Lineup 2018

19 minutes ago, UndergroundSound said:

anyone else by any chance manage to get tickets for Frank Carter and the Rattlesnakes' free gig in Dr. Martens Camden on Saturday night? So fucking buzzed to see them in a 60 capacity venue, especially considering they sold out Brixton Academy with a 5000 cap.

I saw them back in 2015 around when Blossom came out in like a 100-150 cap venue, was mental so you're in a treat there. It's crazy how far they've come.

5 minutes ago, justanothername said:

I saw them back in 2015 around when Blossom came out in like a 100-150 cap venue, was mental so you're in a treat there. It's crazy how far they've come.

Yeah that's mad how far they've come since then, I've only caught them live once before which was at Reading 17 in front of a huge crowd so will be such a different experience.

32 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

I'm sure I'm way, way off, but why aren't they? I'm sure most people in attendance would know at least 7 songs or something and would probably be down for it. It would be a massive party.

They're pretty naff though, and their normal crowds are almost exclusively middle-aged. They'd likely be a decent enough show at Isle of Wight and Glastonbury and BST but I don't think they're gonna coax in yer average Reading and Leeds fans. As @jkerr4412 points out, look at the support acts at TRNSMT - people who are likely to go along for those acts are who they're aiming for. 

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They're pretty naff though, and their normal crowds are almost exclusively middle-aged. They'd likely be a decent enough show at Isle of Wight and Glastonbury and BST but I don't think they're gonna coax in yer average Reading and Leeds fans. As @jkerr4412 points out, look at the support acts at TRNSMT - people who are likely to go along for those acts are who they're aiming for. 

Fair enough. I wouldn't expect people who go to R&L to actually get tickets to their own shows, but would be a cool festival band.

11 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Going from forming a band in 2015 to selling out Brixton in 2017 is insane. They’ve done so much in such a short time. I can see them getting to sub headline size in a few years.

If he didn't leave Gallows we'd already have had him headline. 

51 minutes ago, UndergroundSound said:

anyone else by any chance manage to get tickets for Frank Carter and the Rattlesnakes' free gig in Dr. Martens Camden on Saturday night? So fucking buzzed to see them in a 60 capacity venue, especially considering they sold out Brixton Academy with a 5000 cap.

Not me, had an email yesterday saying no tickets for me.

Just now, rivalschools.price said:

Not me, had an email yesterday saying no tickets for me.

ahh unlucky mate, I applied ages ago so I got an email saying I had a ticket and a  +1, but still must have been close as my friend who applied a couple of days after me didn't get accepted. Grateful I got a +1 so he can still come otherwise I'd be going up to London alone.

11 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Agree with this. I feel like BMTH took the seat that Gallows vacated. Looks like Frank is replicating it to a lesser extent though, so it's not all that bad.

I'm upsetting myself thinking about it :lol:. They had so much hype, and the thing is is that's Gallows are cool. Whereas most people would look at BMTH and think "who the fuck are these emo fartsniffers?" and immediately turn away. So I feel like they'd have been massive.

38 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

I'm upsetting myself thinking about it :lol:. They had so much hype, and the thing is is that's Gallows are cool. Whereas most people would look at BMTH and think "who the fuck are these emo fartsniffers?" and immediately turn away. So I feel like they'd have been massive.

Gallows were so good. Everything about them was super cool. I’m unsure about them headlining if Frank had never left, I kind of got the feeling that they would eventually burn out anyway. I think he will come good with the Rattlesnakes and still get really big. 

To be fair to BMTH, they got so much stick for years even though they were releasing great albums in Suicide Season and There Is A Hell... because of the way they they look (mostly Oli). If they had looked like, I don’t know, Lamb of God and released those albums, they’d have been embraced by a lot more of the wider metal community. 

I guess it doesn’t matter now they’ve been fully embraced by a different crowd.

Edited by Andre91

43 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

Don't get too down. I'm sure Gallows would have been coerced into heavily compromising in order to carry on upwards.

27 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Gallows were so good. Everything about them was super cool. I’m unsure about them headlining if Frank had never left, I kind of got the feeling that they would eventually burn out anyway. I think he will come good with the Rattlesnakes and still get really big. 

To be fair to BMTH, they got so much stick for years even though they were releasing great albums in Suicide Season and There Is A Hell... because of the way they they look (mostly Oli). If they had looked like, I don’t know, Lamb of God and released those albums, they’d have been embraced by a lot more of the wider metal community. 

Yeah I think The Forum was the biggest venue they did so I'm possibly getting ahead of myself. Around Enter Shikari size let's say. 

