Lineup 2018

31 minutes ago, thelemon said:

They're class live, one of the best live bands around and they sell out huge venues every year so no reason why they shouldn't get those big slots. They've definitely put the time in and they're sound people too! Even if you don't like them, you'll surely admit it's better having them than whatever shite rap music is "flavour of the month", i.e. post Malone, lil pump, j hus etc. Courteeners are a typical R&L band at least.

So my biggest problem with the lineup is the amount of lazy, repeat bookings and the courteeners are the epitome of this. If you haven't seen them at Reading it's certainly not from lack of opportunity! They've released no new music since they last played and to the best of my knowledge have never played anything larger than an academy outside the northwest, they really don't deserve to sub when compared with some other acts that havent played for years and have recently released quality records (tame impala spring to mind). I'd be interested to see how much of that lineup have played the festival in the last 2 or 3 years, I reckon its a good chunk of it. 

8 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

The 5 year rule wasn't that acts can't return before 5 years it was that Metallica headline every 5 years.

JAN has brainwashed you all.

I am pretty sure it was both. That's why we were so shocked about Blink.

I was looking at old threads the other day and people used to be way more focused on no. 1 albums. Like a band had to have a no. 1 album to be considered to headline or something, which nowadays is an incredibly low bar.

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I am pretty sure it was both. That's why we were so shocked about Blink.

I was looking at old threads the other day and people used to be way more focused on no. 1 albums. Like a band had to have a no. 1 album to be considered to headline or something, which nowadays is an incredibly low bar.

Aye I know we didn't think acts would return before 5 years but that wasn't "the 5 year rule", was it? I'm really just on about the name with people now making posts about "the 2 year rule" n stuff.

I heard that Foo Fighters signed a four-year thing, they can only come back after 4 years. Its now been six. But I think that they should put a limit on how often a band plays. Headliners maybe every 3-4 years at least, and sub ,third and fourth every 2-3 years. That way it means that many artists get a good chance and its no just the same band over and over again (Courteneers and FOB) and then the festival can kinda appeal to every one and every genre.

1 minute ago, Bacuna Matata said:

I heard that Foo Fighters signed a four-year thing, they can only come back after 4 years. Its now been six. But I think that they should put a limit on how often a band plays. Headliners maybe every 3-4 years at least, and sub ,third and fourth every 2-3 years. That way it means that many artists get a good chance and its no just the same band over and over again (Courteneers and FOB) and then the festival can kinda appeal to every one and every genre.

Unless its a small band moving up the ranks, or a band brings out new material. It just seems that this year is a bit samey and no ambition has been shown to make it look better than previous years.

6 minutes ago, Bacuna Matata said:

Why would a band sign that?

15 minutes ago, Bacuna Matata said:

You have totally made that up, haven’t you. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Bacuna Matata said:

That's all its gonna be till the next announcement.

Considering everyone seems to have different opinions on it, it's pretty clear that nobody has a clue what they should have done to please the masses - just what they should have done to please you. It'd be more interesting to see people suggesting who can be in the next announcement and adding into the gaps rather than removing a headliner and replacing them and going "fixed it!".

1 minute ago, Bacuna Matata said:

Oh yeah it might not have been a contract just some mutual agreement or something.

What is the mutual agreement though? Because it isn't to come back every four years, clearly. Was it a promise they don't come back earlier than four years? Because festivals don't need to do that to stop bands showing up. :P

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Considering everyone seems to have different opinions on it, it's pretty clear that nobody has a clue what they should have done to please the masses - just what they should have done to please you. It'd be more interesting to see people suggesting who can be in the next announcement and adding into the gaps rather than removing a headliner and replacing them and going "fixed it!".

What is the mutual agreement though? Because it isn't to come back every four years, clearly. Was it a promise they don't come back earlier than four years? Because festivals don't need to do that to stop bands showing up. :P

Yeah it was that there has to be at least a four year gap between performances.

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

OK personally I feel that the next announcement has to include a bit more rock/punk/metal considering the amount of grime there is already. The amount of grime may be due to them adding more acts to the 1xtra stage tho. Artist wise I would say Catfish and the Bottlemen or Royal Blood as a sub on Sunday/Friday. Then some smaller bands like the Amazons, Sundara Karma, Cabbage. I don't care who just want a biggish rock act and some smaller bands who I can see when there's trash on the Main Stage.

1 hour ago, Jurgen said:

Anyone know when Rock am Ring might sell out? May as well try salvage summer.

March/April

Much better line-up. Rock im Park (sister fest) is based in Nurnberg, similar set up as Reading if you prefer city based fest. RaR is at a race track, so just a camping but with massive non-stop party ;-)

21 minutes ago, Bacuna Matata said:

OK personally I feel that the next announcement has to include a bit more rock/punk/metal considering the amount of grime there is already. The amount of grime may be due to them adding more acts to the 1xtra stage tho. Artist wise I would say Catfish and the Bottlemen or Royal Blood as a sub on Sunday/Friday. Then some smaller bands like the Amazons, Sundara Karma, Cabbage. I don't care who just want a biggish rock act and some smaller bands who I can see when there's trash on the Main Stage.

Don't think there's a hope of Royal Blood now. Maybe they could've been a sub at first but no chance they'd sub these headliners.

Edited by mttJ

11 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

Could they be holding back 30STM until their tour finishes in March? 

Fair shout. I don't know how they'd fit in at this point though.

15 minutes ago, Bacuna Matata said:

What do you mean. I read it online, on the R+L page. I'm not sure but I definitely didn't get told by anyone.

I see. It's just that it's not something that would ever need to happen, as headlining a festival is usually a mutual decision.

16 minutes ago, Bacuna Matata said:

Ah it'll definitely include more rock, punk and metal - it would be shocking if it didn't as they'd have had to repurpose the Pit and FR stages or something. Those last three artists seem somewhat possible, however I've read on here that The Amazons aren't playing (as it stands) and I guess Sundara Karma have already played three stages in the past three years so maybe they could just have a year off. Royal Blood and Catfish are unrealistic additions in my opinion.