Lineup 2018

2 minutes ago, Kurt Darmanin said:

It’s a shit lineup. What do you expect? :P

I really don't know anymore. :wacko:

Incidentally, are there any other festivals that get such a backlash from their lineup announcements? It happens every year with Reading, albeit not normally this bad. 

Also, Drenge have just announced a tour in May, playing Deer Shed in July - could be a possibility for the next announcement. 

I remember Wireless got a huge backlash that year that Kygo headlined. Coachella usually gets one cos people are dying to point out how overrated it is. I think masses of people have to care in the first place which rules out most events.

Small band but I saw that Aussie surf punks Hockey Dad announced some shows today and one London show out on its own on the Wednesday before R+L, that’s completely random unless they’re playing. So I think they’ll be added, probably FR stage.

1 hour ago, Capes said:

I really don't know anymore. :wacko:

Incidentally, are there any other festivals that get such a backlash from their lineup announcements? It happens every year with Reading, albeit not normally this bad. 

Also, Drenge have just announced a tour in May, playing Deer Shed in July - could be a possibility for the next announcement. 

Download almost always gets backlash for its line ups whenever Maiden/Metallica/Slipknot don't play, and sometimes even when they do. You only have to look at the endless debates people have about if Avenged Sevenfold are big enough to headline the festival to see some of the idiocy that goes on in downloads fanbase.

51 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Small band but I saw that Aussie surf punks Hockey Dad announced some shows today and one London show out on its own on the Wednesday before R+L, that’s completely random unless they’re playing. So I think they’ll be added, probably FR stage.

Really hope so. Have really got into some Aussie bands this year including them, The Chats, DZ Deathrays and Gang of Youths. I’d be happy with any one of those tbf.

Unless you are an "A-level results white kid" (generic I know) wanting to go on a rager for a weekend then the rap/grime line up won't appeal to the London youth who I doubt will enjoy camping or can be arsed getting a train out of London to Reading. Even more so at Leeds.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 7

12 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Woah. That is dreadful. One song total off the first two albums? I don't think the UK would be treated as bad as that bc they were huge here before OBTN but still that makes it look like they don't even like the old stuff.

The counter-balance to this one would be The Killers, who with Wonderful Wonderful, have fully embraced their status as heritage act, for the most part. The odd show aside, most nights on the tour have been more heavily dominated by tracks from Hot Fuss and Sam's Town than anything else.

59 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

The counter-balance to this one would be The Killers, who with Wonderful Wonderful, have fully embraced their status as heritage act, for the most part. The odd show aside, most nights on the tour have been more heavily dominated by tracks from Hot Fuss and Sam's Town than anything else.

Yeah, I saw the killers at Bst last year and comparing that set list to the KoL one is just upsetting lol  Also I don't know if they've been mentioned but do you think Vampire Weekend could be announced? Think they'd be great at reading and I know they're heading a smaller fest in Dorset 

• Downvote 1

Difference is Hot Fuss is The Killers' most popular album and has all their biggest songs on it. KoL's more popular stuff is their more recent stuff (with Only By the Night obviously being their commercial peak), and the people who became fans in 08 will know more of that than material from the first two albums.

They're both just playing their most popular stuff.

38 minutes ago, undecided said:

Yeah, I saw the killers at Bst last year and comparing that set list to the KoL one is just upsetting lol  Also I don't know if they've been mentioned but do you think Vampire Weekend could be announced? Think they'd be great at reading and I know they're heading a smaller fest in Dorset .....

..... on a UK festival exclusive.

24 minutes ago, MIchael_scarn said:

Can't read to much into exclusives anymore but saying that this festival has no affiliation with R&L so would expect it to be set in stone.

True, and I'd be more inclined to believe EOTR when they say they've got an exclusive compared to, erm, others....!

9 hours ago, Bisque said:

Unless you are an "A-level results white kid" (generic I know) wanting to go on a rager for a weekend then the rap/grime line up won't appeal to the London youth who I doubt will enjoy camping or can be arsed getting a train out of London to Reading. Even more so at Leeds.

Why is this on -5? It's true lol. The only thing this has on Wireless is Brockhampton and Kendrick Lamar and they largely don't appeal to the same circles as most of the Wireless bill.

2 hours ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

That latest album is pretty damn strong so that's kind of a shame.

48 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Difference is Hot Fuss is The Killers' most popular album and has all their biggest songs on it. KoL's more popular stuff is their more recent stuff (with Only By the Night obviously being their commercial peak), and the people who became fans in 08 will know more of that than material from the first two albums.

They're both just playing their most popular stuff.

Eh? They headlined Glastonbury and V Fest before Only By The Night was out - they weren't an overnight success. Do you really think their entire fanbase from 2008 onwards listened to OBTN, avoided all the successful releases they had prior and lapped up all the albums since?

2 minutes ago, Fast Drones said:

Wouldn’t be at all surprised if Vampire Weekend end up doing a secret set 

I would.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Eh? They headlined Glastonbury and V Fest before Only By The Night was out - they weren't an overnight success. Do you really think their entire fanbase from 2008 onwards listened to OBTN, avoided all the successful releases they had prior and lapped up all the albums since?

Probably. Just look at the viewing numbers to the earlier bangers and then the OBTN onward and there's a huge difference. I saw them in 2010 and the majority of the crowd had never heard of The Bucket, which was probably their biggest song before OBTN.

4 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

Funny how Caleb rages at the thought of them only being popular from OBTN onward, yet they refuse to play the songs that came before them.

Probably because he knows the majority of the audience (sadly) doesn’t want to hear anything from the first three albums. 

4 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

Kings of Leon's setlist at BST was disappointing. They didn't even play Molly's Chambers ffs.

When they last played Reading, they did the likes of Molly's Chambers and Red Morning Light, but at a very slow tempo. It was awful, those songs are meant for bars not stadium shows with lights.

2 hours ago, undecided said:

Vampire Weekend could be announced? Think they'd be great at reading and I know they're heading a smaller fest in Dorset 

Yes there so good but they are a Uk exclusive but that does not mean they will not be announced as some bands do bend the rules as Foals advertised themselves as a Uk exclusive last year for Citadel whereas later in the year they also were announced for  Eden sessions so it Is possible but I still doubt they will turn up still even they are locals to it but I'm sure they will be playing at other festivals around Europe as they would not just come over for 1 festival in Europe for there comeback tour. 

Edited by bigcharlie65

13 minutes ago, bigcharlie65 said:

Yes there so good but they are a Uk exclusive but that does not mean they will not be announced as some bands do bend the rules as Foals advertised themselves as a Uk exclusive last year for Citadel whereas later in the year they also were announced for  Eden sessions so it Is possible but I still doubt they will turn up still even they are locals to it but I'm sure they will be playing at other festivals around Europe as they would not just come over for 1 festival in Europe for there comeback tour. 

This is the longest sentence I've ever seen.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 21
  • Downvote 1