Lineup 2018

Given this is where I saw the gender debate kicking off the most, it seemed the most suitable place to post this:

http://smirnoffequalizer.com/

It's a tool to show you what % of your Spotify streams are by male vs female artists and to promote female artists. 

http://www.thedrum.com/news/2018/03/02/marketing-s-changemakers-smirnoff-rolls-out-equalizer-tool-spotify-promote-women

Interesting idea. 

2 hours ago, harryy said:

NME have announced the end of their print-editons :(, looks like we have a reason for the lack of them sponsoring the Radio 1 tent at RnL. Sad times for such a big magazine. 

Gutted I missed last weeks edition as shame were on the cover, found it pretty mad that they’re already on the cover of the NME. They seem smart about it as well so I reckon they’ll stay true to themselves.  Huge potential there.

55 minutes ago, Mattd1205 said:

Given this is where I saw the gender debate kicking off the most, it seemed the most suitable place to post this:

It's a tool to show you what % of your Spotify streams are by male vs female artists and to promote female artists. 

http://www.thedrum.com/news/2018/03/02/marketing-s-changemakers-smirnoff-rolls-out-equalizer-tool-spotify-promote-women

Interesting idea. 

It'd be an interesting idea if it worked. At least for the promoting women side, because the personalised playlist it made for me was way, way off. Weirdly it had one Stone Sour song then the rest was Ellie Goulding and Craig David and stuff. 

I find that fucking weird because I don't even listen to Stone Sour but it must've known I'm a rock fan for including them so what the fuck was the rest of the playlist?

15 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

It'd be an interesting idea if it worked.

My thoughts exactly after trying it haha.

Edited by SomeoneListeningIn

Mine was something like 96% male which I can't believe is correct either. Just did a quick check of the playlist I've been listening to most recently and that's just over 25% female.

Edited by SomeoneListeningIn

1 hour ago, UndergroundSound said:

Gutted I missed last weeks edition as shame were on the cover, found it pretty mad that they’re already on the cover of the NME. They seem smart about it as well so I reckon they’ll stay true to themselves.  Huge potential there.

Yeah saw the cover and thought I'd check them out. Think I'll be listening to them for a while now, like their sound a lot. Also gives me another option for that KoL day.

2 hours ago, Mattd1205 said:

Interesting idea. 

Mine told me 90% men and 10% women then offered me an equaliser playlist where the first four songs were by The Killers, Panic! at the Disco, some Sanchez bloke and Pharell. Okay.

2 hours ago, UndergroundSound said:

Eh loads of new acts like Shame make the NME cover. At least they did when I read it back in like 2011/2012. Has it changed that much?

51 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Mine was something like 96% male which I can't believe is correct either. Just did a quick check of the playlist I've been listening to most recently and that's just over 25% female.

Is that 25% acts having a female member/being female-fronted, though? I'm assuming it's talking total band members so a female-fronted four-piece with the rest of the band being male only actually counts for 25%.

46 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

I got 6% female. Is that 6% of the artists I listen to have a woman, or that 6% of the total band members I listen to are female?

I'm assuming total band members. Don't think 90% of the acts I've listened to have 0 women in them.

3 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Is that 25% acts having a female member/being female-fronted, though? I'm assuming it's talking total band members so a female-fronted four-piece with the rest of the band being male only actually counts for 25%.

Yeah it must be that.

1 hour ago, MIchael_scarn said:

Yeah saw the cover and thought I'd check them out. Think I'll be listening to them for a while now, like their sound a lot. Also gives me another option for that KoL day.

Yeah i rate them they're quality, incredible debut album

36 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Eh loads of new acts like Shame make the NME cover. At least they did when I read it back in like 2011/2012. Has it changed that much?

Don't heavily read NME  but they're the first proper small band I've noticed on the cover from following their social media and in stores, but I'm sure they defo aren't the first new/small band to get a big feature, especially when the zine was actually good.

Yeah NME used to have really small new bands on the cover all the time. Especially across the 2000's when there was a newly hyped act every week. I'd hardly call Shame small either compared to the likes of Palma Violets, The Vaccines and Viva Brother who were plastered across the front page as the 'saviours of rock music' with one or two songs to their name - Shame are mid-main stage at Reading and Leeds now.

5 hours ago, Steve1000 said:

I got 6% female. Is that 6% of the artists I listen to have a woman, or that 6% of the total band members I listen to are female?

What about the bored looking female multi-instrumentalist who tours with Front Bottoms? Does that mean that Front Bottoms count as having a female member?

Might boost my percentage if they do count as there's no Pvris or Paramore to help the female percentage in my playlist.Haha

This might be of interest to Leeds attendees. Live at Leeds will have a ‘Leeds Festival’ stage this year, with The Vaccines headlining.

Presumably this will work as a showcase for the acts that are playing both festivals, ahead of the August event. The likes of The Horrors, Night Cafe and Pale Waves - among others - have been announced for both so you might expect them to appear too.

Interesting move from the festival and tells you all you need to know about their desperation to attract people that they’re willing to use a much smaller event to promote their product. Remember them doing it after Glastonbury last year, but this is a complete change-up.

C61843E2-64D3-4E53-81D6-8B2522FBED3E.jpeg