Lineup 2018

4 minutes ago, thelemon said:

Pendulum is a massive booking, the trio of them, Wolf Alice and Skepta is such a strong set of NME headliners!

Compared to YMA6/Flume/HAIM; Jack Ü/TDCC/1975; Limp Bizkit/Rebel Sound/Deadmau5; Courteeners/Bombay Bicycle Club/Disclosure; Skrillex/alt-J/Phoenix; Maccabees/At The Drive-In/Justice; The Streets/Beady Eye/Jane's Addiction; Pendulum/Klaxons/LCD Soundsystem; I think this year's trio is the best of this decade.

Pendulum are a massive booking for me personally, but the 2 bolded are stronger than this years IMO, and arguably 16's headliners are stronger than this year too, with arguments for some of the others too.

2 minutes ago, KingPin said:

Am I correct in saying that all the top acts up until the Courteeners were announced in the first announcement?

1st Announcement: Kendrick Lamar, The Wombats, Sum 41, Kings Of Leon, Fall Out Boy, Panic! At The Disco, Nothing But Thieves, Wolf Alice, Skepta, Courteeners, BROCKHAMPTON, Creeper, Dua Lipa, Post Malone, Beartooth, Pale Waves, Papa Roach

2nd Announcement: The Kooks, The Vaccines, Slaves, Don Broco, Pendulum, Billy Talent, Travis Scott, Fickle Friends, The Front Bottoms

2 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

1st Announcement: Kendrick Lamar, The Wombats, Sum 41, Kings Of Leon, Fall Out Boy, Panic! At The Disco, Nothing But Thieves, Wolf Alice, Skepta, Courteeners, BROCKHAMPTON, Creeper, Dua Lipa, Post Malone, Beartooth, Pale Waves, Papa Roach

2nd Announcement: The Kooks, The Vaccines, Slaves, Don Broco, Pendulum, Billy Talent, Travis Scott, Fickle Friends, The Front Bottoms

So The Kooks and The Vaccines doing the best out of the most recent announcement. Can't say that this festival doesn't like indie stuff.

6 minutes ago, MIchael_scarn said:

Anyone else gutted they've seemingly clashed Pale Waves and Magic Gang with BROCKHAMPTON and Kendrick? At least one of them should've been early NME/Main stage.

The first clash may not happen, still loads of bands to be added and they may end up moving down. 

I’m not sure a huge amount of people will be overly fussed about Kendrick clashing with The Magic Gang. The vast majority will see Kendrick as he’ll be one of the biggest (if not the biggest) draws of the festival. If you’re not a fan then TMG are a decent guitary alternative 

1 minute ago, rfc_478 said:

I’m not sure a huge amount of people will be overly fussed about Kendrick clashing with The Magic Gang. The vast majority will see Kendrick as he’ll be one of the biggest (if not the biggest) draws of the festival. If you’re not a fan then TMG are a decent guitary alternative 

Personally, I'm bothered mainly by the fact that it potentially has taken 2 bands that I wanted to see and put them up against the only 2 other acts i'd see on that day and it could have been avoided. Can't have it perfect so i'm not going to be too upset about it, just hope they add more to that day because it's looking very weak despite having the best headliner.

4 minutes ago, MIchael_scarn said:

Personally, I'm bothered mainly by the fact that it potentially has taken 2 bands that I wanted to see and put them up against the only 2 other acts i'd see on that day and it could have been avoided. Can't have it perfect so i'm not going to be too upset about it, just hope they add more to that day because it's looking very weak despite having the best headliner.

Unfortunately there always seem to be these bastard clashes every year. The worst one for me was in 2013 when Gaslight Anthem clashed with Tribes. Went to see TGA as I thought I’d have many more chances to see Tribes, then they went and split up later that year! 

55 minutes ago, MIchael_scarn said:

Anyone else gutted they've seemingly clashed Pale Waves and Magic Gang with BROCKHAMPTON and Kendrick? At least one of them should've been early NME/Main stage.

I'm gutted about magic gang clashing, thought they'd get an early main stage spot. Not too bothered as I'll see them for the 6th time next month 

Edit: Sorry, only the 5th

Edited by Lukie74

1 minute ago, Lukie74 said:

I'm gutted about magic gang clashing, thought they'd get an early main stage spot. Not too bothered as I'll see them for the 6th time next month 

Slightly contradictory post this! I’m seeing them in London next month so not overly worried if they’ll clash, although it would be nice to see them in my home town (missed them last year due to an irritating clash with The Amazons) 

Seen Kate Nash 3 times and despite her whole grrrl-gang persona she puts out to the masses she actually is really fun to watch. Happy with that. I'll be one of the few there instead of Kendrick. Disregarding clashes the lineup looks loads more tempting.  For me -

Sigrid, Kate Nash, Papa Roach, Sum 41, Fickle Friends, Pale Waves, The Front Bottoms, Tom Grennan, The Magic Gang, Beartooth, Billy Talent, Milk Teeth, Hinds, The Glorious Sons, UnderOath, KOL, NBT, Wolf Alice, Wombats, Kooks, Vaccines, and Creeper. Not bad at all looking now tbh.

