Lineup 2018

3 minutes ago, Chilly pepper said:

It’s possible that there might be more headliners announced as it just makes no sense to have Kendrick and PATD co headling, surely FR would want to buff up the FOB day. And like people have said FOb haven’t gained anything since 2016, tbf tho it’s FR so what could I expect but a shit line up :lol:

edit: soz didn’t see your post @alexlloyd this forum moves too fast now :lol:

It's ok :lol: It's difficult to accept those are the four, but they are, they've said as much on their website. I think people just ignored the fact two main stages would just mean no time waiting for changeovers rather than two full bills, because they wanted six headliners! 

@dentalplan was the six headliner poster yours? Spotted Leeds is now using this as a 'mock copy he was sent months ago' to demonstrate that the two main stage idea was being planned a while ago :lol:

it's such a kick in the teeth that the only interesting headliner has to share a fucking slot with Panic! at the shitting disco. Will undoubtedly be a repeat of when FOB shared a slot with Biffy but everyone knew that Biffy were the real headliners, and they didn't fucking need the shitty dancers and fire displays of FOB to show that.

9 minutes ago, alexlloyd said:

It's ok :lol: It's difficult to accept those are the four, but they are, they've said as much on their website. I think people just ignored the fact two main stages would just mean no time waiting for changeovers rather than two full bills, because they wanted six headliners! 

@dentalplan was the six headliner poster yours? Spotted Leeds is now using this as a 'mock copy he was sent months ago' to demonstrate that the two main stage idea was being planned a while ago :lol:

Yep. Really regretting now putting something on it to say that it was fake, although I know some clown would have scrubbed it off seeing as there must have been at least one person that wanted to try pass it off as real.

4 minutes ago, ket said:

it's such a kick in the teeth that the only interesting headliner has to share a fucking slot with Panic! at the shitting disco. Will undoubtedly be a repeat of when FOB shared a slot with Biffy but everyone knew that Biffy were the real headliners, and they didn't fucking need the shitty dancers and fire displays of FOB to show that.

Honestly, if Kendrick plays last at both sites - which is pretty likely imo - then it doesn't matter if he's headlining alone or coheadlining. He doesn't play longer than 90 minutes at his own tour dates so his set won't be pared down or anything.

e: plus if he plays second-last at Leeds then we might end up being able to see Chvrches in the tent. :drinks:

Edited by dentalplan

I remember a time when I thought that Reading was the centre of the festival universe. Then the lineups started to move away from my musical taste (getting older didn't help!) around 2010 so I started looking further afield and worked out that it was almost the same price to get a flight and go to a festival in Europe (my Mad Cool weekend ticket cost me £132 this year plus £60 return flights). I get why Reading and Leeds is so important to a certain demographic, especially at that time of year but my advice is have a look what else is on outside the UK. You won't regret it. 

I'd love to know what was going through FR booking agent's mind thinking that Fallout Boy and Panic At The Disco were headline material though. So completely out of touch and a sad state of affairs for what was once one of the great festivals anywhere, not just in the UK.

If Kendrick closes both sites what's the point of having Panic billed as a headliner? They're not pushing having 4 headliners the way they did in 2016 when having 5 headliners was a major part of their marketing, I didn't even realise Panic were headlining the first few times I looked at the poster. Bumping them from sub to headliner doesn't make it seem any stronger compared to FOB in 2016 who at least weren't complete head-scratchers as co-headliners albeit uninspired. 

I thought that maybe they're a leftover from the six headliners/second main stage that never happened but that conflicts with fesivalsaregood's source saying that it looked to be Kendrick/AM/Florence a few weeks ago. Baffling. 

26 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

Okay, the point is they were originally booked for R&L's and now there not. 

People calling R&L "R&Ls" is worse than the lineup.

4 minutes ago, Takyon said:

If Kendrick closes both sites what's the point of having Panic billed as a headliner? They're not pushing having 4 headliners the way they did in 2016 when having 5 headliners was a major part of their marketing, I didn't even realise Panic were headlining the first few times I looked at the poster. Bumping them from sub to headliner doesn't make it seem any stronger compared to FOB in 2016 who at least weren't complete head-scratchers as co-headliners albeit uninspired. 

I thought that maybe they're a leftover from the six headliners/second main stage that never happened but that conflicts with fesivalsaregood's source saying that it looked to be Kendrick/AM/Florence a few weeks ago. Baffling. 

I think it has to be that. I also think it's very likely that KoL are a replacement booking so it could have initially been lined up as something like this:

Florence and the Machine / Fall Out Boy

Kendrick Lamar / Panic! at the Disco

Arctic Monkeys / Imagine Dragons

Arctic Monkeys fall through and are replaced by KoL. Flo and Imagine Dragons either fall through or are moved over to V Fest or something. Leaves them with FOB, Kendrick/PATD, KoL. Two main stages stops being viable so PATD must be moved to the actual main stage but already have an agreement to be billed as headliners. Much easier to leave them on the same day rather than rearranging acts who have planned out touring schedules. I think they'll play before Kendrick at both sites (presumably if the two stage thing happened they'd have headlined that stage before Kendrick headlined the main main stage at both sites), but are just billed as co-headliners as that's what they'll have agreed to initially.

