Lineup 2018

Just now, Steve1000 said:

I'd have said they'd make sense subbing The Fob's but if they can't do friday I'd probably rule them out.

Well, it seems that Fall Out Boy's sub either still is Travis Scott or it was until a week ago or something, so I don't see them having been arranged but held back for that slot. It would probably have to be something else, but I think it'll turn out that gap was for a European festival.

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

They sell out huge venues in Manchester every year.

Courteeners were flavour of the month for a about a year and they’ve been trading off it ever since. 

They stink up festival every couple of years without doing anything to warrant climbing higher and higher each time. 

1 hour ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Are they actually one of the best live bands around or do they just create a good atmosphere because of the type of act they are? I've never seen them but I've seen footage of them live and it doesn't look any better than your standard indie band live.

And no I don't really agree with that. I know one J Hus song and it's better than any Courteeners song I've ever heard (and I've heard a lot of Courteeners songs, I was a fan when I was a kid), and he's an extremely popular up and coming act from a genre that's in a great place at the moment and is What R&L's demographic are into at the moment. Courteeners are booked every other year and are pretty much only getting the slots they get because of one song from over a decade ago and the fact they're big in Manchester where everyone loves every band from Manchester.

I don't think it's just Manchester they're big in. My friend's from Leeds and she says they're massive there and they always go down well at the festival so makes sense as a booking. They wouldn't keep booking them if they weren't popular.

1 hour ago, MIchael_scarn said:

Disagree. Just cos the crowds good doesn't mean the bands good live, thought they were really terrible have to be honest.

Every time I've seen them it's been a good performance. The band's always tight, Liam Fray's voice is good, and they always bring plenty of energy. Just because it's not got a mental light show doesn't mean it isn't a good performance. Tbh I prefer something like that to a crazy stage show every day of the week. But really, how much does it matter? Even if it's just the crowd that's good doesn't matter - it'll still be a class gig. Probably a lot better than an incredible performance with a shite crowd and no atmosphere. I'd probably say atmosphere is the most important thing for making a gig good.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Well, it seems that Fall Out Boy's sub either still is Travis Scott or it was until a week ago or something, so I don't see them having been arranged but held back for that slot. It would probably have to be something else, but I think it'll turn out that gap was for a European festival.

Could have them subbing and Travis third, no?

5 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Dunno what everyone else is thinking so far but I think we maybe have something like this? So we are missing a 3rd down, 2 4th downs and an NME headliner...

EDIT: I'm an idiot and forgot to add the image here you gooooo

fullprediction2018.png

I think Sum 41 will be lower, makes sense apart from that though. 

Just to inject some excitement - I make it 24 from 54 who have played before. All the rest are first timers.

AJ Tracey - 17
Beartooth - 15
Courteeners - 16,14,12,09
Creeper - 16
Fall Out Boy - 13,09,07,06
Hannah Wants - 16, 15
Hinds - 16
Hudson Taylor - 14
J Hus  - 17
Kendrick Lamar  - 15
Kings Of Leon - 09, 07, 05
Mist - 17
My Nu Leng - 16, 15, 14
Netsky b2b Jauz b2b Slushii  - 16, 14 (Netsky)
Nothing But Thieves - 16, 15
Panic! at the Disco - 15, 11, 07, 06
Papa Roach - 14, 01
Sigrid - 17
Skepta - 16, 15 (Boy Better Know)
Sum 41  - 03, 02
The Wombats - 16, 15, 08
Tom Grennan - 17
Wolf Alice  - 17, 15, 14
Wretch 32 - 13
Yungen - 16

Edited by Capes

27 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Dunno what everyone else is thinking so far but I think we maybe have something like this? So we are missing a 3rd down, 2 4th downs and an NME headliner...

EDIT: I'm an idiot and forgot to add the image here you gooooo

fullprediction2018.png

Deffo can't see Mr. Eazi playing 1Xtra, let alone headlining. Surely Dance?

3 minutes ago, TheWaters said:

Deffo can't see Mr. Eazi playing 1Xtra, let alone headlining. Surely Dance?

He's a rapper isnt he? He wasn't the kind of person I wanted to headline the 1Xtra but AJ Tracey wouldn't do it and if I put him on the NME too surely thats way too much rap at the top that day

1 minute ago, Mattymooz said:

He's a rapper isnt he? He wasn't the kind of person I wanted to headline the 1Xtra but AJ Tracey wouldn't do it and if I put him on the NME too surely thats way too much rap at the top that day

Why wouldn't AJ Tracey do it? 

