Lineup 2018

10 minutes ago, Jayvk said:

I upvoted, I agree completely lmao.

Cheers b. :P I don't really give a toss about the reputation points side of it but I just found it weird that it seemed people were indicating I was wrong when it's something I thought was universally understood and agreed on that hip hop is beating out rock now and those two being the rappers that reach outside of that the most and are admired across a spread of genres nowadays. If neither headline in 2018 then the fest has dropped a bollock.

Edited by dentalplan

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Cheers b. :P I don't really give a toss about the reputation points side of it but I just found it weird that it seemed people were indicating I was wrong when it's something I thought was universally understood and agreed on that hip hop is beating out rock nowadays and those two being the rappers that reach outside of that the most and are admired across a spread of genres nowadays. If neither headline in 2018 then the fest has dropped a bollock.

Honestly, couldn't agree more. It is pretty much fact that hip hop is beating rock and most other genres to be completely fair. You often hear artists say that Kanye is among their biggest influences. That's not just rappers either. Kanye has influenced a whole generation of artists across Rock, R&B, Indie, Dance and of course Hip Hop. If neither Kendrick or Kanye are booked next year then R&L are definitely missing something.

6 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Cheers b. :P I don't really give a toss about the reputation points side of it but I just found it weird that it seemed people were indicating I was wrong when it's something I thought was universally understood and agreed on that hip hop is beating out rock now and those two being the rappers that reach outside of that the most and are admired across a spread of genres nowadays. If neither headline in 2018 then the fest has dropped a bollock.

I assume it's because the type of 16/17 year olds who are likely to post on eFests are probably the type who think rock music is proper music and hip-hop isn't. Most newbies we get on here seem to be after the likes of Foos, Green Day and Blink rather than Kanye.

I was the same and I feel like most others in this section were when I first started posting on here.

In the real world it may be accepted that hip-hop is beating out rock music but maybe not on festival forums. So you've probably been downvoted in annoyance by people like that manchestermusicreview guy who loves Courteeners.

2 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

I assume it's because the type of 16/17 year olds who are likely to post on eFests are probably the type who think rock music is proper music and hip-hop isn't. Most newbies we get on here seem to be after the likes of Foos, Green Day and Blink rather than Kanye.

I was the same and I feel like most others in this section were when I first started posting on here.

In the real world it may be accepted that hip-hop is beating out rock music but maybe not on festival forums. So you've probably been downvoted in annoyance by people like that manchestermusicreview guy who loves Courteeners.

Ha yeah that's a point. I was the same as that but I'd like to think I'd have at least made a horrendous attempt of trying to say Catfish and the Bottlemen were more important to music here in 2017. :lol:

12 minutes ago, justanothername said:

Biffy - 2013

Biffy - 2016

Keep up

Eh that's not what the rule means. Like there was a meme that there was a 5 year rule for Metallica cos they played 2003 and 2008, and he's saying there's a 4 year rule now for Blink cos they played in 2010 and 2014.

When the Metallica 5 year rule was a thing, there had been acts play with a 3 year gap like Foos in 2002 and 2005.

• Upvote 1

If anything has been consistently delivering a product / service for years that people have become used to and like, of course people will become disappointed when things change significantly. Reading for however long has been a predominately rock / indie festival. So having 2/3rds of your headliners outside of that bracket will naturally cause an uproar, as they've created an expectation. Similar to when bands 'sell out', not to say their new sound is bad, but you've developed a brand which gives them an expectation which you have failed to deliver upon. So naturally people will be angry

FWIW I didn't downvote, just speaking for the people, and wouldn't necessarily be opposed to 2 rappers although would probably only go to see Kanye

41 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

If anything has been consistently delivering a product / service for years that people have become used to and like, of course people will become disappointed when things change significantly. Reading for however long has been a predominately rock / indie festival. So having 2/3rds of your headliners outside of that bracket will naturally cause an uproar, as they've created an expectation. Similar to when bands 'sell out', not to say their new sound is bad, but you've developed a brand which gives them an expectation which you have failed to deliver upon. So naturally people will be angry

FWIW I didn't downvote, just speaking for the people, and wouldn't necessarily be opposed to 2 rappers although would probably only go to see Kanye

Although I'd certainly be for it, I wasn't really advocating that they book both; it was a comment that those two are much better for the job than anything rock can offer up (and the only bands anyone seems excited about seeing have already headlined, see Royal Blood coheadlining discussions) so it's a shame that they are relegated to being "the rap headliner" when the other two can be whatever as long as they're holding guitars.

