Lineup 2018

11 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

FR don't book TRNSMT and I think they've been booking for V Fest for a long while now....

It is booked/owned by DF Concerts & Events (a subsidiary of Live Nation parent of FR) They ran V since 2016 previous to this it was Metropolis Music at Hylands & I think SJM at Stafford.

Just now, Ollie26 said:

Just wondering if you think anyone already announced (Sum 41 maybe?) would be headlining the Lock up/The pit and if not who possibly could

I imagine one of Sum 41/Papa Roach will be headlining it on the Saturday and on the Sunday I think Hollywood Undead will either headline or sub it.

I dunno what Underøath are but are they big enough to headline it? I imagine they'll be on that stage based on descriptions I've read of them.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Alternate said:

Has anyone considered that Festival Republic took over the running of V Festival from last year, they have now closed this festival down and they are trying to combine the R/L & V crowds to make 2 huge sell-out festivals? 

-Leeds never sells out

-Reading have been increasing their capacity by 5,000 every year for the past few (until it reaches 110k)

If they can manage to create an in-between lineup it'll sell the most tickets.

Considering they also own both Download & TRNSMT they can continue to book more metal/rock acts at Download & a varied lineup for TRNSMT (as essentially the BST of Scotland)

I'm not saying I like what R/L has become it's definitely not a good lineup. But it seems to me this is what is happening.

There's one big difference between TRNSMT and BST.

TRNSMT, despite the lack of camping, is an actual music festival. BST is just a set of gigs under one banner. The key difference is that you can buy one ticket for TRNSMT that gets you in for the whole event where as BST days are all individually ticketed. 

I spent almost all my time in the Festival Republic tent the day I went last year and there's going to be some gems there this year that have yet to be announced. The lineup doesn't look great right now but it will improve.

I haven't given up entirely on going for the Sunday (Reading) since I do rather like Kings of Leon, but I'm needing some seriously good announced undercard acts on the smaller stages. 

6 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

I don't think many were that unhappy with the headliners, is was more that they had spent so much on them that they had to skimp on the undercard.

People are definitely unhappy with the headliners, maybe not on this forum but on twitter. Even promoters within my local scene are like what the fuck. There’s no way after their last album that Fall Out Boy are headline material... especially when they were up against rumours like AM and Foos. Even panic! are lackluster as a co-headliner, their music is fun but bands like them and All Time Low are just on a downward spiral now.  

My first thought when i saw the announcement was "poor lineup" but then you think that you only catch like 10 acts a day anyway maximum, or 4 or 5 if you listen to a whole set.

My mainstage predictions are in order of where they will be:

Friday: 

1- Fallout Boy

2- Wolf alice

3- Post Malone

5- Nothing but Thieves

Saturday:

1- Kendrick Lamar

2- Panic at the Disco!

3- Sum 41

4- Dua Lipa

7- Pale Waves

Sunday:

1- Kings of Leon

2- Skepta

3- Courteeners

4- J Hus

5- The Wombats

1 minute ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Mate three of the four headliners, for a festival aimed at ~16-20 year olds in 2018, are Fall Out Boy, Panic! at the Disco and Kings of Leon.

Maybe there are some people in that audience who somehow still like FOB and PatD, but then 50% of the announcement was hip-hop/grime and there are like three other acts spread throughout it who'd appeal to them (over £200 to see FOB, PatD, Sum 41, Papa Roach and Hollywood Undead?).

Maybe there are some people in that audience who like KoL (although I'm pretty sure no teenager has listened to them this decade). I guess there's Courteeners and The Wombats on their day so they could happily buy a day ticket, but tbh I don't think anyone R&L is aimed at listens to KoL now.

The only people I can see being pleased with this bill on the whole are hip-hop fans, but even then there's only one headliner for them (who's sharing the fucking headline spot with Panic! at the Disco ffs) and they'd surely be much better off at Wireless or Parklife unless they specifically want to see Kendrick (granted, a lot of people will want to).

This spread of genres works when it's acts that have crossover appeal (e.g. Royal Blood/Florence/Paramore, Kendrick, Arctic Monkeys/Foos would appeal to people not purely into specific genres), but I don't think many people school leavers in 2018 are gonna be excited for FOB, PatD and KoL.

I don't know actually, I think Panic! and Fall Out Boy still carry a bit of weight in the 16-20 demographic, but that's more just going by the folk I know of that demographic and their tastes.

KoL is spot on the head; but their crossover appeal a la The Killers will mean they have enough radio-friendly numbers to appeal, I think, particularly to the slice of folk not from that demographic.

However, what you say about specific crossover is obviously right too; given what they could have got, it seems tame. If you were going to rebook one of the co-heads from 2016, it wouldn't be obviously FOB (though I feel they've got the depth of catalogue to manage easily enough).

:) 

Just now, somethingpersonal said:

People are definitely unhappy with the headliners, maybe not on this forum but on twitter. Even promoters within my local scene are like what the fuck. There’s no way after their last album that Fall Out Boy are headline material... especially when they were up against rumours like AM and Foos. Even panic! are lackluster as a co-headliner, their music is fun but bands like them and All Time Low are just on a downward spiral now.  

People on this forum are fuming with the headliner (apart from Kendrick). He was talking about last years.

1 minute ago, Chad888 said:

My first thought when i saw the announcement was "poor lineup" but then you think that you only catch like 10 acts a day anyway maximum, or 4 or 5 if you listen to a whole set.

My mainstage predictions are in order of where they will be:

Friday: 

1- Fallout Boy

2- Wolf alice

3- Post Malone

5- Nothing but Thieves

Saturday:

1- Kendrick Lamar

2- Panic at the Disco!

3- Sum 41

4- Dua Lipa

7- Pale Waves

Sunday:

1- Kings of Leon

2- Skepta

3- Courteeners

4- J Hus

5- The Wombats

Sum 41 aren't gonna be above Dua Lipa, and probably not even on the main stage either.

32 minutes ago, danz026 said:

There's one big difference between TRNSMT and BST.

TRNSMT, despite the lack of camping, is an actual music festival. BST is just a set of gigs under one banner. The key difference is that you can buy one ticket for TRNSMT that gets you in for the whole event where as BST days are all individually ticketed. 

Yeah but you don't shit into a pit at TRNSMT, therefore it is not a festival.