New area - The Wood

VolumetricFox

24 minutes ago, MissStarlight said:

I too would like to know exactly where The Spike is, as I missed it in 2014.

Loving the look of this new area, love a bit of dancing amongst the trees.

So if you're on the railway track, looking down the hill with the Glade on your left, it's directly on the right. It's sort of above where the spaceport is. It's a tiny little thing, just looks like a gazebo really.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, big__phil said:

So if you're on the railway track, looking down the hill with the Glade on your left, it's directly on the right. It's sort of above where the spaceport is. It's a tiny little thing, just looks like a gazebo really.

Thanks - I will try to remember this come end of June. 

3 hours ago, big__phil said:

Looks good! Hopefully similar to the wooded bit at Shambala (if anyone has been).

what full of feral children creating their own heirachical structure and trying to scare the living bejeezus out of adults at night?

Edited by 5co77ie

35 minutes ago, big__phil said:

Think I've gotcha.  Was there an entrance to it from the railway line then, inbetween the bushes?  If so, I think I did see it but didn't recognise it for what it was.

1 minute ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Think I've gotcha.  Was there an entrance to it from the railway line then, inbetween the bushes?  If so, I think I did see it but didn't recognise it for what it was.

Yeah, railway drops straight down to the bandstand pictured, then it hooks left, there's a little bar in there somewhere and lots of wood and lights.  It is very nice.

1 minute ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

You can certainly see if from the track, but can't remember if that's how you get there. Think there's a wooden walkway. Anyone remember?

1 minute ago, big__phil said:

You can certainly see if from the track, but can't remember if that's how you get there. Think there's a wooden walkway. Anyone remember?

Wooden walkway is if you come from spaceport side - and that curves around the back of a tree?  and under another viewing platform (accessible from railway)

11 minutes ago, p.pete said:

Wooden walkway is if you come from spaceport side - and that curves around the back of a tree?  and under another viewing platform (accessible from railway)

access drop down from railway passed greenfields 'gap' heading for park, on the other side it's accessible above spaceport in trees below railway near the big willow sculptures

3 minutes ago, 5co77ie said:

access drop down from railway passed greenfields 'gap' heading for park, on the other side it's accessible above spaceport in trees below railway near the big willow sculptures

Ah, is that where that little tunnel is? I get far too excited about that whenever I come across it.

Good way to find the Spike is by looking out for a big mirrorball in the trees on the left as you're walking up the hill toward the railway track with the Glade on your right.

That's how we stumbled on to it anyway, went to check out the mirrorball and then noticed a few hundred people in what I had previously assumed to be a big bush.

An intriguing development - this seems to be the area that's usually fenced off as the "Nature Reserve"

I've been camping very near to this (Top Webbs Ash) since 2004 and used the path through the middle a fair amount, so hopefully it will still be passable, especially as the hospitality camping is moving.

I wonder what they've done with the "nature" they were "reserving"? Always had it in my mind that it might contain a badger set.

6 hours ago, watsonjm said:

Piano bar!  that is indeed the one i mean.  I went up there on the Wednesday which is probably why i didn't see it,. 

Are there many/any other secret bars around the site do we know?  There were rubblings of one out the back of a porta loo last year.

There used to be about a hundred secret bars at Glastonbury, but most went out of business because noone could find them

7 hours ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Heard a lot about The Spike but must have wandered by it without noticing.  I know it's near Glade area but whereabouts exactly?  If you were stood at the intersection of the railway line and the track past the Spaceport to Leftfield, where is it?

Just look for the disco ball lights out the trees at night you won't miss it :) 

9 hours ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

I've always said it was a waste of an area so I'm glad it's getting used.  Even fenced off it was kind of magical/creepy walking through the pathway at night.  On the down side, the 'secret' longdrops that are never on the map and you don't see until you walk past them are unlikely to stay secret now with all these changes.  Hey ho.

Are these secret? I walked past them every morning on my way to Lulu's for the coffee run :)