Lineup 2018

13 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Is there a reason we're discounting Florence + The Machine? New album will be due by then, fits the demographic like a glove, would be a new headliner and won't have played in six years by that point.

Decent shout, given they didn't discount her BST tickets must show it sold well enough.

40 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Is there a reason we're discounting Florence + The Machine? New album will be due by then, fits the demographic like a glove, would be a new headliner and won't have played in six years by that point.

Not that they're being 'discounted', it's just that there's so many names it's hard to entertain the idea of all of them.

I wonder if - now there's one less major UK festival and there'll probably one or two fewer in 2018 - R+L could extend to four days or something. You'd think they could get the acts/headliners; it's just whether it'd be financially viable.

Edited by dentalplan

14 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Not that they're being 'discounted', it's just that there's so many names it's hard to entertain the idea of all of them.

I wonder if - now there's one less major UK festival and there'll probably one or two fewer in 2018 - R+L could extend to four days or something. You'd think they could get the acts/headliners; it's just whether it'd be financially viable.

That'd be really cool, if they could get the bands for a fourth day. With TITP being canned this year, I can see IOW following suit next year, what with all the uncertainty there was this year up until a few weeks ago. 

14 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I would certainly be interested in seeing R&L extend to having some acts on the Thursday, even if just a half day with a special guest to headline the day but not be an official headliner (the likes of Frank Turner, Enter Shikari etc would be good options).

I was thinking about it earlier with, if true, R+L getting their strongest headliners in aeons when other festivals are folding (TITP) or giving up (IOW) and it ending up with a Werchter kind of situation where they could book six headliners across four days or something like that - a some new, some old reliable ones. Tho Werchter, Roskilde etc. are all two months away from R+L and it would definitely be tougher to fill a strong bill at the end of August. Just a thought anyway.

If it happened and they retained the early entry pass thing you'd have punters on site Tuesday-Monday which would be a bit nuts, but you'd definitely feel more like you'd got your money's worth if you were paying for four days of music rather than three (if the price increase wasn't too dear)

Edited by Zac Quinn

Maybe they could do something like not having all stages open on the Thursday, maybe just the Main and the NME. Cut the amount of bands on the Main Stage down to eight each day (bands get longer sets, that way, too) and that'd be three bands who could play the Thursday, along with a fourth headliner. Then they'll only have to get four more bands for that day. Probably a shit idea, but it's just that, an idea. 

58 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Maybe they could do something like not having all stages open on the Thursday, maybe just the Main and the NME. Cut the amount of bands on the Main Stage down to eight each day (bands get longer sets, that way, too) and that'd be three bands who could play the Thursday, along with a fourth headliner. Then they'll only have to get four more bands for that day. Probably a shit idea, but it's just that, an idea. 

Licensing would probably dictate that if they were going to open some stages but not others then it should be the smaller ones, especially at Reading, resedential area and all that 

4 hours ago, Zac Quinn said:

Yeah Florence is also very possible, I always thought she'd be more likely to do T in the Park when she next comes around but if T doesn't continue then the next place would probably R&L. 

I really think Kendrick deserves the push to headliner after his next album, as long as it doesn't flop which i really can't imagine it will. BMTH, Foos and Kendrick would be a great mix and a good strong set of headliners. 2 new headliners too which would be good if Muse, Eminem and Kasabian is true from this year where no new headliners have been given the push.

8 minutes ago, dylangraham said:

I really think Kendrick deserves the push to headliner after his next album, as long as it doesn't flop which i really can't imagine it will. BMTH, Foos and Kendrick would be a great mix and a good strong set of headliners. 2 new headliners too which would be good if Muse, Eminem and Kasabian is true from this year where no new headliners have been given the push.

That could be the thinking behind this year with two new headliners next time.

45 minutes ago, leej7 said:

With the new album due soonish, Arctic Monkeys will certainly be in the loop too, surely?

Hopefully not quite so soon. Would guarantee a sell-out but it'd be a bit naff to see them booked again when there are so many other potential acts who've headlined either less recently or never. Bit like Eminem this year really. 

14 hours ago, OscarEB said:

Ed Sheeran // Tame Impala // Panic! ATD // Run the Jewels // Neck Deep

Co headline (alt j/ TøP/ 1975/ kendrick/ courteeners etc) // TLSP // Jess Glynne// Asking Alexandria

BMTH // ADTR // enter shikari// Weezer // Blossoms 

Courteeners are NEVER headlining R&L unless they decide to do something where Leeds gets them as a headliner and Reading gets someone else. They didn't even sell out Brixton academy on their latest tour and even Pierce The Veil managed to.

TLSP subbing is a push aswell but they'll be finished by then and Arctic Monkeys will be more likely.

I also don't know if R&L would book Ed Sheeran again, he seems too pop for R&L as a headliner.

Edited by Gozpot

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Gonna chuck this one out to get some flak of my own:

BRING ME THE HORIZON, A Day to Remember, Zach de la Rocha, Mastodon +++ NME: Vampire Weekend

THE 1975, Skepta, Courteeners, The Hunna +++ NME: Enter Shikari

FOO FIGHTERS, Twenty One Pilots, Babymetal, Bombay Bicycle Club +++ NME: Grimes

Would certainly boost a lot of acts right up the card, but I like that idea and think next year could be the year to do it. They are not all to my taste but I could see a few of them being able to pull it off by 18. That said, babymetal 3rd might be a stretch

Edited by OscarEB
No idea who ZDLR is tho

Do you really now know who Zach de la Rocha is? Or do you mean 'cos I wrote 'Zach' when I should've put 'Zack'. :P He's yer man from the once-great Rage Against the Machine. New solo stuff is being worked on (and is so far good) but it'd be something of a surprise if it wasn't a long drawn out process so 2018 is more suitable.

I think Babymetal are about to cross that bridge between novelty opening act and taken-somewhat-seriously rock act. You may be right that 3rd is a stretch but somewhere around there.