Lineup 2018

Kings of Leon is a pretty underrated booking, I reckon. I know they're not relevant and shit but neither are half the major rock bands thrown about to save the festival from the jaws of death. They're still a considerable seller and a comfortable headliner at some of the biggest festivals in the world, probably always will be and they could slip into a Glastonbury headline slot again at some point down the road.

It's just that the company they're in refocuses things - if it was, say, Kendrick, KOL and a huge rock band like GNR or Foos then people looking at stature of the artists would be like "yep, three big bookings" like the consensus last year, but of course next to Fall Out Boy (and Panic if we care to count them) it goes "these are some fucking irrelevant bands they got".

TL;DR - it's Fall Out Boy's fault that everyone hates it and fuck rock n roll by the way.

22 minutes ago, TheWaters said:

It's looking to me like Creeper and Fickle Friends are possibly going to clash and I really don't know what to do.

Fickle Friends will play the NME Stage again next year so don't worry about it.

edit: or the Radio 1 Stage even. So I guess the band did change stages huh.

Edited by dentalplan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Kings of Leon is a pretty underrated booking, I reckon. I know they're not relevant and shit but neither are half the major rock bands thrown about to save the festival from the jaws of death. They're still a considerable seller and a comfortable headliner at some of the biggest festivals in the world, probably always will be and they could slip into a Glastonbury headline slot again at some point down the road.

It's just that the company they're in refocuses things - if it was, say, Kendrick, KOL and a huge rock band like GNR or Foos then people looking at stature of the artists would be like "yep, three big bookings" like the consensus last year, but of course next to Fall Out Boy (and Panic if we care to count them) it goes "these are some fucking irrelevant bands they got".

TL;DR - it's Fall Out Boy's fault that everyone hates it and fuck rock n roll by the way.

Or it could just be because Kings of Leon are shit :ph34r:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, alexlloyd said:

I don't know how Melvin could say that about rebooking acts with a straight face. Out of interest I looked at when the top line last appeared... I didn't actually realise it was this bad :lol:

IMG_3475.PNG

Travis pulled out before the fest so never actually played but still yeah that's kinda shocking.

8 minutes ago, alexlloyd said:

I don't know how Melvin could say that about rebooking acts with a straight face. Out of interest I looked at when the top line last appeared... I didn't actually realise it was this bad :lol:

This is quite common at festivals though, is it not? Like, festivals book bands that appeal to their audiences and if they get bigger then they book them again. I was doing some predictions for Glastonbury the other day on my phone and I was put out by how many of the acts I'd chosen for non-headline slots had already performed this decade.

I've only just realised however what a fucking nightmare it is that Fall Out Boy, The Kooks and The Wombats have all fallen upwards into slots in the top 4 of the main stage oh Jesus.

Edited by dentalplan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TheWaters said:

Travis pulled out before the fest so never actually played but still yeah that's kinda shocking.

Ahh fair enough, just looked at the posters... almost missed him with how low he was! 

I noticed Travis is the same font size as Fall Out Boy, are people thinking they'll be one to go alongside KoL? I suppose if Melvin said Courteeners need to play a high slot they might sub given they last played third down.

4 minutes ago, alexlloyd said:

Ahh fair enough, just looked at the posters... almost missed him with how low he was! 

I noticed Travis is the same font size as Fall Out Boy, are people thinking they'll be one to go alongside KoL? I suppose if Melvin said Courteeners need to play a high slot they might sub given they last played third down.

Yeah I think someone mentioned it's probably more likely that Travis' management wanted a bigger font size rather than co-headlining as nothing was said in the press release and it was said after the first announcement that the "quartet of headliners is complete". So yeah, I'd expect him and Courteeners to both be subs.

Edited by TheWaters

19 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

This is quite common at festivals though, is it not? Like, festivals book bands that appeal to their audiences and if they get bigger then they book them again. I was doing some predictions for Glastonbury the other day on my phone and I was put out by how many of the acts I'd chosen for non-headline slots had already performed this decade.

I've only just realised however what a fucking nightmare it is that Fall Out Boy, The Kooks and The Wombats have all fallen upwards into slots in the top 4 of the main stage oh Jesus.

My point was more him saying "you cant keep drumming up the same acts and expect people to come and see them" yet 6/9 of the top line appeared in 2016 or 2015,  I've no problem with people like Kendrick or Travis getting deservedly higher slots, but that's as hypocritical a statement as it gets. 

I agree I think the worst for me is FOB coming back after only a year off, and now suddenly being an outright headliner? I've no idea how The Kooks have pulled this recent rise off, I had to triple take when I saw theyd announced an arena tour last year.

Edited by alexlloyd

6 minutes ago, alexlloyd said:

My point was more him saying "you cant keep drumming up the same acts and expect people to come and see them" yet 6/9 of the top line appeared in 2016 or 2015,  I've no problem with people like Kendrick or Travis getting deservedly higher slots, but that's as contradictory a statement as it gets. 

