Lineup 2018

Few things to say after catching up on here, and can I start off by saying that Travis Scott did not cancel RnL because of the birth of his child. It's not as if in the 9 months leading up to the baby's birth the idea that RnL might clash with it never crossed his mind, and the idea he wouldn't have realised this until the day of the birth is ridiculous. I don't know the real reason but I am intrigued. 

Now I understand the line up has to reflect whats popular amongst the younger audience... but who are a majority of the other acts on that poster? I'm 17 and only Kendrick, Wolf Alice and maybe 2 or 3 other acts actually appeal to me. Its a rock festival. Why no popular indie bands? eg catfish, vaccines, peace etc... (Couldn't stand Catfish personally, you get the point im making) How come almost half of the acts we've been given so far fit into the grime/hip hop genre. This is what Wireless is for.

They could have had Paramore or Florence too, even SZA. Royal Blood must be available and would have brought this line-up up that little bit. 

Only thing I can hope for is for RnL to come out and tell us it was all a wind up and announce Foos and Paramore. One can dream 

Just now, Gucci Piggy said:

Looking at their lineup this year I don't think they can afford to hold a grudge.

"Sorry Alex Turner you messed us around last year so this year Good Charlotte are headlining instead."

Yeah they're probably too big/perfect for the R&L demographic for them to be bitter about it in reality. However if they had to pick either AM or FF in the future for example, they may be more inclined to go for the latter.

guys can I please have a moment of silence.....I bought 2 festival tickets this year before the lineup for both truck and reading........I have been left with George Ezra and Fall Out Boy. Learn from my mistakes guys. I certainly have. No matter what previous lineups are.....dont assume anything.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sequence said:

Seems too odd to me that so much of the announcement is rap artists, not even ones that are considered to be of quality (Lil Pump, Mist etc.).

Possibly this announcement could purposely have a focus on hip hop artists in an effort to win back the Parklife/Wireless crowd after releasing so late in the game. It would also explain the lack of both metal and indie in the announcement

Again though, Live Nation are behind all of these festivals, they aren't competing with each other, which makes it all the more confusing. They are duplicating a lot of acts from Parklife and, as things stand, placing them higher at R&L than at Parklife.

11 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

People calling R&L "R&Ls" is worse than the lineup.

I think it has to be that. I also think it's very likely that KoL are a replacement booking so it could have initially been lined up as something like this:

Florence and the Machine / Fall Out Boy

Kendrick Lamar / Panic! at the Disco

Arctic Monkeys / Imagine Dragons

Arctic Monkeys fall through and are replaced by KoL. Flo and Imagine Dragons either fall through or are moved over to V Fest or something. Leaves them with FOB, Kendrick/PATD, KoL. Two main stages stops being viable so PATD must be moved to the actual main stage but already have an agreement to be billed as headliners. Much easier to leave them on the same day rather than rearranging acts who have planned out touring schedules. I think they'll play before Kendrick at both sites (presumably if the two stage thing happened they'd have headlined that stage before Kendrick headlined the main main stage at both sites), but are just billed as co-headliners as that's what they'll have agreed to initially.

Obviously that's all pretty convoluted and I don't expect to have nailed the whole situation but I think something along those lines must have happened. I also think all this was definitely the reason for the late announcement rather than a new PR company.

Yeah that seems the most likely scenario. People would be a lot more accepting of Panic as a headliner if they were part of a group of six which included Arctics, Florence and Kendrick and they'd be a good option both for the festival in being a cheap option and for attendees who want something different seeing as they're pretty much straight pop.  

It certainly would have been interesting to see them do six headliners and two main stages and it would have brought them a lot of publicity in a Glastonbury year. I wonder if they'll try again if it was in the works this year or whether they'll just leave it seeing as it appears to have caused them loads of problems. 

28 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Yeah they're probably too big/perfect for the R&L demographic for them to be bitter about it in reality. However if they had to pick either AM or FF in the future for example, they may be more inclined to go for the latter.

I know what you mean. I woulda thought they'd need to be signed up already to have prevented Glasto from approaching them - or, more likely, vice versa - for next year. I think they need to be willing to bite into their budget for Arctics next year for sure.

