London Victoria coach questions

mark_87

Hello,

A few queries:

How long generally does the coach take to get there on the Wednesday? (leaving at 8:30am, for example)

Can you get an earlier coach if you queue earlier or are they strict about what one you get on?

Has anyone ever travelled across London from east in a taxi to the station before? How bad is the road traffic in the morning?

Thanks

Edited by mark_87

That'll be National Express - they're very specific about which coach you get, there's an outside possibility of getting an earlier one if there's space but as its Glastonbury - there won't be space. So you're pretty much on your specified one  

It should take approx 4-5 hours I'd have thought, it'll stop somewhere for a while. 

And at 8am a taxi from east London will be a bloody nightmare - I'd definitely take a train or a tube, though I appreciate you'll be carrying a lot of stuff! It's a toss up - quicker and cheaper but a bit bloody awkward, or slow and expensive but straight there with no messing around. It's your choice! 

Just now, giantkatestacks said:

Every time we have got the coach from Victoria you join the one big queue and they just fill them as they go. We normally get on one about tennish and are on site by 1.30-2pm.

I would definately get the tube across town, even with luggage it will be less hideous than sitting in a cab.

That's been my experience as well, but they do make you wait if you're early. I've usually arrived an hour early to queue for the coach but last year the queue was moving faster, so when I got to the front I had to wait another 20 minutes.

The confirmation email from National Express should give you an estimated arrival time, which is usually pretty accurate. Leaving at 6:30 last year took  3 hours 30 minutes and departing at 7:00 the year before got me to the site at 10:40. I'd imagine that an 8:30 departure would take closer to 4 hours.

And yeah, I'd forget about a taxi unless you live somewhere that makes Victoria a real pain to get to by public transport. The traffic is guaranteed to be a nightmare!

57 minutes ago, mark_87 said:

Can you get an earlier coach if you queue earlier or are they strict about what one you get on?

I would imagine it depends on whether you're catching an ordinary coach or a proper Glastonbury ticket coach. Remember the Glasto coach drivers hand you your personal ticket at some point during the journey, in which case you would have to be on the relevant coach to be given it.

Edited by JanieM28

I have no coach ticket yet. I'm aware the coach I need to get is a National Express one and that it leaves from Victoria Station.

What time I get is going to be influenced by the helpful advice being imparted upon me... although it is looking likely to be 8:30am.

I deliberately booked a 10:30 departure from Victoria on the Wednesday, to avoid the rush hour crush on the Underground. Fully expecting a 4 hour ish journey. The excitement & coach tinnies will have to get me through it. Not even thinking about the journey home.