Lineup 2018

Really don’t get the Kendrick Lamar hype, tried and tried and saw him perform at the brits tonight. He is absolutely shocking and everything that is wrong with popular music, don’t get it I’m afraid. There are so many better acts and bands that would be much more deserving of a headlining slot.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, foolee said:

Really don’t get the Kendrick Lamar hype, tried and tried and saw him perform at the brits tonight. He is absolutely shocking and everything that is wrong with popular music, don’t get it I’m afraid. There are so many better acts and bands that would be much more deserving of a headlining slot.

Who else would you suppose from a similar genre?

1 minute ago, Lukie74 said:

Who else would you suppose from a similar genre?

Why can’t that genre stay at Wireless. Surely would make more sense to have Foos, AM, Green Day or Arcade Fire headline when none of those bands have got any summer festivals planned imo.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, foolee said:

Why can’t that genre stay at Wireless. Surely would make more sense to have Foos, AM, Green Day or Arcade Fire headline when none of those bands have got any summer festivals planned imo.

So your issue is more with the genre rather than him? 

3 minutes ago, TheWaters said:

Tbf I genuinely couldn't name anyone in the same genre that are big enough to headline R&L. J.Cole is still a bit off surely? Travis Scott and Chance The Rapper could probably sub or 3rd down.

Only reason I asked cos I suspected he wasn't a fan of any hip hop. As an actual answer maybe Drake and Kanye are the only ones that come to mind. J Cole don't think would fit somehow and chance/gambino/ travis scott/ skepta etc are all sub level imo

10 minutes ago, foolee said:

Everything that is wrong with popular music? Honestly? To Pimp a Butterfly may as well have been a Little Mix album right

Just now, Lukie74 said:

Only reason I asked cos I suspected he wasn't a fan of any hip hop. As an actual answer maybe Drake and Kanye are the only ones that come to mind. J Cole don't think would fit somehow and chance/gambino/ travis scott/ skepta etc are all sub level imo

Not sure who else is in the genre, just know what I’ve heard from him is utter shite. I love Kanye so if you’d class that as the same genre I’d feel he’d be way more suitable but to be honest I think there’s plenty more bands out there that could be playing UK festivals but aren’t this year that would be way more suitable for R&L than both Kendrick and Kanye.

3 minutes ago, Lukie74 said:

Yeah Drake, Kanye and Jay-Z are probably the only real headliners. Those lot plus A$AP Rocky are probably sub level.

2 minutes ago, El_Mago said:

Everything that is wrong with popular music? Honestly? To Pimp a Butterfly may as well have been a Little Mix album right

Little mix is just cheesy manufactured pop and Kendrick is just an over hyped rapper, personally I just don’t get it at all. 

14 minutes ago, foolee said:

There is one rapper headlining and he happens to be one of the biggest artists in the world today, the most critically acclaimed artist and an act that is respected across all areas of music. Why aren’t you lamenting the decision to have the other three bands headlining over the ones you mentioned?

Reading hasn’t been pigeonholed to one style of music for decades so take the genre segregation bollocks elsewhere.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, El_Mago said:

Not got a problem with you not liking him but I think 'everything wrong with popular music' is a really daft statement

We can agree to disagree. You get him and I don’t. Don’t get the popularity of grime and why the likes of Dua Lipa, Kendrick Lamar and Stormzy are the big popular hitters in today’s market. I’ll stick with bands like Nine Inch Nails, Pearl Jam and Jack White. That’s talent and small bands like Creeper get barely any recognition, it just disappoints me. 

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, foolee said:

The fact that all those bands you mentioned are currently releasing worse music than Kendrick (and two of them are just naff bands) is the reason that genre shouldn't stay at Wireless and the good people of R&L can look forward to seeing the most important artist of our generation slay the main stage.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

There is one rapper headlining and he happens to be one of the biggest artists in the world today, the most critically acclaimed artist and an act that is respected across all areas of music. Why aren’t you lamenting the decision to have the other three bands headlining over the ones you mentioned?

Reading hasn’t been pigeonholed to one style of music for decades so take the genre segregation bollocks elsewhere.

Because he was on the Brit’s tonight? Don’t agree with Panic or Fall Out Boy either but seeing Kendrick perform terribly tonight with his mate smashing up an expensive car really made me think what an artist. 

Just now, foolee said:

Because he was on the Brit’s tonight? Don’t agree with Panic or Fall Out Boy either but seeing Kendrick perform terribly tonight with his mate smashing up an expensive car really made me think what an artist. 

Watch the third vid that Alex DeLarge posted above. Most people have said Kendrick's performance tonight wasn't great so don't judge him on that.