Lineup 2018

55 minutes ago, Breakfast club said:

Not so sure why everyone is writing Royal Blood off for a sub spot? Bastille went from 3rd to 2nd and it would mean that they wouldn't have to wait a few years to bring them back.

If they were playing there was no reason not to announce them - they don't have a tour to sell and they haven't been announced for competing festivals.  People are clinging to the theory that they must be holding back some big names, but announcing someone like Royal Blood this week would have limited the damage caused by that announcement, so there's no point holding them back.

And that's without getting into the argument over whether they are bigger than two of the actual headliners, so why would they be a sub on that line-up.

I'll be glad to be proved wrong, not because I'm that bothered about seeing them, but for what it means to the booking policy of the festival.

1 hour ago, Breakfast club said:

Not so sure why everyone is writing Royal Blood off for a sub spot? Bastille went from 3rd to 2nd and it would mean that they wouldn't have to wait a few years to bring them back.

Would be great if they announced them as Fob Coheadliners but as others have said it doesn't look likely

It would also make it look a much stronger lineup imo

Edited by MattLD7

Going by last year they announced 2 surprise big names taking the sub spot and 3rd down (Liam Gallagher and Korn) iirc. So they could've held back RB if they're doing the same this year but like @WFD said they have no reason whatsoever to do this. They've surpassed sub level now but with how unpredictable FR have been recently I wouldn't have put it past them to have offered them that slot.

Edited by MIchael_scarn

Been thinking about why I’ve found this announcement so disappointing. It’s not KoL, they may be past their best but they’ve got some decent tunes and haven’t played in 9 years. It’s not Panic!, they may be billed as a headliner but they’re a glorified sub really, Kendrick’s plainly the main man the day. It’s not even the undercard, which is no worse than it was at this stage last year.

Its bloody Fall Out Boy! They are a weak headliner at best and the fact that they played 2 years ago makes their booking worse. If that lineup lost FOB and replaced them with Florence or Royal Blood (or a co-headline of both) it would look so much more acceptable, in my opinion. That’s what’s annoyed me the most, there’s two acts there that are seemingly available and have both risen up the lineup over the years. Both could have been given that leg up by RnL this year. Yet despite that opportunity we’re stuck with FOB! 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, MIchael_scarn said:

Going by last year they announced 2 surprise big names taking the sub spot and 3rd down (Liam Gallagher and Korn) iirc. So they could've held back RB if they're doing the same this year but like @WFD said they have no reason whatsoever to do this. They've surpassed sub level now but with how unpredictable FR have been recently I wouldn't have put it past them to have offered them that slot.

IIRC people were surprised that Liam was as high as sub as he's pretty much been coasting on Oasis success for however many years. I remember thinking maybe they had missed a sub on the sunday (which would have bumped Blossoms down to a more reasonable 4th down too)

Just now, Mattymooz said:

IIRC people were surprised that Liam was as high as sub as he's pretty much been coasting on Oasis success for however many years. I remember thinking maybe they had missed a sub on the sunday (which would have bumped Blossoms down to a more reasonable 4th down too)

Yeah I remember people on here were bewildered at how he got a sub spot but he went down incredibly well at both sites and he's the closest thing people are going to get to Oasis for some time so looking at it, it seemed to make sense having him in that slot.

4 minutes ago, rfc_478 said:

Its bloody Fall Out Boy! 

Think it's the same with everyone have to say. All the lineup reshuffles I've seen in an attempt to make it bearable have got rid of FoB. Let's just hope Wolf Alice are indeed the NME headliners as they're miles better and would be a very enjoyable way to end the night.

3 minutes ago, MIchael_scarn said:

Yeah I remember people on here were bewildered at how he got a sub spot but he went down incredibly well at both sites and he's the closest thing people are going to get to Oasis for some time so looking at it, it seemed to make sense having him in that slot.

It reminds me of the BMTH booking when they played sub. It made no sense when they were announced but by the time it got to the festival it was the right booking (BMTH had TTS and Liam's singles for his album were going down very well etc.). Like, Liam probably wouldnt take sub if they had offered it to him this year...

10 minutes ago, MIchael_scarn said:

Think it's the same with everyone have to say. All the lineup reshuffles I've seen in an attempt to make it bearable have got rid of FoB. Let's just hope Wolf Alice are indeed the NME headliners as they're miles better and would be a very enjoyable way to end the night.

Fair point, if Wolf Alice are headlining NME that night then at least they’re easily  avoidable! 

13 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

It reminds me of the BMTH booking when they played sub. It made no sense when they were announced but by the time it got to the festival it was the right booking (BMTH had TTS and Liam's singles for his album were going down very well etc.). Like, Liam probably wouldnt take sub if they had offered it to him this year...

Definitely, if he'd released more music at that time I don't think he'd have even taken that sub spot because of how well it was received.

Theoretically if this played out like the way it did last year with these 'surprise slots' who'd you expect/like to see?

In a realistic world I'd probably say 30 seconds to mars and the vaccines

In terms of a not to so realistic choice though I'd probably say Vampire Weekend and a Bombay Bicycle Club reunion. 

