Lineup 2018

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They're pretty high on that poster and I think it's either that or 4th down so doesn't seem that much of a stretch. If Post is a sub now then it goes headliner-sub-NME for Friday and Sunday and, if you count Lipa as a sub after Panic, then that's where Sum 41 would fall. If the NME headliner isn't TBA then I think they're the only option on there.

Sigrid into Sum 41 what a crowd that would be lmao

6 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They're pretty high on that poster and I think it's either that or 4th down so doesn't seem that much of a stretch. If Post is a sub now then it goes headliner-sub-NME for Friday and Sunday and, if you count Lipa as a sub after Panic, then that's where Sum 41 would fall. If the NME headliner isn't TBA then I think they're the only option on there.

They’d get a rubbish crowd opposite Kendrick. They’d get a rubbish crowd anyway I reckon but opposite him, wow. I’d be more inclined to go for main stage but I guess it could be either. 

9 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Sigrid into Sum 41 what a crowd that would be lmao

Why would they share a crowd? :P If it was Sigrid vs. PATD and Kendrick vs. Sum 41 I'd expect a massive changeover.

I think Sigrid could quite easily drop down one anyway. Her subbing would start to touch on the beginning of Kendrick's set.

5 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

They’d get a rubbish crowd opposite Kendrick. They’d get a rubbish crowd anyway I reckon but opposite him, wow. I’d be more inclined to go for main stage but I guess it could be either. 

Idk maybe they're hoping Papa Roach (who would in this situation be mid-main now?) and Panic would be enough to draw a certain clientele in. I don't know, just brainstorming here. I notice ATDI weren't billed as high on last year's poster despite being fourth down so maybe it indicates something more prominent.

Edited by dentalplan

13 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Why would they share a crowd? :P If it was Sigrid vs. PATD and Kendrick vs. Sum 41 I'd expect a massive changeover.

I think Sigrid could quite easily drop down one anyway. Her subbing would start to touch on the beginning of Kendrick's set.

Idk maybe they're hoping Papa Roach (who would in this situation be mid-main now?) and Panic would be enough to draw a certain clientele in. I don't know, just brainstorming here. I notice ATDI weren't billed as high on last year's poster despite being fourth down so maybe it indicates something more prominent.

I’ve did have Papa Roach headlining The Pit but yeah, they could probably be mid main seeing how they’re a solid academy band still. 

Edited by Andre91

8 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I feel like Sigrid into Vaccines would have a lot more people staying on the same stage than Sigrid into Sum 41 (plus I dont see Vaccines playing 3rd down again and judging by that other poster they have been booked)

13 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

I feel like Sigrid into Vaccines would have a lot more people staying on the same stage than Sigrid into Sum 41 (plus I dont see Vaccines playing 3rd down again and judging by that other poster they have been booked)

They were on the poster for third down on Sunday though. And then an act third down Friday took their spot! I don't see how they'll end up on Saturday. Besides, I would wager that Sigrid and Kendrick Lamar share more fans than the former and The Vaccines. For a start they've got all the folk that want to protect their vibes...

Edited by dentalplan

23 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They were on the poster for third down on Sunday though. And then an act third down Friday took their spot! I don't see how they'll end up on Saturday. Besides, I would wager that Sigrid and Kendrick Lamar share more fans than the former and The Vaccines. For a start they've got all the folk that want to protect their vibes...

Yeah for whatever reason they got swapped (with The Wombats iirc who were booked for the Friday on that poster iirc?) I'm guessing because someone pulled out and it was just easier to shuffle around and add someone to the bottom.

And sure Sigrid fans would prefer to see Kendrick, but a Vaccines fan who has gone early to get a good spot would much rather sit through Sigrid than a Sum 41 fan.

Plus I cant see them knocking Vaccines down to 4th, wheras Sum 41 would be very comfortable for that position

Just looked back to find the poster now. I read the changes as

Move Wombats from 4th down friday to 4th down sunday

Bump J Hus up from 4th down Sunday to NME headliner

Move Vaccines from NME headliner Sunday to NME headliner Saturday

Im guessing whoever was booked for that slot (maybe CHVRCHES or whoever) pulled out last minute and J Hus made the most sense to be boosted but wanted to still be on the same day as Skepta. Ofc there could be a different reason (maybe its the only day J Hus could do or something?) but it makes the most sense to me as I cant see Vaccines slotting in anywhere else (assuming they dont wanna be 3rd main again, in which case they could do 3rd down Friday instead of Don Broco)

Edited by Mattymooz

47 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Just looked back to find the poster now. I read the changes as

Move Wombats from 4th down friday to 4th down sunday

Bump J Hus up from 4th down Sunday to NME headliner

Move Vaccines from NME headliner Sunday to NME headliner Saturday

Im guessing whoever was booked for that slot (maybe CHVRCHES or whoever) pulled out last minute and J Hus made the most sense to be boosted but wanted to still be on the same day as Skepta. Ofc there could be a different reason (maybe its the only day J Hus could do or something?) but it makes the most sense to me as I cant see Vaccines slotting in anywhere else (assuming they dont wanna be 3rd main again, in which case they could do 3rd down Friday instead of Don Broco)

We've been told just tonight that Skepta is down as headlining NME. Look at it again with that in mind. Nothing has happened on those posters to infer that anything has changed on the Saturday.

edit: also they're not booking subs with an eye on who stans want to see while they wait for the headliner.

