Lineup 2018

Just now, foolee said:

Because he was on the Brit’s tonight? Don’t agree with Panic or Fall Out Boy either but seeing Kendrick perform terribly tonight with his mate smashing up an expensive car really made me think what an artist. 

Maybe try some of the songs I linked or try listening to To Pimp a Butterfly. Tonight's performance was shit but you can't be on form all the time.

2 minutes ago, foolee said:

We can agree to disagree. You get him and I don’t. Don’t get the popularity of grime and why the likes of Dua Lipa, Kendrick Lamar and Stormzy are the big popular hitters in today’s market. I’ll stick with bands like Nine Inch Nails, Pearl Jam and Jack White. That’s talent and small bands like Creeper get barely any recognition, it just disappoints me. 

That's clearly just your personal preferences clouding your view of what 'talent' is though.

1 minute ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

That's clearly just your personal preferences clouding your view of what 'talent' is though.

Could I not say the same for everyone on Kendricks defense? Everyone is quick so slag off bands like Foo Fighters and Green Day but it’d be interesting to see whether Kendrick will still be headlining festivals in 20 years time.

Just now, Gucci Piggy said:

Yes. As shite as he is now, he's still easily bigger than Kanye and Jay-Z. Probably on a similar level to Drake, but if they can get Eminem then them getting Drake wouldn't surprise me at all.

If that is the case then it amazes me that they've gone for em twice in fairly short succession

Just now, foolee said:

Could I not say the same for everyone on Kendricks defense? Everyone is quick so slag off bands like Foo Fighters and Green Day but it’d be interesting to see whether Kendrick will still be headlining festivals in 20 years time.

Well he'd be 50, just over Jay-Z's current age and he's doing it so I don't see why Kendrick couldn't. He's hardly a flash in the pan.

9 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Watch the third vid that Alex DeLarge posted above. Most people have said Kendrick's performance tonight wasn't great so don't judge him on that.

9 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Maybe try some of the songs I linked or try listening to To Pimp a Butterfly. Tonight's performance was shit but you can't be on form all the time.

The thing is if you aren’t a fan and then have a performance like that it makes you look like a knob. Like I said I’ve tried him out a few times now after all the praise and hype but I couldn’t get into him, I’ll have a listen to those that have been posted here in the morning and see if they can sway me but performances like that really doesn’t help his cause. 

7 minutes ago, foolee said:

I've not slagged off Foos or Green Day, and I wasn't having a go at the acts you listed as talented either.

It's fair that you don't 'get' Dua Lipa, Kendrick, Stormzy etc., but to suggest that they're not talented is just ignorant.

And of course it's impossible to predict the future, but I'd say Kendrick has made a big enough impact to secure him still being relevant in 20 years, even if his releases lower in quality in that time.

Edited by SomeoneListeningIn

4 minutes ago, foolee said:

Besides the point but that also made Alex Turner look like the knob he is.

He’s allowed to destroy stuff needlessly and still headline Reading and Leeds is the point.

5 minutes ago, foolee said:

That’s more of a testament to the unwavering devotion of rock crowds, going along to belt out the same songs every two years. Not that that is a terrible thing as a fan but it doesn’t exactly prove that they’ve done anything to stay there when nobody wants to hear owt off most of the past few albums.

• Downvote 1

Kendrick suits R&L's audience to an absolute tee. He's far more relevant to the 16-21 demographic than someone like Green Day (who haven't cracked the top 40 in almost a decade) can hope to be again. He also has crossover appeal, it's anecdotal but I've never seen a song from outside the genre so well received at indie nights as Humble. Couple that with his acclaim as a live performer (even if he had a blip tonight) and he's tailor made for the festival.  

Hip-hop/grime etc. is the music of the youth today and R&L book what's popular. Guitar music has been out of step since streaming took hold. 

Edited by Takyon

6 hours ago, Takyon said:

Kendrick suits R&L's audience to an absolute tee. He's far more relevant to the 16-21 demographic than someone like Green Day (who haven't cracked the top 40 in almost a decade) can hope to be again. He also has crossover appeal, it's anecdotal but I've never seen a song from outside the genre so well received at indie nights as Humble. Couple that with his acclaim as a live performer (even if he had a blip tonight) and he's tailor made for the festival.  

Hip-hop/grime etc. is the music of the youth today and R&L book what's popular. Guitar music has been out of step since streaming took hold. 

Green Day's latest album Revolution Radio made number 1 spot. 

http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/green-day-hit-number-1-with-revolution-radio-to-have-a-chart-topping-album-at-this-stage-of-our-career-is-especially-gratifying__16647/

Im not a fan of Kendrick and i, I am a huge fan ofrock music. But i am far more disappointed at the headliners been Fob and P!ATD. Kendrick might not be my cup of tea but i can recognize his talent and why people would enjoy his music. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Takyon said:

As said, RevRad went number 1 and the Uno Dos Tres trilogy all made it too (2nd, 10th and 31st respectively)

Crazy that after all this time people are still suggesting that hip hop isn't music, because they're not playing an instrument. I went to see Kendrick a few weeks ago in Birmingham and he actually plays with a live band anyway. As did Eminem last year. Granted last night's performance wasn't great, but his GRAMMYs performances say otherwise and both in Birmingham and Leeds 2015 he was one of the best performers I've seen.