Just now, Mattymooz said:

To be fair i'd never heard of him before the announcement but after checking him out all of his songs are with DJ's or bigger pop artists, it may just be me hoping he's not on the 1Xtra but he just suits the Dance tent crowd more imo.

2 minutes ago, MIchael_scarn said:

Is it just me or does having Skepta before courteeners seem unjust?

Skepta has definitely dropped off in popularity since his Wireless headline tho, his a bit poor live and there's a lot more artists in the genre now who are making better music.

3 minutes ago, MIchael_scarn said:

Is it just me or does having Skepta before courteeners seem unjust?

It's a weird one, would make more sense to switch them if he is third. Even at Leeds I reckon Skepta will pull a bigger crowd.

2 minutes ago, Aech said:

Skepta has definitely dropped off in popularity since his Wireless headline tho, his a bit poor live and there's a lot more artists in the genre now who are making better music.

Disagree, he's one of the best in the genre and he's hardly dropped off cos he's not released an album shortly. Would not surprise me if he attracted the biggest crowd after the headliners

I get the feeling that he must be an NME headliner, from that poster Brockhampton shared.

Like, it had The Wombats on Friday - seemingly third down main bc we knew where Wolf Alice were already - and The Vaccines on Sunday, but now it has been swapped over it doesn't seem likely that The Wombats would have dropped a place.

NME headliner is also unjust for him and they'd know about it by the time he played. His day at Wireless sold out ffs.

Edited by dentalplan

16 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Why wouldn't AJ Tracey do it? 

He subbed it last year iirc (or maybe 3rd down). Just would have expected him to move to the NME...

I've tried filling in all the gaps for the top 2 stages too by basically trying to mould my old prediction around it

fullprediction2018filled.png

1 hour ago, Bacuna Matata said:

Yeah it was that there has to be at least a four year gap between performances.

Why on earth would either party make an agreement for that, though? If the festival don't want them back earlier than that they won't approach them, and if the band don't want to come back earlier than that they'll just reject any advances. All it'd do is fuck one of them over if they ended up desperate and didn't have any better options (obviously this applies much more to R&L than Foos). Imagine if in 2015 they'd ended up with a set of headliners this poor and Foos were available but they couldn't book them because of this senseless agreement they'd made in 2012.

44 minutes ago, thelemon said:

I don't think it's just Manchester they're big in. My friend's from Leeds and she says they're massive there and they always go down well at the festival so makes sense as a booking. They wouldn't keep booking them if they weren't popular.

Every time I've seen them it's been a good performance. The band's always tight, Liam Fray's voice is good, and they always bring plenty of energy. Just because it's not got a mental light show doesn't mean it isn't a good performance. Tbh I prefer something like that to a crazy stage show every day of the week. But really, how much does it matter? Even if it's just the crowd that's good doesn't matter - it'll still be a class gig. Probably a lot better than an incredible performance with a shite crowd and no atmosphere. I'd probably say atmosphere is the most important thing for making a gig good.

Couldn't care less about a huge light show tbh, just want the band to actually be good. The best show I've ever seen is Nick Cave at the O2 last year and he barely had a light show, just a ridiculously impressive band and frontman managing to captivate an entire arena and make it feel like an intimate venue. Having seen footage of Courteeners live it looks like an average indie band playing average songs and a load of teenagers going mental in the crowd.

He subbed it last year iirc (or maybe 3rd down). Just would have expected him to move to the NME...

I've tried filling in all the gaps for the top 2 stages too by basically trying to mould my old prediction around it

Said this to someone else the other day but 1xtra always has several repeats from the year before (and there's been at least one case of a 1xtra headliner having played lower down on that stage the year before (I think Krept & Konan and Stormzy both did this)).

Stuff like that happens all the time on the 1xtra stage tho. Not saying he won't be on NME, but I don't think he can be discounted as a potential 1xtra headliner.

2 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Said this to someone else the other day but 1xtra always has several repeats from the year before (and there's been at least one case of a 1xtra headliner having played lower down on that stage the year before (I think Krept & Konan and Stormzy both did this)).

Maybe swap AJ Tracey and Mr Eazi then. Listenting to his stuff it doesn't really sound Dance Tent at all imo lol

EDIT: NGL, I pay very little attention to the 1xtra stage. I've only been in it once to see Vince Staples and that was it lmao

Edited by Mattymooz

1 minute ago, Mattymooz said:

You have The Magic Gang one place up from where they played last year. Would probably swap them with Pale Waves, who won't be on main stage until next year.