Glasto Webcam - Looking Good

4519dennis

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any ideas about the large holes that are being dug?  At least i assume they're large given the piles of dirt. 

I can see two areas.  One down the road past Beats Hotel the other on the market road that runs between the back of the Pyramid and Silver haze.

Edited by watsonjm

On 19 August 2016 at 8:34 AM, kalifire said:

Why?

Can't speak for @DareToDibble but I find it upsetting, as someone who, like God knows how many other people who attend and organise the festival, has an interest in the environment. This "love the farm, leave no trace" policy is always going to be a big ask - I loved the farm and left no trace but I'm a drop in the ocean. I just find it upsetting that there are so many people who don't give a shit about leaving their crap everywhere for someone else to deal with - whether they're as reckless for the other 51 weeks of the year, I don't know. I find it upsetting that in spite of warnings about the future of the festival, people still leave so much rubbish everywhere and polute rivers. As an institution, and for what it does for charity and tries to do for the environment, I think it deserves more respect than that.

1 hour ago, RichardWaller said:

Can't speak for @DareToDibble but I find it upsetting, as someone who, like God knows how many other people who attend and organise the festival, has an interest in the environment. This "love the farm, leave no trace" policy is always going to be a big ask - I loved the farm and left no trace but I'm a drop in the ocean. I just find it upsetting that there are so many people who don't give a shit about leaving their crap everywhere for someone else to deal with - whether they're as reckless for the other 51 weeks of the year, I don't know. I find it upsetting that in spite of warnings about the future of the festival, people still leave so much rubbish everywhere and polute rivers. As an institution, and for what it does for charity and tries to do for the environment, I think it deserves more respect than that.

Agree totally this was our 1st year but we left nothing behind but I would do that everywhere that's just normal. If it's broke or rubbish take it home or put it in a bin it ain't difficult 

On 8/21/2016 at 10:27 AM, RichardWaller said:

This. I saw so many tents left this year. Granted I've only been for the last 3 years but I've felt like there has been an increase each year in the amount of stuff that has been left. I'm sure I read before that 1 in 4 tents are left, but it certainly felt like a lot more than that this year. 

On 21/08/2016 at 0:13 PM, crocodiles said:

Agree totally this was our 1st year but we left nothing behind but I would do that everywhere that's just normal. If it's broke or rubbish take it home or put it in a bin it ain't difficult 

On 24/08/2016 at 9:53 AM, DareToDibble said:

This. I saw so many tents left this year. Granted I've only been for the last 3 years but I've felt like there has been an increase each year in the amount of stuff that has been left. I'm sure I read before that 1 in 4 tents are left, but it certainly felt like a lot more than that this year. 

I'm ashamed to admit that I've left stuff behind when I was younger at other festivals but I won't again. 

I've been to 14 weekend camping festivals over the years and the odd day at them here and there so I'm quite used to the mess. Maybe it's cos it's fresher in my mind that it seemed worse this year more than others and other festivals and I suppose there are contributing factors too.. I mean, for a start it's easier to put away a clean, dry tent than a wet muddy one but saying that it was still a big problem in scorcher 2010 too, I ended up taking home a better tent than the one I took with me. Plus Glastonbury has grown a fair bit since I started going too.. The most disappointing part for me, although not shocking at all was that even though we were camped about as close to Gate A as you can be, it was still too far for people to carry their shit.

I don't know a way around it, they can plead for people to love the farm and leave no trace but how are you going to make people take that seriously? If they can't be arsed, they can't be arsed. I suppose they could threaten banning people when they can be identified if they've been daft enough to leave their ticket in their abandoned tent, but who wants to see Glastonbury get that authoritarian? 

Just back from V festival (Weston) and the campsites there looked as bad as glasto, Obs a small festival so the total will be less.  Managed to bag me two 4 man tents and a 5 man tent.  Two of them were brand new (minus the weekend at V) with the labels still on the bags, one was well used but with a little love will last me a good few years yet.  Total value if new would be around £600.  

Edited by watsonjm

• 5 years later...