Bands you'd never heard of before this festival that you're looking forward to seeing

RichardWaller

Hands up, so far there's probably only about 20% of the line up so far that I've heard of, less that I've actually heard. Sometimes feel like I'm lost touch with modern music, I miss the thrill of discovery from reading interviews about my favourite bands' influences, nipping to record fairs looking for rarities, standing at the listening posts in Andy's Records, sharing mix tapes with mates.. Just feels like the way we discover music has changed so drastically. It's a different kind of hunt now, when just about anything is available at the tips of your fingers, it doesn't quite feel the same and personally I've just become kinda overwhelmed by choice, I don't even really know where to look or start these days, there's so much more to sift through.

Anyway, I digress. I've had a Spotify playlist on and off for weeks - richardmunden - if you're here, cheers. A lot of it is background stuff to me but there are a few who I'd never heard of before this dragged out announcement who've jumped out. So, so far I'm hoping to see Daughter, Savages, Floating Points, Lapsley and Hinds. I wonder having Spotify playlists would've effected the other festivals I've been to, not that I'd change a thing, I've loved them all.

Anyone you've discovered because of the announcements? Or even anyone you've discovered on the day at the festival - probably my best was Love with Arthur Lee in 2003, recognised the album cover but had no idea what they were like or who they were. Got obsessed for a bit after that.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were a few acts I'd heard of but hadn't properly listened to before (EITS, Bat For Lashes, M83, Kurt Vile) who I've enjoyed. 

The one who I'd never even heard of who I'm now looking forward to seeing in Vince Staples. Jump of the Roof is brilliant tune. 

In case anyone's not aware, the Spotify playlist mentioned above is curated by eFest staple Brave Sir Robin, much kodos to him! What a fantastic thing of wonder and glory it is. My discovery (although I feel I'm a little late to this party) is Band of Skulls (and after loving them with a passion I see they're still only TBC! Roll on Announcement Wednesday for their confirm....) Also loving Nothing But Thieves from that playlist

Right now I am listening to Explosions In The Sky who are new to me.  Really like them.

I had the same experience as you, @RichardWaller, with Love & Arthur Lee, but at Roskilde.  I was aware of who he was, but had never listened properly.  It wasn't the best gig, but it was still obvious that these were beautiful songs.  I got the album then and it is a classic of course.

10 minutes ago, watsonjm said:

There was a massive thread on this last year, introduced me to 4/5 bands i would never have seen otherwise 

If you have chance pop into ferocious dog.  Celtic punk band, whats not to like.

Ow wow - I've actually seen them! Feel very much in the know being able to say that (and like OP I feel completely out of touch recently and have heard of only a few bands so far).  They are great fun.  And the only reason I've seen them is because when I went in 2014 I really like Gaz Brookfield off the Spotify playlist, saw him at Glasto and then saw him again afterwards locally, when he was supporting Ferocious Dog.  

Of this year's stuff, I really like John Grant, Bat for Lashes and Band of Horses - but I've still got so much to listen to!

2 minutes ago, Watergirl said:

Right now I am listening to Explosions In The Sky who are new to me.  Really like them.

I had the same experience as you, @RichardWaller, with Love & Arthur Lee, but at Roskilde.  I was aware of who he was, but had never listened properly.  It wasn't the best gig, but it was still obvious that these were beautiful songs.  I got the album then and it is a classic of course.

I've heard bits of them, not bad.

Love with Arthur Lee at Glastonbury blew me away. The tour clashes with the festival but you might find this interesting... http://www.limfestival.com/line-up/johnny-echols/

1 hour ago, RichardWaller said:

Hands up, so far there's probably only about 20% of the line up so far that I've heard of, less that I've actually heard. Sometimes feel like I'm lost touch with modern music, I miss the thrill of discovery from reading interviews about my favourite bands' influences, nipping to record fairs looking for rarities, standing at the listening posts in Andy's Records, sharing mix tapes with mates.. Just feels like the way we discover music has changed so drastically. It's a different kind of hunt now, when just about anything is available at the tips of your fingers, it doesn't quite feel the same and personally I've just become kinda overwhelmed by choice, I don't even really know where to look or start these days, there's so much more to sift through.

Anyway, I digress. I've had a Spotify playlist on and off for weeks - richardmunden - if you're here, cheers. A lot of it is background stuff to me but there are a few who I'd never heard of before this dragged out announcement who've jumped out. So, so far I'm hoping to see Daughter, Savages, Floating Points, Lapsley and Hinds. I wonder having Spotify playlists would've effected the other festivals I've been to, not that I'd change a thing, I've loved them all.