Edited by MIchael_scarn

5 minutes ago, MIchael_scarn said:

Theoretically if this played out like the way it did last year with these 'surprise slots' who'd you expect/like to see?

In terms of a not to so realistic choice though I'd probably say Vampire Weekend and a Bombay Bicycle Club reunion. 

If by suprise sots you mean the secret sets? then I would guess The 1975 are locked in.

2 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

If by suprise sots you mean the secret sets? then I would guess The 1975 are locked in.

I think he means more like Liam being announced after the main announcement last year. Not that 30STM or Vaccines would be a great surprise, it was a shock neither were announced on Tuesday 

2 minutes ago, rfc_478 said:

I think he means more like Liam being announced after the main announcement last year. Not that 30STM or Vaccines would be a great surprise, it was a shock neither were announced on Tuesday 

I dunno I wasn't expecting The Vaccines this announcement if they are playing. They'd wanna leave it as long as possible so they sell more Community and Latitude tickets

1 minute ago, Mattymooz said:

I dunno I wasn't expecting The Vaccines this announcement if they are playing. They'd wanna leave it as long as possible so they sell more Community and Latitude tickets

Yeah that’s true. I’m still expecting them to be there though, so it wouldn’t be surprising if they were announced later on 

1 hour ago, Mattymooz said:

Blossoms are amazing you can't say they don't deserve 3rd down.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

41 minutes ago, MIchael_scarn said:

Definitely, if he'd released more music at that time I don't think he'd have even taken that sub spot because of how well it was received.

FOO FIGHTERS TO PLAY A SECRET SET ANYONE????

43 minutes ago, MIchael_scarn said:

I'd say maybe Imagine Dragons and the Vaccines, both performed two years ago and both have decent albums out recently and in March. But 30 Seconds to Mars are a good shout.

Blossoms might not have been the biggest band to ever play that slot but they definitely did enough to just about deserve it. They blew up last year, everyone wanted to see Blossoms. Or at least where I am. Album went to number one so there's definitely the figures to back that up too. Yeah they probably should've been fourth as they only released one album but they were a real band of the moment and share a lot of Liam's fanbase so it made sense having them before him. Since Kasabian/Eminem/Muse was probably dead expensive and they were probably trying to save money on the undercard it was a pretty smart booking really as I don't think most of the people who go to the festival care that much about placings. They want big headliners but they see Liam's name on there and he's a world famous star and icon so they don't question him being so high up, and the people going to see him are probably going to be happy having Blossoms on before him. A cheap option but it seemed to go down well, so clever booking by FR.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, thelemon said:

Blossoms might not have been the biggest band to ever play that slot but they definitely did enough to just about deserve it. They blew up last year, everyone wanted to see Blossoms. Or at least where I am. Album went to number one so there's definitely the figures to back that up too. Yeah they probably should've been fourth as they only released one album but they were a real band of the moment and share a lot of Liam's fanbase so it made sense having them before him. Since Kasabian/Eminem/Muse was probably dead expensive and they were probably trying to save money on the undercard it was a pretty smart booking really as I don't think most of the people who go to the festival care that much about placings. They want big headliners but they see Liam's name on there and he's a world famous star and icon so they don't question him being so high up, and the people going to see him are probably going to be happy having Blossoms on before him. A cheap option but it seemed to go down well, so clever booking by FR.

I saw live in Cardiff in March and they were awesome. They do only have one album but they managed to play for an hour and a half. But their festival performance was great.

Just now, Bacuna Matata said:

I saw live in Cardiff in March and they were awesome. They do only have one album but they managed to play for an hour and a half. But their festival performance was great.

Oh yeah mate, they're brilliant. Wasn't at Leeds last year but have seen them a few times, including in the NME the year before. I love them, especially being from Stockport originally myself. In Manchester we all love them! They're always getting played in clubs and that. The album was great too, full of bangers,I remember I preordered it cos if you did then they signed it. Can't wait for the second, although a bit concerned about this "fighting" that's going on. Thought it was a wind up but heard they're interview at the NME awards and they were arguing and it sounded pretty genuine. At least if it is real it looks like they won't be breaking up, worst case scenario is Joe the drummer leaves. I don't want any of them to go but at least you can replace drummer fairly easily... Oasis had like four different ones.

4 minutes ago, thelemon said:

Oh yeah mate, they're brilliant. Wasn't at Leeds last year but have seen them a few times, including in the NME the year before. I love them, especially being from Stockport originally myself. In Manchester we all love them! They're always getting played in clubs and that. The album was great too, full of bangers,I remember I preordered it cos if you did then they signed it. Can't wait for the second, although a bit concerned about this "fighting" that's going on. Thought it was a wind up but heard they're interview at the NME awards and they were arguing and it sounded pretty genuine. At least if it is real it looks like they won't be breaking up, worst case scenario is Joe the drummer leaves. I don't want any of them to go but at least you can replace drummer fairly easily... Oasis had like four different ones.

Yeah I heard about that. I don't want Joe to leave, I met them at Reading last year and was a genuinely nice guy. I cant wait for any new material, I'm just worried that it wont be as good as the first album and they go off the radar a bit. Love to see them headline R+L in years to come coz they definitely can.