I've seen The Stone Roses, Arctic Monkeys, Metallica, Gorillaz, Foo Fighters, Kasabian, etc. and he's right up there with them.

I think it's a shame people can't appreciate other genres or at least let other people enjoy them if it's not to your taste. In my opinion "trap", which is a sub genre of hip hop, is more of a gimmick than anything, but I understand why it's popular. I do think the next announcement needs a lot of bands to balance things though.

People ought to explore hip hop instead of just dissing it based on a sub genre that's become popular due to an age of click and listen. Take your time to listen to the likes of Nas, Krs-One, Mos Def, De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, Gang Starr, Wu-Tang Clan, Rakim, The Jungle Brothers, Tupac, RUN DMC, Slick Rick, Biggie, etc etc and come back to tell me none of these artists show creativity or talent.

1 minute ago, jamieaslee said:

Crazy that after all this time people are still suggesting that hip hop isn't music, because they're not playing an instrument. I went to see Kendrick a few weeks ago in Birmingham and he actually plays with a live band anyway. As did Eminem last year. Granted last night's performance wasn't great, but his GRAMMYs performances say otherwise and both in Birmingham and Leeds 2015 he was one of the best performers I've seen.

I've seen The Stone Roses, Arctic Monkeys, Metallica, Gorillaz, Foo Fighters, Kasabian, etc. and he's right up there with them.

I think it's a shame people can't appreciate other genres or at least let other people enjoy them if it's not to your taste. In my opinion "trap", which is a sub genre of hip hop, is more of a gimmick than anything, but I understand why it's popular. I do think the next announcement needs a lot of bands to balance things though.

People ought to explore hip hop instead of just dissing it based on a sub genre that's become popular due to an age of click and listen. Take your time to listen to the likes of Nas, Krs-One, Mos Def, De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, Gang Starr, Wu-Tang Clan, Rakim, The Jungle Brothers, Tupac, RUN DMC, Slick Rick, Biggie, etc etc and come back to tell me none of these artists show creativity or talent.

On the other side of that, there's bands within the 'rock' genre who are embracing the diversity of the music industry 

I think this backs up what you're saying

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-43126988

This might be the first time in years that there isn't really any festival line up jumping out to me and making me want to go. Leeds Festival lineup is the closest to an alright lineup for me, a fair few acts that I want to see that I haven't seen before, but certainly not enough yet to warrant spending 240 pounds or however much it is now. 

Seen Fall Out Boy 2013 and 2016 at Leeds Festival, and while both times they put on a great show, they were obviously overshadowed by Biffy Clyro both times, and this new album isn't a patch on some of their other stuff. Panic! At the Disco are okay live, saw them in 2016 at Slam Dunk and they played all of the hits and I don't really have much interest in seeing them again, especially as they've had no new music out since then... Kings of Leon, well, I've never been a fan, so I'll just have to hope they clash with someone else that I prefer. Kendrick Lamar is a big deal for me, one of the acts that I've been waiting to see for a few years now.

Never understood the hype of Post Malone, I find him really dull and doesn't seem to be that amazing live. Subbing off of the back of one mediocre album is a really odd choice. Courteeners, while one of my favourite bands haven't released anything new since they last played, although they are currently reworking and playing their first album, could be likely they'll just play that? 

Other than that, I'd be excited to see Skepta, BBK were one of the best acts that I saw 2016 and I'm sure he'd bring plenty of people with him to perform, if not the whole of BBK. Nothing But Thieves are always a good band to see, and I'm interested in seeing Wolf Alice as I do like their new album. 

Hoping the second announcement gets some more indie and a few more rock acts to go and see, as I'd be struggling to fill up each day there, even if I quite like some of the rap/grime/hip-hop acts that are already announced. Anyone added like Slaves, Frank Carter and Frank Turner, Don Broco, Vaccines, would certainly push me to buy a ticket. 

3 minutes ago, AndrewSmith said:

On the other side of that, there's bands within the 'rock' genre who are embracing the diversity of the music industry 

I think this backs up what you're saying

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-43126988

Ironically, I'm not a huge fan of Muse (bar a few tunes). I actually went to see Neck Deep headline the pit last year, who market themselves as "Generic Pop Punk" so that kind of goes against everything I've been saying ha.

I do appreciate what Muse are saying in that article though, hopefully it will make for more variety. It would be a massive shame to be rid of guitar bands though, I can't really think of many huge guitar bands of late.

Personally, I think RnL have missed a trick even with the hip hop artists they've booked (except Kendrick and BROCKHAMPTON), when you consider LoveBox have managed to book Anderson .Paak, Childish Gambino, SZA, etc. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, TheDHolford said:

Never understood the hype of Post Malone, I find him really dull and doesn't seem to be that amazing live. Subbing off of the back of one mediocre album is a really odd choice.

I personally really liked Post Malone's debut album and rate him highly. He also has a new album on the way i believe so he definitely will have enough popular songs to perform for at least an hour. However I do agree a sub spot is too high but lets hope that someone else comes in to slot in between post and FOB.