Making the trip from Reading?

WebMonkey

Hey,

So long story short, me and my mate could only get tickets in the resale and have to get a coach from Reading (coming from Manchester). We are going down on the Tuesday to get the coach Wednesday morning. It would be great to meet some people who are either from or travelling from Reading, maybe someone local can show us the best place to get a pre-glasto drink.

Figured it was worth an ask :-)

Edited by WebMonkey

I'm on the coach from Reading but heading out 3pm.

As a Reading Resident, can second the Nags Head. Superb collection ales (maybe a dozen hand pumps). As I'm an ale drinker through and through don't take an interest on what else is on offer. However, it is a short walk out of town.

I'm always slightly put off by Oakford Social as always takes an age to get served. Other recommendations from me are The Allied Arms (has a nice courtyard with heaters) and Greyfriars (if you like your Gin it is the place to go but ale and lager pretty decent too here). Other ale pubs - Retreat, Eldon Arms, Lyndhurst (east side of town) and erm, The Ale House in the centre. Most of these may do a decent cider but can not guarantee.

Theres the usual array of clone pubs in what is otherwise pretty much a clone town. Yates', Zero Degrees, Slug and Lettuce, Revolution etc..

I work in Reading, I tend to frequent Oakford Social a lot, Purple Turtle is aright too, Milk do some cracking cocktails but not sure if it's open on a Tuesday night - Allied Arms is nice, Pavs for cheap drinks (Blue Moon on tap there) if you fancy a bite to eat the new BBQ place near to Purple Turtle is really tasty 

Just now, WebMonkey said:

Wow, thanks for all the replies guys, our coach is 9am and we are in a hotel near the station so won't be a super late one. But definitely have enough recommendations for a mini-pub crawl, a bite to eat and a book break :-)

THANK YOU!

35 minutes ago, Woffy said:

No. To buy a book. You sneak a crafty hipflask of spirits in with you and read Dr. Suess and Asterix.

Um, my husband's still got loads of the Asterix books from his childhood, so don't encourage him!

Im a Reading resident and travelling by coach Wednesday too :) but on the afternoon coach I believe.

Both Weatherspoons will be a good shout as they will both be open in the morning and as they are cheap it means more money to spend at the festival :)

The Oakford is a great choice for somewhere nicer though!

Edited by JonSnow

13 hours ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

I work in Reading, I tend to frequent Oakford Social a lot, Purple Turtle is aright too, Milk do some cracking cocktails but not sure if it's open on a Tuesday night - Allied Arms is nice, Pavs for cheap drinks (Blue Moon on tap there) if you fancy a bite to eat the new BBQ place near to Purple Turtle is really tasty 

Second the new BBQ place as a good meal location :) No idea what its called though but a few buildings to the left of Purple turtle (as you are looking at it)

13 minutes ago, JonSnow said:

Second the new BBQ place as a good meal location :) No idea what its called though but a few buildings to the left of Purple turtle (as you are looking at it)

Ah cool, will definitely check that BBQ place out soon. Completely forgot that had opened tbh!

• 4 weeks later...

Make sure you get the right location for coach pickup - it is outside the (realtively new) North extrance, on Trooper Potts Way, as opposed to to the 'old'  main entrance on the town side of the station. There is an underpass you can use, as to cross the (huge new monolithic) bridge across the tracks you need a train ticket.

Trooper Potts is a fascinating story you might wish to ponder whilst sat there on the coach waiting to go: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Potts

Also, if you like football, there's a new 'pop-up' outdoor village right by the station with bars, massive screen and ping pong tables - me, wife and baby went on saturday, it's quite good.

https://www.evensi.uk/the-village-at-station-hill-station-hill-reading/177325666

I'm on the Thursday PM coach from Reading, but fortunately have mates on your coach taking my tent for me.  

We just tried the BBQ place. Was a great recommendation although my mate is now dying after the platter.

Thanks lowermead, we have already verified the location to make sure we get it right :-) also good call on having friends setup. We have some driving doing that for us.