16 hours ago, she bangs the drums said:

Many people called it on here that the powers that be have chosen bands based on Spotify YouTube listens etc. 

I mean who gives a fuck who is in the top 50 anymore? How many people who listen to popular shit would be willing to sit in a muddy field for 4 days? 

I can see why they are trying to tap in to the Wireless market but same again, isn't this just a one day thing rather than camping? 

The line up got better yesterday but Im not a fan of the rap/hip hop/grime acts that are playing and even the rock bands/indie bands are not ones I would pay or want to see Courteeners/Wombats/Kooks/Don Broco/Deaf Havana/Vaccines etc. 

As for ticket sales doing well, I don't actually know anyone who has bought a ticket so far from many many regulars, with people looking abroad. 

I think I will wait until Glastonbury next year. 

Im into rock music and not a fan of the “popular shit” you’re referring to either. But as a 17 year old, the majority of people I know that are into that stuff, are more up for camping in a muddy field than I am as long as there’s alcohol involved.. I really don’t think the type of music someone listens to determines whether they’re gonna want to camp at a festival for the weekend. Reading’s target market is young now and reading for most people this age is just a place to go and get fucked after exam results, rather than to go and actually take an interest in the music unfortunately (at least from where I’m from anyway)

Edited by somethingpersonal

Hi guys, crowd-sourcing question. Any interesting new names on the line-up? I go every year and most exciting for me are the new discoveries on the small stages. However, it's getting harder to find out the ones worth watching with NME debacle and lack of other sources covering new interesting/alternative music. Any recommendations this year (bar Dance stage, not my cup of tea ;-)?

Thanks, appreciated!

14 minutes ago, Ferda said:

Hi guys, crowd-sourcing question. Any interesting new names on the line-up? I go every year and most exciting for me are the new discoveries on the small stages. However, it's getting harder to find out the ones worth watching with NME debacle and lack of other sources covering new interesting/alternative music. Any recommendations this year (bar Dance stage, not my cup of tea ;-)?

Thanks, appreciated!

HMLTD, Shame, SWMRS and BROCKHAMPTON are all worth checking out imo! also check out the 2018 recommendations thread for more stuff

8 hours ago, somethingpersonal said:

Im into rock music and not a fan of the “popular shit” you’re referring to either. But as a 17 year old, the majority of people I know that are into that stuff, are more up for camping in a muddy field than I am as long as there’s alcohol involved.. I really don’t think the type of music someone listens to determines whether they’re gonna want to camp at a festival for the weekend. Reading’s target market is young now and reading for most people this age is just a place to go and get fucked after exam results, rather than to go and actually take an interest in the music unfortunately (at least from where I’m from anyway)

And you are correct, it was like that a lot when I went. A majority only need to see 2 or 3 acts they like on the weekend and that's it sorted for them. It's a pissup in a field with a couple of bands to watch. I went when I was 18 onwards and the music has just changed now to what bands are around etc when the now turning 17/18s etc are around, obviously that doesn't mean that people that age won't line-up older stuff as a load of people will like stuff from around other periods....they still listened in school etc from 12/13 onwards especially. Ow withhold technology has moved. I can see still view a line-up as bad etc etc but I also acknowledge that the festival does not cater itself to me, obviously as said there will be some acts pop up and there has been a couple of days both of this fest and other fests where I wish I'd paid and gone but Reading being around a 3hr drive from me due to where I have to cut down....very close if not the M25 and Leeds being 2.5 hours etc it's a long trek for a day's worth where you can't have a drink.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ferda said:

Thanks, appreciated!

Shame, The Regrettes, SWMRS, Creeper, BROCKHAMPTON, Dream Wife, I the Mighty. These are some of my favourite acts on the lineup and are the main reason that I'm actually happy with the lineup now, I'd recommend checking out any of these you haven't heard of.

3 hours ago, UndergroundSound said:

Shame, The Regrettes, SWMRS, Creeper, BROCKHAMPTON, Dream Wife, I the Mighty. These are some of my favourite acts on the lineup and are the main reason that I'm actually happy with the lineup now, I'd recommend checking out any of these you haven't heard of.

Shame are definitely worth checking out live