And yeah completely agree on BMTH, There is a Hell particularly. Tbf I can't blame someone for hearing Diamonds Aren't Forever or whatever and thinking it's abit shit (even though it's a cracker), There is a Hell though is fucking incredible and easily one of the best metal albums of the decade.

Pretty weird how narrow minded some of the metal community are as you'd have thought it'd take a pretty fucking open mind to get into it in the first place, but alas.

Edited by Steve1000
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

Yeah I think The Forum was the biggest venue they did so I'm possibly getting ahead of myself. Around Enter Shikari size let's say. 

And yeah completely agree on BMTH, There is a Hell particularly. Tbf I can't blame someone for hearing Diamonds Aren't Forever or whatever and thinking it's abit shit (even though it's a cracker), There is a Hell though is fucking incredible and easily one of the best metal albums of the decade.

Pretty weird how narrow minded some of the metal community are as you'd have thought it'd take a pretty fucking open mind to get into it in the first place, but alas.

Even then, getting to arena level as a hardcore band would have been an unbelievable achievement. 

Agreed, There Is A Hell... is incredible. It’s exactly what a modern metal album in 2010 should have sounded like. I also think that about Sempiternal. If in 2013 you had someone from 20 years in the past suddenly appear and ask what manstrwam metal sounds like in 2013, I think that’s the album that would have best represented that. Makes it all the more disheartening the way they’ve gone.

On the flip side, it doesn’t surprise me that they’ve kind of given the metal community at large the finger in recent years when they were so unreasonably trashed by them for so long when they were making great heavy music. 

It’s been said a thousand times but the direction they go with the next album is going to be fascinating. 

Edited by Andre91

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

Sempiternal is their best record though

48 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

I mean, There Is A Hell good but I wouldn't say it's one of the best Metal albums this decade. I can easily think of far better albums that have come out this decade

Edited by justanothername

10 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Agreed, There Is A Hell... is incredible. It’s exactly what a modern metal album in 2010 should have sounded like. I also think that about Sempiternal. If in 2013 you had someone from 20 years in the past suddenly appear and ask what manstrwam metal sounds like in 2013, I think that’s the album that would have best represented that. Makes it all the more disheartening the way they’ve gone.

It’s been said a thousand times but the direction they go with the next album is going to be fascinating. 

Honestly, There Is A Hell... is one of my favourite albums of all time, with Suicide Season also up there somewhere. I can't describe how disappointed I was to see them drop Crucify Me on their last tour before I saw them, my favourite song off the album. I only bought a ticket in the hope they'd pull something special out :rolleyes: 

Whatever the direction they go in, it's gonna be hard to maintain their current fanbase. Do they alienate the ones who like their heavier side even further, or distance themselves from the more mainstream crowd who prefer stuff like Follow You? It'll be interesting to see if they can maintain their current popularity for much longer - if the next album is successful, I think they'll be around for a very long time. If not, who knows?

8 minutes ago, LRDJ said:

Whatever the direction they go in, it's gonna be hard to maintain their current fanbase. Do they alienate the ones who like their heavier side even further, or distance themselves from the more mainstream crowd who prefer stuff like Follow You? It'll be interesting to see if they can maintain their current popularity for much longer - if the next album is successful, I think they'll be around for a very long time. If not, who knows?

I think they'll play it safe and try for an album of arena rock bangers. 

Honestly though, long term I have no clue what they'll do about Oli. Given how shite he is now, how the fuck will he be able to perform in 10/15/20 years time?

Edited by Steve1000

17 minutes ago, justanothername said:

Sempiternal is their best record though

I mean, There Is A Hell good but I wouldn't say it's one of the best Metal albums this decade. I can easily think of far better albums that have come out this decade

Totally agree on Sempiternal. Sonically it’s their best. 

8 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

Honestly though, long term I have no clue what they'll do about Oli. Given how shite he is now, how the fuck will he be able to perform in 10/15/20 years time?

I'd agree with you there

Neither do I, he's been shit for years and considering he's pretty much only singing now he truly is woeful. I could see them only touring very sparingly just for the sake of his voice.

9 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

He’ll be the subject of the first non-deceased hologram tribute. 

2 hours ago, UndergroundSound said:

ahh unlucky mate, I applied ages ago so I got an email saying I had a ticket and a  +1, but still must have been close as my friend who applied a couple of days after me didn't get accepted. Grateful I got a +1 so he can still come otherwise I'd be going up to London alone.

Yeah, I wouldn’t have entered if there wasn’t a +1 with it, don’t fancy a trip  to London on my own.

Have a great time