Anyone you've discovered because of the announcements? Or even anyone you've discovered on the day at the festival - probably my best was Love with Arthur Lee in 2003, recognised the album cover but had no idea what they were like or who they were. Got obsessed for a bit after that.

Definitely agree with you about Daughter, and Lapsley is on my 'probably' list too. I've also discovered St. Paul and the Broken Bones, Seafret, Mac DeMarco and John Grant. 

My top discovery from previous lineups has got to be Vintage Trouble. Wish I'd been there for Love, but it was a bit before my time! 

4 hours ago, RichardWaller said:

That'd be me! And said playlist is here. The fact you didn't realise that means I plainly haven't been bumping the thread with all the info and updates enough:

3 hours ago, billum said:

In case anyone's not aware, the Spotify playlist mentioned above is curated by eFest staple Brave Sir Robin, much kodos to him! What a fantastic thing of wonder and glory it is. My discovery (although I feel I'm a little late to this party) is Band of Skulls (and after loving them with a passion I see they're still only TBC! Roll on Announcement Wednesday for their confirm....) Also loving Nothing But Thieves from that playlist

Cheers! The first time I've been described as a small item of stationery. A sure sign I've been on here too much/too long...

And to answer the question, loads of great discoveries for me this year: in no particular order Bixiga 70, vangoffey, Tiggs da Author, Ben Miller Band, The Black Madonna, Billie Marten, Khruangbin, Henry Saiz, The Apples, Paradise Bangkok Molam International Band, Hattie Hatfield, Shibusa Shirazu Orchestra and quite a few more! Plus rediscovering the likes of Explosions in the Sky and Mercury Rev has been wonderful.

Edited by Brave Sir Robin

2 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Cheers! The first time I've been described as a small item of stationery. A sure sign I've been on here too much/too long...

Heh, sharp as a pin and twice as useful. Clearly helping to keep the whole thing together

3 hours ago, found home in 2009 said:

Nobody I hadn't heard off, but had only heard odd Ezra Furman song on radio before line up was out. Now have listened to his last two albums loads & cant wait to see him

Is he a dude..... Seen him on Jools and I wasn't sure. 

Im looking forward to checking out The Apples ... An  Israeli hip hop jazz funk band

4 minutes ago, Jennings74 said:

Is he a dude..... Seen him on Jools and I wasn't sure. 

Im looking forward to checking out The Apples ... An  Israeli hip hop jazz funk band

Can't remember the last time I'd loved something so mch on first listen, thanks so much for linking this!

9 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Can't remember the last time I'd loved something so mch on first listen, thanks so much for linking this!

you can thank Mr Craig Charles he plays them on his 6Music show

this was my first experience of them!!

Practically all the music I have really loved over the last 6/7 years is from discovering stuff through festival playlists - be it Glasto / Latitude or EOTR on Spotify.  I've not listened to a lot from the Glastonbury one this year as there's plenty I want to see already.

I've always wondered whether bands realise they get such exposure just by being announced for a festival - and can get a new fanbase before they've even played it.  Local Natives, Dr Dog, Destroyer, Phosphorescent, Damien Jurado The War on Drugs, Genghar are all bands I would of only ever have gotten into, and listened to, because they were announced at a festival and were available on spotify

5 hours ago, RichardWaller said:

Love one of the bands that changed my life, hearing forever changes as an 18 year old blew me wide open musically! First and only time I cried at someone I don't know dying when Arthur passed. 

I've gotten into Ezra FURMAN since the announcement, he's totally bonkers but in a good way! 

Really liking protoje at the moment ,hopefully catch them ,treachorous orchestra could be good .

Too much to check if i like a lot i will be torn and dont want to be in that situation i,ll just pick a few and hopfully stumble on something new .

Are you travelling with your favourite coach company this year MR waller?

33 minutes ago, cornish hick said:

Are peeps taking it for certain St Paul etc are playing?

just listening to BSR spotify playlist again  liking Natty also Bunker busters but can't see BB on the a-z list.

St Paul have it on their website. Although I think they said the same last year before changing it!

I guess you mean Bunker Buster the song by Preoccupations (formerly known as Viet Cong). They aren't announced but their dates are too convenient for them not to be playing (please!)