Thursday traffic

dannygrif

Does anyone have any experience of travelling by road to the festival on the Thursday? Specifically by coach would be helpful. 

Just trying to weigh up different factors to get a rough idea of what time we can expect to arrive. Leaving at 9am from Sheffield if anyone has any experience leaving somewhere relatively close (Manchester, Leeds etc), would be happy to hear how the traffic's been for you in previous years. Thanks!

we usually travel from just north of Bristol on Thursday morning setting off around 9.30 -10 and get on site around 12 (we have a caravan on the back so we have to go slowly so perhaps similar to a coach).  Never had any problems at all with traffic near to Glastonbury or around the site on the Thursday morning, not had to queue once, I think as most people now come on the Tuesday nights early Wednesday the majority of people are already on site by the time you are travelling so you should be fine :rolleyes:

21 hours ago, dannygrif said:

Does anyone have any experience of travelling by road to the festival on the Thursday? Specifically by coach would be helpful. 

Just trying to weigh up different factors to get a rough idea of what time we can expect to arrive. Leaving at 9am from Sheffield if anyone has any experience leaving somewhere relatively close (Manchester, Leeds etc), would be happy to hear how the traffic's been for you in previous years. Thanks!

16 hours ago, noplacelikehome said:

we usually travel from just north of Bristol on Thursday morning setting off around 9.30 -10 and get on site around 12 (we have a caravan on the back so we have to go slowly so perhaps similar to a coach).  Never had any problems at all with traffic near to Glastonbury or around the site on the Thursday morning, not had to queue once, I think as most people now come on the Tuesday nights early Wednesday the majority of people are already on site by the time you are travelling so you should be fine :rolleyes:

I arrived on the thursday afternoon last year and traffic wasn't terrible but it was just moving slowly. 

16 hours ago, noplacelikehome said:

2 minutes ago, cb4747 said:

I arrived on the thursday afternoon last year and traffic wasn't terrible but it was just moving slowly. 

Thank you both :) 

Here's to hoping it's pretty quiet Thursday afternoonish then - I guess most people do get there on the Weds so fingers crossed. I'll probably be as giddy as a 10-year-old after a pack of blue Smarties, so the thought of waiting in heavy traffic is too much to bear. 

Just now, dannygrif said:

Thank you both :) 

Here's to hoping it's pretty quiet Thursday afternoonish then - I guess most people do get there on the Weds so fingers crossed. I'll probably be as giddy as a 10-year-old after a pack of blue Smarties, so the thought of waiting in heavy traffic is too much to bear. 

tell me about it! We usually get stuck in traffic past stonehenge and by that point after 3 hours of driving I am going loopy with excitement! Have a safe journey and fab festival! 

6 minutes ago, cb4747 said:

tell me about it! We usually get stuck in traffic past stonehenge and by that point after 3 hours of driving I am going loopy with excitement! Have a safe journey and fab festival! 

I'm glad I'm not the only one! Well, saying that, we're definitely not the only ones. I bet the traffic is just a gigantic convoy of hyperactive adults. You too - only 27 days to go! 

10 hours ago, cb4747 said:

Don't people look at real maps these days? If you're on the A303 coming from the East (Andover etc.), you will know that you reach a big roundabout at Amesbury.

Instead of going straight over it into the dreadful traffic towards Stonehenge, take the third exit North to Durrington. When you get to the next main roundabout, take the first exit towards the Larkhill Garrison along the Packway road.

After passing through the main route through Larkill, look for the signs for the A 360 and Stonehenge and turn left. Keep going past the Stonehenge coach park you will eventually find yourself at the roundabout you usually come to after after most of the traffic jam. 

All you're doing is going up and over, and past Stonehenge when you look at the map. Takes less than ten minutes rather than the 30-45 mins lots of people put up with.

Hope this helps. :-)