Obviously that's all pretty convoluted and I don't expect to have nailed the whole situation but I think something along those lines must have happened. I also think all this was definitely the reason for the late announcement rather than a new PR company.

38 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

Could someone tweet Daniel P Carter and ask

A. If the LU + Pit is happening

and

B. If any acts have been announced for the stage.

There definitely isn't an appropriate headliner for Friday at least. I'd do it myself if I had twitter, but alas.

Well unless The Cribs lied to me, it is happening.

3 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I think it has to be that. I also think it's very likely that KoL are a replacement booking so it could have initially been lined up as something like this:

Arctic Monkeys fall through and are replaced by KoL. Flo and Imagine Dragons either fall through or are moved over to V Fest or something. Leaves them with FOB, Kendrick/PATD, KoL. Two main stages stops being viable so PATD must be moved to the actual main stage but already have an agreement to be billed as headliners. Much easier to leave them on the same day rather than rearranging acts who have planned out touring schedules. I think they'll play before Kendrick at both sites (presumably if the two stage thing happened they'd have headlined that stage before Kendrick headlined the main main stage at both sites), but are just billed as co-headliners as that's what they'll have agreed to initially.

Obviously that's all pretty convoluted and I don't expect to have nailed the whole situation but I think something along those lines must have happened. I also think all this was definitely the reason for the late announcement rather than a new PR company.

If true, I wonder why AM dropped out. We'll probably never know.

38 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Oodles of talent, sure. But it's been 12 years since Bellers and co channeled said talent into an album worth listening to more than once, and their live shows reflect that. Worth seeing if you've never seen them before, but you aren't going to be much of a fan if you haven't by this point.

I liked the Resistance and even though the 2nd Law was their weakest album, theres still some good songs. They put on a great live show - watch their performance at Rome Olympic Stadium in 2013 

2 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

We'll never know how far talks got or anything, tbf. FR could have just had them in their initial plans and held talks with them but Arctic Monkeys had other options and decided to go with their own shows or something. By the time that happened there may not have been many suitable options remaining and they had to go desperate with KoL.

I think it's a good booking for KoL. Don't think they'd get booked for R&L again under usual circumstances so even if they're flying in for a one off (guess they'll probably do Summer Sessions, too, mind), it's basically a bonus festival for them in what would have been a Summer off. Isn't gonna affect their options for the next few years.

4 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

The rumour is that they have stadium dates, so something to do with the money they'll get from that would be the best guess imo.

9 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Yeah this is what I think but I couldn't be arsed writing it. 

2 minutes ago, VCK said:

Anyone fill me in on the hate for Dudey Rhino on here? Just seems like a guy who likes his music and hates his shit festival line ups.

Seems a nice enough bloke but when he acts like he's clued in because he reads this forum, it makes him look a bit of a melt.

edit: he can't like his music that much if he's a fucking Don Broco fan.

Edited by dentalplan

1 minute ago, VCK said:

Anyone fill me in on the hate for Dudey Rhino on here? Just seems like a guy who likes his music and hates his shit festival line ups.

Constantly claims to have insider info (so far as to claim he's talked to relatives of bands etc) which in actual fact is just what he's read on these forums and comes off as a bit of a bellend for it.

34 minutes ago, SPTFRE said:

I remember a time when I thought that Reading was the centre of the festival universe. Then the lineups started to move away from my musical taste (getting older didn't help!) around 2010 so I started looking further afield and worked out that it was almost the same price to get a flight and go to a festival in Europe (my Mad Cool weekend ticket cost me £132 this year plus £60 return flights). I get why Reading and Leeds is so important to a certain demographic, especially at that time of year but my advice is have a look what else is on outside the UK. You won't regret it. 

I'd love to know what was going through FR booking agent's mind thinking that Fallout Boy and Panic At The Disco were headline material though. So completely out of touch and a sad state of affairs for what was once one of the great festivals anywhere, not just in the UK.

Pretty much same mate. I did Leeds from 2004-12. Went to Nos in 09 and then again in 16 and 17. Mad cool for me and my friends this year, used to be all about leeds but the overseas festivals are much better value for money these days.

If it's true that AM dropped out late, I wonder if that jeopardises them being booked again in the next few years. I can't imagine FR would be best pleased, although as has been mentioned it's difficult to know the circumstances/how far talks got.

Edited by SomeoneListeningIn

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Constantly claims to have insider info (so far as to claim he's talked to relatives of bands etc) which in actual fact is just what he's read on these forums and comes off as a bit of a bellend for it.

Also his twitter picture suggests he majorly fancies himself and also he breathes really heavily with the mic turned up loud, gross.

1 minute ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

If it's true that AM dropped out late, I wonder if that jeopardises them being booked again in the next few years. I can't imagine FR would be best pleased, although as has been mentioned it's difficult to know the circumstances/how far talks got.

Looking at their lineup this year I don't think they can afford to hold a grudge.

"Sorry Alex Turner you messed us around last year so this year Good Charlotte are headlining instead."

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3