Edited by dentalplan

All for new headliners at R+L - and two of this year's crop are first-timers so that works for me in terms of pushing fresh talent to the top. The framing is just who else could have made a R+L debut at the top of the pile. You could have had Royal Blood, Kendrick Lamar and Florence and the Machine as your three headliners; all new headliners at the festival.

(Part of me wonders about just how relevant Florence is to the current R+L demographic, to be brutally honest. She's always very much struck me as being perilously close to Radio 2-friendly for R+L. She's very much a band of my generation; and that generation is probably on the whole beyond R+L's key demographic of 16-21 now.)

1 hour ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

(Part of me wonders about just how relevant Florence is to the current R+L demographic, to be brutally honest. She's always very much struck me as being perilously close to Radio 2-friendly for R+L. She's very much a band of my generation; and that generation is probably on the whole beyond R+L's key demographic of 16-21 now.)

Yeah I've thought the same. I rightly or wrongly think of her as the same ballpark as Mumfords, and would be best sticking to IoW, TRNSMT, Glasto etc.

2 hours ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

All for new headliners at R+L - and two of this year's crop are first-timers so that works for me in terms of pushing fresh talent to the top. The framing is just who else could have made a R+L debut at the top of the pile. You could have had Royal Blood, Kendrick Lamar and Florence and the Machine as your three headliners; all new headliners at the festival.

Problem is with this line up is everything can be countered with something else - if Florence is outside the 16-21 demographic then so are Kings of Leon.

Though I'm starting to accept the Kings of Leon booking a bit more on the grounds that it will bring day trippers in who otherwise wouldn't attend. Plus once they'd decided in Kendrick they really needed two rock headliners - even though for most people they could have gone for two better options even after blowing a big amount on Kendrick. 

I know this is falling into the trap of continually going over what they should have done, we maybe need a whole new thread for that to leave this one clear for talking about what is actually happening on the line up.  Plus regular questions about whether AM are playing a secret set of course....

3 hours ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

I always thought she was too middle of the road for Reading tbh, probably explains why she's never headlined. 

9 hours ago, dentalplan said:

We've been told just tonight that Skepta is down as headlining NME. Look at it again with that in mind. Nothing has happened on those posters to infer that anything has changed on the Saturday.

edit: also they're not booking subs with an eye on who stans want to see while they wait for the headliner.

Nothing has changed other than where the fuck would Vaccines fit on that Sunday with Wombats there too. Tbh i dont really care what is going on with Sunday atm as it looks like a mess with way too many big acts there.

Looking at the other 2 days, I see it as there is 1 missing 3rd down, 1 missing NME headliner and 1 missing 4th down.

Vaccines we know have been booked, Don Boco are extremely likely to have been booked. So that just leaves arranging them and picking someone else to fit in that mash of artists (I went with Twin Atlantic as the other act as they should have an album out and havent played in a while)

21 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Nothing has changed other than where the fuck would Vaccines fit on that Sunday with Wombats there too. Tbh i dont really care what is going on with Sunday atm as it looks like a mess with way too many big acts there.

Looking at the other 2 days, I see it as there is 1 missing 3rd down, 1 missing NME headliner and 1 missing 4th down.

Vaccines we know have been booked, Don Boco are extremely likely to have been booked. So that just leaves arranging them and picking someone else to fit in that mash of artists (I went with Twin Atlantic as the other act as they should have an album out and havent played in a while)

I don’t see why this is being made difficult.

The thirds were The Wombats, Dua Lipa and The Vaccines, and now they’re TBA, Dua Lipa, The Wombats. So it’s most likely either a straight swap between the two indie bands or a replacement - they can’t have bumped up fourth in this scenario either as Post has seemingly already leapfrogged to sub. 

Edited by dentalplan

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

The thirds were The Wombats, Dua Lipa and The Vaccines, and now they’re TBA, Dua Lipa, The Wombats. So it’s most likely either a straight swap between the two indie bands or a replacement - they can’t have bumped up fourth in this scenario either as Post has seemingly already leapfrogged to sub. 

I don't know if it's just me, but what exactly have The Wombats done to make them third top in 2018? I only recall two songs of theirs from 10 years ago, but even at their 'peak' they were never third down popular. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Chinaski_ said:

I don't know if it's just me, but what exactly have The Wombats done to make them third top in 2018? I only recall two songs of theirs from 10 years ago, but even at their 'peak' they were never third down popular. 

Don’t ask me. I had this argument a couple of the times over the past few months that they wouldn’t be that high and it looks like I’m wrong. :P

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Don’t ask me. I had this argument a couple of the times over the past few months that they wouldn’t be that high and it looks like I’m wrong. :P

It's weird how the likes of them and The Kooks have had this renaissance recently. I suppose The Fratellis will be next. 

16 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Wait you think Wombats are third? So NME goes Diplo < J Hus < Skepta? Cause Diplo doing a cloaing set would mean Skepta aint even vs. a headliner

TBH I dunno whats so difficult about this either. Youre just saying you thinm Vaccines would be 3rd down main on the Friday rather than NME headliners on the Saturday which basically makes 0 difference (assuming you agree Don Broco is gonna be there and would just fill the other slot)

3 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

It's weird how the likes of them and The Kooks have had this renaissance recently. I suppose The Fratellis will be next. 

Glitterbug is a really good album tbh. Its just typical indie pop/rock but its one of the best indie pop-rock records. Plus theyre always great live imo.

New record is kinda trash tho, Glitterbug was quite cohesive whereas this one is a bit of a mismatch of songs. Would have been better just condensing it down to an EP.