Jogging at the festival

majormajormajor

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Ruth1980 said:

My dad and my sister did this last year and I'll be joining them this year as apparently it was good fun! The route's below :)  

AW run.jpg

Out of interest, how long is this route?  

As others have said, I expect to be doing quite enough walking and dancing over the course of the festival to neither need nor want to participate in any other form of exercise and would rather walk the route, taking things in on the way then just run past!

I always intend to go for a run but your legs get tired enough though the 5 days of walking.

I'd tend to be a little faster than these guys over 5k I think.  I had contemplated looking at putting on an official parkrun on site (9am sat morning) but the logistics of getting it organised for a one off event scared me

5 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

Out of interest, how long is this route?  

As others have said, I expect to be doing quite enough walking and dancing over the course of the festival to neither need nor want to participate in any other form of exercise and would rather walk the route, taking things in on the way then just run past!

It's a 5k route apparently. I'll also be walking it in a more leisurely manner during the course of the festival but this is just a bit different

I'd be interested.  It's only about 3.5 miles, undulating - just mapped it.  I look at Glastonbury as a bit of an escape, a holiday from everyday life.  But I run on every holiday I go on, it's one of the things I like doing, and adds a different element.  That distance shouldn't tire anyone out to the point they won't be able to walk round the site / dance all night.  And for those interested you'll start the day around 350 calories in credit :lol:

Any you never know, in next years "weirdest thing you have ever seen at Glastonbury" thread someone might tell a tale of returning to their tent at 9am and they could have sworn they saw a group of runners go by :D.  xx

3 minutes ago, al_coholic said:

I just mapped it as well. I got it at 5.6km depending on how you get out of Bellas Field and into Circus Field and up to Acoustic. Not sure you can go round the back of the Cabaret tent as I thought that was a restricted area. 

Apparently they were able to run through restricted areas last year, they took advantage of bemused security staff and ran straight past!

I'd have a go if i didn't sweat a litre every time I ran. I don't particularly fancy needing a shower all weekend, but then again I don't like showering over the weekend either as it feels like cheating. Plus, who doesn't love the one when you get home and you literally see the mud clearing down the plug. 

I was planning on doing it a few years back. took my running gear and everything. alas I lost track of time ended up not going to bed. I was bimbling around as they all ran past me and I realised i should be doing that. at that time though I was struggling to walk straight.

13 minutes ago, StePotts said:

Why the f would you want to go running through massive crowds of people and/or get up at such an hour to run? You're doing it wrong.

For the same reason that some people want to go and sit in a field at Glastobury and watch football!  I don't get that at all, but accept that everyone has different interests and that they may want to bring those interests with them to the farm. Each to their own and all that. x

ps and for the record I don't do Facebook :D

18 minutes ago, StePotts said:

Why the f would you want to go running through massive crowds of people and/or get up at such an hour to run? You're doing it wrong.

This kind of thing makes me chuckle.  As if there is a 'right' way to do Glastonbury - there are people who will never really leave the main stages, people who will spend pretty much the whole weekend in the Green Fields, people who will indulge so hard they won't know where they are.  I'll be on site for a week, and the idea of getting a bit of a run in, before I get too stuck in, appeals to me - running is something that massively contributes to my mental wellbeing, and I'll be spending most of the rest of the time trying my best to break my brain...

1 hour ago, majormajormajor said:

Anyone mad enough to do this? I'd be up for it if it was at 11am or something... on the Wednesday.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/video/2015/jun/26/it-s-7am-at-glastonbury-fancy-a-jog-video?CMP=embed_video

If you're that keen I'll give you my car keys and you can knock yourself out getting a couple of cases of Tribute for me....as fast as you like. It'll probably be about 5k there and back 

Cheers