope it stills feel homely as more folk come and discover this.

1 minute ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

If it's anything close to 2010 then you won't get near it!  I remember looking down from the Ribbon Tower and every spot of shade in the Park was full of bodies.  Around the Treehouse Cafe particularly was swarmed!

I remember hiding sat under flags' shadows, having to move every few minutes due to the flag or sun shifting :)

13 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I would recommend Strummerville (in its new location) and also the Glade (especially on the Wednesday and Thursday) as two other places to cool down- both are shaded and usually have a cool breeze. Strummerville has more space to lie down/sit down in, but you first have too hike up the hill to get to it.

I really like the idea of Strummerville but I failed to find it last year, granted I was already pretty battered by the time I was looking for it but no matter how close I though I was it evaded me

i'm not too upset I had a great time looking for it and even found an ice cream van selling ice lollies which were amazing while I was off my swede

3 minutes ago, MilkyJoe said:

Fantastic! After missing the last 2 years I'm really looking forward to exploring some new areas. This along with Spike and the new Strummerville will be high on my list.

Shaun.

And there's a new bar at the very top of the Park, right at the fence

4 minutes ago, sloseph said:

I really like the idea of Strummerville but I failed to find it last year, granted I was already pretty battered by the time I was looking for it but no matter how close I though I was it evaded me

i'm not too upset I had a great time looking for it and even found an ice cream van selling ice lollies which were amazing while I was off my swede

Leave Kings Meadow (stone circle) in direction of Park, immediately in next field there's a path / steps up to the exit for the expensive camping bit (look leftwards, up the hill), climb the hill up towards there and it's on your right hidden in the trees

Edited by p.pete