Lineup 2018

18 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

By the looks of this year's line up, neither are like BST.

My point is Summer Sessions/BST are not festivals. They're just a series of gigs that share a venue and branding. If you can't buy a single ticket to attend the whole event then it's not a festival.

3 minutes ago, danz026 said:

My point is Summer Sessions/BST are not festivals. They're just a series of gigs that share a venue and branding. If you can't buy a single ticket to attend the whole event then it's not a festival.

If BST isn’t a festival then neither is Slam Dunk. They both have multiple stages, just because it’s one day it doesn’t mean it’s not a festival. 

8 minutes ago, somethingpersonal said:

If BST isn’t a festival then neither is Slam Dunk. They both have multiple stages, just because it’s one day it doesn’t mean it’s not a festival. 

So you're saying BST is a collection of festivals? I could agree with that.

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Trnsmt is probably quite appealing to bands. It’s like a Scottish BST. Can probably get a decent pay check from it too.

bands and acts seem more interested in these sort of gigs in the UK at the moment. Festivals now seem to be the places collecting bands that cant quite pull off their own independent show

This is true.  Think the penny is dropping now with people that the Foos and Kendrick was never feasible this year and it was stupid to think otherwise. The fees are too high for the major acts in the UK, because they can play to 60,000 people at a stadium show and take a higher cut.  I'm not doing the 'festivals are doomed' thing cos they obviously aren't, but the dynamics are changing each year.

TRNSMT can pull it off in its own market where a Scottish stadium date is more of a push for most acts so they'll take a guaranteed fee at sponsored event for what becomes their own gig.

The other obvious thing that is happening is acts like Liam Gallagher, The Killers, doing a package of festival appearances and own shows, for the same promoter and R&L doesn't fit as easily into that sort of package.

2 hours ago, williamxturner said:

Anyone think Basement will be back this year? Would love to see them early on main stage.

They featured heavily in the predictions and despite the tone of the first announcement they are still likely to turn up.  Played early on (maybe even opened) NME in 2016 so can see them 7th/8th on main, or in an evening slot on the Pit/Lock Up. They are doing 2000 Trees so are around.

4 hours ago, VCK said:

In the 90s and 2000s V line ups were not too dissimilar to Reading and Leeds, just with a few more "commercial friendly" acts thrown in. They had Radiohead and Morrissey headline one year, and have also had acts like Sonic Youth, Pixies, and QOTSA play in the past. It seemed to get a lot of leftover acts from Reading and Leeds the previous year. It's only been a fairly recent thing that it's been pure mainstream pop.

It'd be great if it did come back this year, and they outdid Reading and Leeds. Would answer a lot of questions if the headliners were Foo Fighters and Arctic Monkeys too.

Foos have headlined v in the past - If it is being completely redeveloped then who knows . Would make a bit more sense to have them doing soemthing the weekend before bc their US tour resumes on 1st september and the r+l weekend would be been cutting it just a bit tight.

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

I also think bands choosing their own supports etc is a big factor.

I dunno how much say they get really. I can't imagine most of the bands (except for The Twilight Sad) for The Cure at BST have been picked by Robert Smith. The day has just been curated by someone who actually knows what they're doing. 

There does seem to be more of a focus on standalone gigs/one day festivals/smaller things are the moment though, yeah. I reckon that's probably more to do with promoters than bands though. 

Also its really good what FR did with finsbury park and announce Iiam Gallagher and qotsa headlined shows as one day festivals on the same weekend as community. To be honest, Liam, QOTSA and Two door Cinema Club headlining those 3 days is probably nearly as strong as the actual reading line-up. They have iggy pop, you me at six, vaccines, hives and probably Richard Ashcroft supporting LG across the whole weekend which is fairly decent. I'm so glad they brought that in to give something for all the rock and indie fans. Run the jewels are pretty much the only non rock and indie act.

Edited by R Shah

7 hours ago, R Shah said:

Also its really good what FR did with finsbury park and announce Iiam Gallagher and qotsa headlined shows as one day festivals on the same weekend as community. To be honest, Liam, QOTSA and Two door Cinema Club headlining those 3 days is probably nearly as strong as the actual reading line-up. They have iggy pop, you me at six, vaccines, hives and probably Richard Ashcroft supporting LG across the whole weekend which is fairly decent. I'm so glad they brought that in to give something for all the rock and indie fans. Run the jewels are pretty much the only non rock and indie act.

It's fine if you live in the south east - same with APE, who have hoovered up most of the big names in alternative music, some on UK exclusives.  But yes it's no accident that these acts are being put on in these one day events - QOTSA could easily have headlined R&L instead of Fall Out Boy and wouldn't have got the same back lash.

10 hours ago, DR OK said:

£59.50 for summer sessions... Leeds will probably be £90-100 for a day

It'll never be £90/100 a day again....they have quickly moved from £66 a day with fees back up a tenner though. If Kendrick was a headliner I'm into....that's not to say hes a bad one, there is enough that day for a day ticket.

I think the Twitter reaction may go against though, there is a difference between putting certain hiphop/rap acts as a sub and then headliner, and they have clearly booked a wireless type line-up for some what to help it. Even a friend who loves FOB....strangely from Folie or maybe later than the early stuff but that may be the age difference....he even said he'd rather them in aren't though that was never happening. I can see SW4 and Cream flying out over this out SW4 are selling at least Saturday really well. I still stand by soon enough there won't be a Leeds because people don't buy enough due to either the lineups not justifying the money or maybe the festival suffering from most bigger options they'd like choosing to tour early summer. 

7 hours ago, R Shah said:

I'd have probably bought a ticket or tried to if so thought Ashcroft would be there but usually when not announced from the start they try to sell without big support. The upside is as his set will be short there may not be as many Verve classics in there.

14 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Foals/Disclosure was not a justifiable co-headline deal. Reading got trouser massively pulled down by Glastonbury that year.

I don't think the Kendrick day will sell as well as people think it will.

Gazza shut up you freak he wasn't even saying the acts were justified (which they were), he was saying it was justifiable to call it a co-headline because Disclosure weren't just a glorified sub.

Honestly it's like you're like a 10 year old and the girl you fancy is dating Yannis with how tragic your hatred for them is.

I'd say the same about Kanye but that's just because you're racist.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, VCK said:

In the 90s and 2000s V line ups were not too dissimilar to Reading and Leeds, just with a few more "commercial friendly" acts thrown in. They had Radiohead and Morrissey headline one year, and have also had acts like Sonic Youth, Pixies, and QOTSA play in the past. It seemed to get a lot of leftover acts from Reading and Leeds the previous year. It's only been a fairly recent thing that it's been pure mainstream pop.

It'd be great if it did come back this year, and they outdid Reading and Leeds. Would answer a lot of questions if the headliners were Foo Fighters and Arctic Monkeys too.

That would be an enormous and brave shift to go from people expecting Katy Perry to the sudden change in style and booking bands again, can't see it happening. 

Sad to say but it looks like Reading is no longer relevant if they can't even compete for the likes of Foos and AM. When you look at the history and line ups this festival's had, I find it hard to believe they are happy with how it's gone. It used to arguably be one of the best festivals in the world. 

Whats going wrong then? Doesn't Reading sell out every year and Leeds close behind?

I believe this is FR trying to save a few quid on a year where there are a lot of glasto goers looking for a festival to try out.

The lineup being nearly 50% grime/rap also indicates what type of crowds we're going to get and thats been something i've been complaining about for years when the lineups were filled with less grime.. I can't imagine this year will look or feel like the usual reading/leeds we're used to.