Besides, Reading moves with the times quicker than people do so there comes a point in practically everyone's lives where the festival leaves them behind and disappoints them. It did me and my friends so I don't know why anyone else should be spared that crushing moment. Plus it honestly wouldn't be a bad thing to clear out the "I THOUGHT THIS WAS READING ROCK FESTIVAL" types cos it hasn't been called that since 1986 so they're clearly misinformed and in need of a shock to the system.

Edited by dentalplan

15 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Although I'd certainly be for it, I wasn't really advocating that they book both; it was a comment that those two are much better for the job than anything rock can offer up (and the only bands anyone seems excited about seeing have already headlined, see Royal Blood coheadlining discussions) so it's a shame that they are relegated to being "the rap headliner" when the other two can be whatever as long as they're holding guitars.

Besides, Reading moves with the times quicker than people do so there comes a point in practically everyone's lives where the festival leaves them behind and disappoints them. It did me and my friends so I don't know why anyone else should be spared that crushing moment. Plus it honestly wouldn't be a bad thing to clear out the "I THOUGHT THIS WAS READING ROCK FESTIVAL" types cos it hasn't been called that since 1986 so they're clearly misinformed and in need of a shock to the system.

Yeah fair enough, I'm not saying it should/ shouldn't happen, but when change happens you know there will be people on online forums getting angry and throwing the downvotes

I agree about what your saying about the people demanding an exclusively rock festival, but let's be honest for decades you'd look at the lineup and call it a 'mostly rock festival'

Also, whilst I agree Kendrick / Kanye / Drake have more contemporary significance then any rock headliner could, is that a factor in a reading headliner? You could say the same about Rihanna compared to any of the headliners in the last decade

Edited by Steve1000

3 hours ago, dentalplan said:

this is such a good point about how r&l move with the times way quicker than people, when the lineup comes out it always gets so much hate because there are loads of artists that people dont know or arent into however by the time it comes to summer everyones favourite artists are playing.

half my reply got cut out when i posted it so just going to leave this bit

Edited by Jack w
half reply got cut out

anyway about reading being a rock festival i just think its how big the festival is in the rock scene and the majority of the headliners are always rock.

for me i like the mix of hip hop and rock that they have going on however my favourite genre is definitely rock n roll so if the festival balanced out even more and only had say 1 rock headliner i would personally find it disappointing as the chances are i would not be seeing all three headliners so i would end up at another stage which would be fine just the atmosphere and effects and stuff which goes into the main stage headliners would be a shame to miss .And No i did not downvote dentalplan btw lol the point made was valid.

22 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Do people reckon maybe the coheadliner could be Disclosure? It's only been 2 years since they last played but if they have a new album around then maybe? Just a thought....

i think could happen but for such a big slot 2 years would be too soon as there are lots of others that could fill that space ?

6 hours ago, Will-2609 said:

Eh that's not what the rule means. Like there was a meme that there was a 5 year rule for Metallica cos they played 2003 and 2008, and he's saying there's a 4 year rule now for Blink cos they played in 2010 and 2014.

When the Metallica 5 year rule was a thing, there had been acts play with a 3 year gap like Foos in 2002 and 2005.

thanks for explaining my post will-2609 you absolute warrior, gonna treat you to an upvote

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

I swear if Kanye gets announced then tickets for Reading will sell ridiculously quickly. The man hasn't done a proper UK show (really) since Glastonbury right? And I can't exactly imagine the 16/ 17 year olds that will be going to Reading next year would have seen him there. 

Tbf most these 16/17 year olds would be buying a ticket anyway, Kanye or no Kanye

• Downvote 1

18 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

shite at editing but here's what I'm thinking in terms of logo acts

Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 16.27.24.png

no offence I agree with all headliners all very likely and subs very good boy better know I believe is a shot in the dark I would probably change that for stormzy or  Macklemore etc and I would probably change the courteeners for vampire weekend or cage the elephant and swap them with don broco and I would change don broco for kodaline as they have new eps and album coming out I know that sounds very indie it kind is but that is readings kind of image rock/indie I agree with all second row apart from I think dua lipa might be changed for the likes of mura masa or odesza apart from that I think this is strong prediction.

Edited by bigcharlie65