28 minutes ago, w0lfalic321 said:

Now I understand the line up has to reflect whats popular amongst the younger audience... but who are a majority of the other acts on that poster? I'm 17 and only Kendrick, Wolf Alice and maybe 2 or 3 other acts actually appeal to me. Its a rock festival. Why no popular indie bands? eg catfish, vaccines, peace etc... (Couldn't stand Catfish personally, you get the point im making) How come almost half of the acts we've been given so far fit into the grime/hip hop genre. This is what Wireless is for.

It is the most popular genre within the target audience nowadays though so I struggle to really blame them. Especially with the competition with Parklife and potentially Rolling Loud - wouldn't be surprised if this was a preemptive strike at Rolling Loud to protect Wireless in future years.

But wrt indie bands, there are a lot that are already on other festival bills - some that Live Nation have a vested interest in - so I think the future announcements are gonna be heavy on the indie. Plus they don't really need to be big to be appealing for indie fans as even small bands can stir up devoted followings so I think it'll be fine in one or two announcements time when they have an FR stage and the body of the NME set out.

Edited by dentalplan

31 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

What confuses me is why they seemingly didn't even go for foos this year? Only 3 uk dates which sold out in seconds and they're clearly going to be taking some much needed time off in 2019.

Edited by R Shah

The best thing about this announcement has been my discovery of The Blaze. Quality. 

I'd say the only acts I'm actually looking forward to at this point are:
Nothing But Thieves

The Blaze

Bicep

Creeper

Kendrick Lamar

Brockhampton

The Magic Gang

Skepta

Ski Mask The Slump God

Tbf, counting out it's more than I thought, but still disappointed compared to other years. Optimistic for the rest of the undercard though.

EDIT: Also $uicideboy$

Edited by TheWaters

Just now, R Shah said:

What confuses me is why they seemingly didn't even go for foos this year? Only 3 uk dates which sold out in seconds and they're clearly going to be taking some much needed time off in 2019.

Probably only had the budget for one of Foos or Arctics, went with Arctics and then they decided not to do it and Foos had other plans. 

42 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

If it's true that AM dropped out late, I wonder if that jeopardises them being booked again in the next few years. I can't imagine FR would be best pleased, although as has been mentioned it's difficult to know the circumstances/how far talks got.

It's AM, if they wanna play they'll play, can't imagine FR would say no.

Edited by Bandit Tom

6 minutes ago, somethingpersonal said:

So what are everyone’s predictions for the pit/lock up stage then? Also when do people think that’ll start to be announced 

At this point I feel like predictions have lead us to ruin.

Sherlocks are going to headline the Pit and Antarctic Monkeys the Lock Up.

Edited by Bandit Tom

13 minutes ago, TheWaters said:

The best thing about this announcement has been my discovery of The Blaze. Quality. 

I'd say the only acts I'm actually looking forward to at this point are:
Nothing But Thieves

The Blaze

Bicep

Creeper

Kendrick Lamar

Brockhampton

The Magic Gang

Skepta

Ski Mask The Slump God

Tbf, counting out it's more than I thought, but still disappointed compared to other years. Optimistic for the rest of the undercard though.

get on suicideboys mate, quality 

Haven't kept up properly with some of the last pages so this may have already been discussed. Do we know if Dan's initial info of the 2 stage thing with ID, FOB, Royal Blood, Kendrick, Panic etc was the original plan, or was it misinformation. It seems to align to the actual lineup (presuming that the plans for 2 stages fell through), but then it doesn't align with festivalsaregood's info of Florence, Kendrick, AM, and he seemed pretty sure they were originally booked.

Edited by SomeoneListeningIn
  • Downvote 1

In a dream world; 

8pm 13th February, a video pops up on socials; an interview with the headliners, halfway through it starts getting distorted and crackling until the video chops up with the words  t o m o r r o w      m o r n i n g      8 a m

Twitter goes into meltdown, Dudey Rhino's head explodes, the Soviet Union rises again, order is restored, Foo's are announced, AM are announced, there's 3 main stages this year, everything is perfect it's all part of Festival Republics plan to just consume us all.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1