Jogging at the festival

majormajormajor

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, robin said:

Currently having to have my running completed well before 7am and the kid wakes up. 

Unlikely to be having a particularly heavily cider fuelled Glastonbury these days, so if the sleep has been very interrupted by screaming baby a run might be just the thing to chill me out again. I will need to see about making the shower in the campervan work first though.

Hats off, I don't know how you do it!

Decided to set myself a get fit challenge this year whereby I do a press up answer sit up for each day of the year (ie Jan 1st = 1, Feb 28th = 59 etc). It was partly as another way to get fit for Glastonbury but also just to see if I could. By June 22nd the daily total will have reached 173. Whilst I anticipate being imbibed for most of my time there I'm going to endeavour to keep it going. They'll be no running though need to save the legs for the bumbling, wandering and the occasional boogie.

Weirdly tempted by this. As long as a) the mud on Thursday morning is more like it was on Thursday 2014 than 2016 and b ) my sorry hungover state on Thursday morning is more like it was on Thursday 2014 than 2016

Although, running shoes and sports bra sound like they'd take up precious cider space. 

1 hour ago, Mardy said:

I keep misreading this thread title as 'juggling at the festival'. Already too many of those c**ts.

What's worse, jugglers or joggers?

You have to hate jugglers a bit. Surely most of the fun of seeing professional, performing jugglers is willing them to, and occasionally seeing them, fail. Especially when they've tried to spice it up by juggling flaming knives while riding a unicycle on top of a stepladder, or whatever.

I'd do this once just for the absurdity of it. I doubt I'd be sober but I'm no stranger to hungover exercise lately. However apart from probably being medically inadvisable I'm reasonably sure I simply won't be able to be up and ready at that time on Thurs.

All,

Check out @Superscally on Facebook at 'Run Robla Run. 

He's running across American following Forrest Gump's route and has covered over 5000 miles so far, covering more than a marathon per day. 

And having to push a pram with his gear and tent in it. 

Check him out, say hi, encourage him and donate. 

Woffy. 

24 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

My mum used to jog slower than she walked- is this a common thing with joggers? Is it essentially just pretend running?

When I was in high school and we had to run the 800m I perfected a jog that was essentially a fancy walk. Didn't get bollocked for walking; didn't have to try. It's probably along the same lines. 

1 hour ago, Mr.Tease said:

My mum used to jog slower than she walked- is this a common thing with joggers? Is it essentially just pretend running?

Walking you always have one foot on the floor, jogging and running you don't. Speed isn't really a factor, it's still more tiring than walking even if slower.

On 25/05/2016 at 0:29 PM, majormajormajor said:

Anyone mad enough to do this? I'd be up for it if it was at 11am or something... on the Wednesday.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/video/2015/jun/26/it-s-7am-at-glastonbury-fancy-a-jog-video?CMP=embed_video

Madness imo I struggle to walk around let alone run lol

14 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Walking you always have one foot on the floor, jogging and running you don't. Speed isn't really a factor, it's still more tiring than walking even if slower.

So it's a form of slow moving hovering that burns calories? 

• 2 months later...

So, as some of you may know, I've been doing a little jog around America. I re-routed from Chicago to come to a little place called Pilton after 7,246 miles and will be at somewhere called Worthy Farm between Wednesday and Sunday this week. Would anyone be interested in joining me for a 5-10km run in the mornings while I'm there? Feel free to ask any questions you want! I was thinking about starting at the Cider Bus about 0930, going on a wander round the site and finishing up at either Lost Horizons/Magic Hat sauna or the Greenpeace showers to enable people to get clean if they want. People can obviously filter off at any point if they've had enough/are near home.

I'm only early on in my planning of this, so would love an indication of interest. Feel free to bring whichever refreshments you choose :) https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/specials/boston-marathon/2017/04/17/forrest-gump-successfully-runs-boston-marathon/hp7wqsZXFpNYtD93rHRvHK/story.html
If any of you are just interested in the journey, then go to www.goingthedistancerun.com or www.facebook.com/runroblarun. Hopefully see some of you there!

I'm still trying to figure out if I can be bothered to do the run to Shepton on Saturday morning for the parkrun or not, and what route to take.

Not sure I'd be feeling energetic enough for daily running though over the next week.

1 minute ago, Superscally said:

How far is it to Shepton? That's about 5k in itself innit?

I reckon about 3.5-4 miles depending on starting point within the festival and which roads through the village it is possible to get down. I'm in east campervan fields, but might find that rather than 
taking the shorter route along the roads to Pilton before getting to the A361 might be forced to go into the site and then back out again. No telling what response you'd get from the marshals/ security if going for a run along the roads outside the site at 8am on the Saturday.

There are a couple of footpaths marked on OpenStreetMap, but don't know if they are passable normally or if they would be during the festival. If those paths are not passable then would have to do at least a mile along the A361 and there isn't much grass verge there. Not sure how frustrated the traffic would be driving along that section, but there would be safety in numbers if a few people were making the trip.

2 hours ago, robin said:

I reckon about 3.5-4 miles depending on starting point within the festival and which roads through the village it is possible to get down. I'm in east campervan fields, but might find that rather than 
taking the shorter route along the roads to Pilton before getting to the A361 might be forced to go into the site and then back out again. No telling what response you'd get from the marshals/ security if going for a run along the roads outside the site at 8am on the Saturday.

There are a couple of footpaths marked on OpenStreetMap, but don't know if they are passable normally or if they would be during the festival. If those paths are not passable then would have to do at least a mile along the A361 and there isn't much grass verge there. Not sure how frustrated the traffic would be driving along that section, but there would be safety in numbers if a few people were making the trip.

I'm interested in Park Run at Shepton. I've just started training for Cardiff Half and was giving up on doing a long run at the weekend, but this might solve that. AA Route Planner is saying 5 miles.
It would be one of the more stupid things I've done at the festival, and I've been a few times. Don't want to miss Moonlandingz but I think they're after 12 so should be fine.