Lineup 2018

16 minutes ago, undecided said:

Just a Shame that the other likes of the line up will bring in little hype beast kids who spent £230 to watch Gucci gang will more likely go and see skepta than the main stage 

Well when you book a band who hasn't been relevant for a decade or remotely good for even longer than that as your main stage headliner what can you expect? Especially when you have an act in their prime, who's part of a genre going through a massive purple patch headlining the NME Stage opposite.

I'm a bigger fan of alternative music than grime or hip-hop in general but I and pretty much everyone I go to festivals with would be at Skepta rather than KoL.

Wow just realised that as shite as this lineup is, after only knowing the headliners for the main stage and 2 of the NME days I already have a better set of headliners (Wolf Alice, Kendrick Lamar, Skepta) than I'd have been able to see at R&L since 2012 (The Cure, At the Drive-In, Justice) across all stages. Surprising.

• Downvote 1

36 minutes ago, undecided said:

Just a Shame that the other likes of the line up will bring in little hype beast kids who spent £230 to watch Gucci gang will more likely go and see skepta than the main stage 

I know this is what all the "muh Reading Rock Festival" types are saying but in reality, this isn't hitting that market well either. Quite a lot of the rappers here are at Wireless where it was cheaper and there's an all together stronger lineup for those mainly concerned with charts rap and stuff. The problem R+L is having is that it hasn't really committed well enough to any direction so I don't think any of the sweeping generalisations about the crowd makeup work.

22 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Well when you book a band who hasn't been relevant for a decade or remotely good for even longer than that as your main stage headliner what can you expect? Especially when you have an act in their prime, who's part of a genre going through a massive purple patch headlining the NME Stage opposite.

I'm a bigger fan of alternative music than grime or hip-hop in general but I and pretty much everyone I go to festivals with would be at Skepta rather than KoL.

Not meaning to hate on Skepta here but I don't think he'd be considered 'in his prime' nowadays. From what I understand, since his untouchable 2016 he's thought to have gone off the rails. There won't be any competition against him within his genre, of course, but as a top draw he's surely being overestimated.

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I know this is what all the "muh Reading Rock Festival" types are saying but in reality, this isn't hitting that market well either. Quite a lot of the rappers here are at Wireless where it was cheaper and there's an all together stronger lineup for those mainly concerned with charts rap and stuff. The problem R+L is having is that it hasn't really committed well enough to any direction so I don't think any of the sweeping generalisations about the crowd makeup work.

Not meaning to hate on Skepta here but I don't think he'd be considered 'in his prime' nowadays. From what I understand, since his untouchable 2016 he's thought to have gone off the rails. There won't be any competition against him within his genre, of course, but as a top draw he's surely being overestimated.

Stormzy has definitely usurped him as the top artist in the genre. 

29 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Haha that was in response to Andre.

Yeah but you responded like he'd just made the argument I had, when he just made a comment on my post. :P

47 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Stormzy has definitely usurped him as the top artist in the genre. 

True but that's probably because he's kinda left the genre behind.

In fact, since GSAP, most of the biggest breakout names that are lumped in with the genre like Dave and J Hus are making music that's far removed from grime as well. Didn't recognise it as a pattern until just now when trying to think of big names in grime recently. Is it dead again?

10 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah but you responded like he'd just made the argument I had, when he just made a comment on my post. :P

True but that's probably because he's kinda left the genre behind.

In fact, since GSAP, most of the biggest breakout names that are lumped in with the genre like Dave and J Hus are making music that's far removed from grime as well. Didn't recognise it as a pattern until just now when trying to think of big names in grime recently. Is it dead again?

Yeah there isn't too much happening in actual grime at all now you mention it. Everyone who's been getting big in the genre recently has very quickly gone off into something else (not sure what exactly you'd say Dave is doing but it isn't grime). No one's made it big in grime since Stormzy.

22 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Fair, I assumed he was trying to add to your point with the Stormzy thing and I was just saying that doesn't really mean anything with regards to the discussion.

If it was just a throwaway point about Stormzy now being bigger than Skepta, then yes, that is correct.

29 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

If Kings of Leon aren't still touring that shitty new album, can they put this back in the set?

Check their recent set lists :blink::sorry:

This is what I saw at Rock Werchter and it's safe to say: many of us were underwhelmed 

Screenshot_20180219-205019.png

17 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Fair, I assumed he was trying to add to your point with the Stormzy thing and I was just saying that doesn't really mean anything with regards to the discussion.

If it was just a throwaway point about Stormzy now being bigger than Skepta, then yes, that is correct.

Yeah, I didn’t mean anything else by it than Stormzy has overtaken him as the biggest. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmerz95 said:

Check their recent set lists :blink::sorry:

This is what I saw at Rock Werchter and it's safe to say: many of us were underwhelmed 

Screenshot_20180219-205019.png

Woah. That is dreadful. One song total off the first two albums? I don't think the UK would be treated as bad as that bc they were huge here before OBTN but still that makes it look like they don't even like the old stuff.

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Woah. That is dreadful. One song total off the first two albums? I don't think the UK would be treated as bad as that bc they were huge here before OBTN but still that makes it look like they don't even like the old stuff.

I'd hope so too! Was a real boring set. Kept saying to my girlfriend "Molly's Chamber will be next, they have to play it!" 

And they never did...