Lineup 2018

2 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

I mean either that or they'd have to upgrade the stage sizes. The capacity of the stages aint that big, NME before it got shrunk held 20k, but is now signifiacntly less (I'd guess like 12k). COnsidering there are potentially 90 k people on site...

Does anyone know how many the Lock up and FR stages hold?

2 hours ago, MIchael_scarn said:

This came up on my feed and thought I'd share. Spotted Leeds is a rotten account sometimes but this did make me laugh a little.

image.jpeg

Still don't think trying to publicly shame someone for their music taste is on. The lad's name wasn't even covered on the actual post so god knows what kind of abuse he got this morning. 

• Like 2

Managed to get hold of Brockhampton tickets for show in London as well, getting to see them twice in one week will hopefully make up for the lackluster a level results!

Absolutely mad how much main stage is left on Saturday, feel like before Sum 41 will be our out of place metal band. Feel the undercard is shaping up to be one of the strongest. So much more room on the Lock up and Pit which Im hoping will be filled by Trash Boat, WSTR, outside chance of Real Friends maybe? 

10 minutes ago, Batch27 said:

Managed to get hold of Brockhampton tickets for show in London as well, getting to see them twice in one week will hopefully make up for the lackluster a level results!

Absolutely mad how much main stage is left on Saturday, feel like before Sum 41 will be our out of place metal band. Feel the undercard is shaping up to be one of the strongest. So much more room on the Lock up and Pit which Im hoping will be filled by Trash Boat, WSTR, outside chance of Real Friends maybe? 

That's BROCKHAMPTON, thank you.

1 hour ago, MIchael_scarn said:

Anyone listened to everything everything's new ep?Breadwinner is yet another class tune, so gutted they're not at R+L.

Yeah loving that and The Mariana. Proper shame they're not at Reading and I can't make it to their gig tonight :(

Edited by TheWaters

1 hour ago, TheWaters said:

Yeah loving that and The Mariana. Proper shame they're not at Reading and I can't make it to their gig tonight :(

Was really hoping they'd do a Liverpool show but it seems like very little relatively big bands ever do. Definitely would've been a great booking but doubt they'd have been top of the list for FR if they're going the way of 'what people are listening to'. 

7 minutes ago, MIchael_scarn said:

Was really hoping they'd do a Liverpool show but it seems like very little relatively big bands ever do. Definitely would've been a great booking but doubt they'd have been top of the list for FR if they're going the way of 'what people are listening to'. 

They played last year so can't be that far off FR's radar.

Just now, dentalplan said:

They played last year so can't be that far off FR's radar.

I know but everybody was suggesting 4th main this year was about where they were at and with J Hus and The wombats being given that slot this year, I was suggesting they weren't high up on FRs list with the type of acts they've booked for those positions. 

4 minutes ago, MIchael_scarn said:

I know but everybody was suggesting 4th main this year was about where they were at and with J Hus and The wombats being given that slot this year, I was suggesting they weren't high up on FRs list with the type of acts they've booked for those positions. 

Tbf no c**t listens to The Wombats either.

Everything Everything will be back next year, I'd imagine.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

The Wombats really is a headscratcher, everyone I know at Uni who's happy to blast Ed Sheeran and top 40 house music at pre drinks seems to love them? I don't understand when they got big again.

I wouldn't say it's that bizarre as no matter what direction the festival goes in they're a pretty safe booking. They do put on a good show but they're literally everywhere and I've seen them so many times I'm bored of them now, would much rather have seen someone different in that slot.

Wouldn't say there's any good surprises when you look higher up the lineup as all the good acts we were already expecting, the rest either seem safe bookings or just absolutely awful hah

Just now, MIchael_scarn said:

I wouldn't say it's that bizarre as no matter what direction the festival goes in they're a pretty safe booking. They do put on a good show but they're literally everywhere and I've seen them so many times I'm bored of them now, would much rather have seen someone different in that slot.

Without context I can't tell if you're talking about The Wombats, The Kooks or The Vaccines. What a boring lineup we have. 

58 minutes ago, TheWaters said:

Without context I can't tell if you're talking about The Wombats, The Kooks or The Vaccines. What a boring lineup we have. 

Like I said though all the above are safe bookings and for the average indie punter they'd probably be rather happy with that (you can lump Courteeners in with them too). 

Having seen all of the above a number of times, I'm bored of R+L having the same names in those slots over and over again and want something different like i'm sure is the same with a lot of people on this forum. It makes sense in my mind to not have the same bands almost on a 2 year rotation and would surely benefit the festival in the long run, but on the other hand you have the people who are expecting the wombats, courteeners etc almost every year which R+L seem to give in to and therefore we end up with the same boring acts. 

Bookings like EE, Friendly Fires, The Cribs, The Streets, Editors, would have made me as an indie fan so much more excited for the festival but instead they stick with the same boring, lacklustre bands every year as they don't want to take a risk on more out there acts for these positions on the lineup.

1 hour ago, TheWaters said:

Wombats are the only one on that list I would say put on a good live show though :P

1 hour ago, Alex DeLarge said:

The Wombats really is a headscratcher, everyone I know at Uni who's happy to blast Ed Sheeran and top 40 house music at pre drinks seems to love them? I don't understand when they got big again.

Glitterbug was a really great album, pretty much the best generic indie rock album in years imo (new album is alright, half of it is good and the other half is meh). Plus their older stuff is full of classics (Moving To New York, LEt's Dance To Joy Division, Techno Fan, Kill The Director, 1996, Tokyo etc.)

Agreed on them being a safe booking. They are a crowd pleaser, everyone knows a bunch of their songs and would be happy to see them. Sure they aint gonna be anyones favourite act and wont sell many day tickets I imagine, but obviously lots of people are planning on seeing them. Last year at Community they were great (even though I did feel a tad old in that crowd lmao), whe the intro to Welcome To NEw York came on and the corwd went wild, just as the sun was setting too ahhh such a great set.

Acts like Friendly Fires are a lot less well known for most people (at least to my friends at least, convincing people to come to Victorious has been a real struggle so far aha). Everything Everything I still think would be a 5th down band. Streets would have been a nice NME headliner, and they could have gotten Editors last year (when they played Victorious) but for whatever reason didnt.