I agree I think the worst for me is FOB coming back after only a year off, and now suddenly being an outright headliner? I've no idea how The Kooks have pulled this recent rise off, I had to triple take when I saw theyd announced an arena tour last year.

Yea but I took what he said about "drumming up the same acts" as meaning you can't keep having indie and rock bands regardless of the shifting youth preference in music. He was answering a question about that after all. :P Obviously it does seem rather contradictory but it's agreeable in context.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

KOL were terrible at Werchter last year

28 minutes ago, h1210 said:

KOL were terrible at Werchter last year

I've seen this a few times and I have to disagree. They played a lot of the new album and I guess it depends on how you feel about that as to how much you enjoyed it but seeing them for the first time I thought they were good. Their biggest problem was that they were overshadowed by System of a Down, Royal Blood, Foo Fighters and others who were brilliant across the weekend.

It seems to me that after seeing the success of Wireless lineup, FR may have pushed more rap artists etc through the first announcement to try and immediately attract that demographic who may not normally pay too much attention to a r&l lineup, then with the second lineup they've filled in a lot of the gaps with the usual rock and indie that was lacking to appeal to the usual demographic who would always be interested in the r&l lineup. 

Either way for me this announcement has definitely redeemed the lineup for me as the acts as a whole are great now and I can even plan headline slots that I will actually enjoy -  FRIDAY parts of FOB, wolf alice and annie mac,  SATURDAY Kendrick ,  SUNDAY parts of KOL and Skepta. 

Edited by UndergroundSound

7 hours ago, UndergroundSound said:

It seems to me that after seeing the success of Wireless lineup, FR may have pushed more rap artists etc through the first announcement to try and immediately attract that demographic who may not normally pay too much attention to a r&l lineup, then with the second lineup they've filled in a lot of the gaps with the usual rock and indie that was lacking to appeal to the usual demographic who would always be interested in the r&l lineup. 

Either way for me this announcement has definitely redeemed the lineup for me as the acts as a whole are great now and I can even plan headline slots that I will actually enjoy -  FRIDAY parts of FOB, wolf alice and annie mac,  SATURDAY Kendrick ,  SUNDAY parts of KOL and Skepta. 

100%, you can't blame them for looking at Wireless sales and following on tbh. If they literally just dismissed that fornthe majority and booked rock and guitar bands only....some of the bigger one's not being available/had own plans etc you'd be making it that week that you might not have a fest....or Leeds would go. Eminem was brought back a few years back now after like 11 because they saw what his return sold and it made sense.....just like Kendrick subbing a couple of years ago....rap and hip-hop is huge. You are seeing more and more of the smaller rock acts that Download books at Reading now including one's like Papa Roach who haven't been at the fest for years, I don't remember Hollywood Undead even playing. If they didn't book The Kooks for e.g. who do they booked instead bar another act from just two years ago?

21 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I think getting crossover acts like $uicideboy$ and scarlxrd playing The Pit / Lock Up is a smart decision as it’ll at least get people in the tent instead of booking Kvelertak and Giraffe Tongue Orchestra to play in front of seven people. 

I just listened to suicide boy?, why the hell do they have grime/hip whatever it is playing a stage for rock/metal bands?....that's a defeat in the stage for a start. Tbf though even Papa Roach's most recent output is edging more mainstream. If you want to stay in there so to speak and get that rise if you are newer and up and coming it's what you have to do even if it only works once for that push. A fewover the years have done that and for some it goes horribly wrong.

4 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I just listened to suicide boy?, why the hell do they have grime/hip whatever it is playing a stage for rock/metal bands?....that's a defeat in the stage for a start. Tbf though even Papa Roach's most recent output is edging more mainstream. If you want to stay in there so to speak and get that rise if you are newer and up and coming it's what you have to do even if it only works once for that push. A fewover the years have done that and for some it goes horribly wrong.

Have you seen the kinds of crowds $uicidboy$ attract and how heavy their sound is live with the live band they have sometimes? That’s why they’re playing that stage. I’ll give it to R&L, getting Papa Roach to headline that tent is a great booking considering how high they would play at DL now. 

Many people called it on here that the powers that be have chosen bands based on Spotify YouTube listens etc. 

I mean who gives a fuck who is in the top 50 anymore? How many people who listen to popular shit would be willing to sit in a muddy field for 4 days? 

I can see why they are trying to tap in to the Wireless market but same again, isn't this just a one day thing rather than camping? 

The line up got better yesterday but Im not a fan of the rap/hip hop/grime acts that are playing and even the rock bands/indie bands are not ones I would pay or want to see Courteeners/Wombats/Kooks/Don Broco/Deaf Havana/Vaccines etc. 

As for ticket sales doing well, I don't actually know anyone who has bought a ticket so far from many many regulars, with people looking abroad. 

I think I will wait until Glastonbury next year.