Lineup 2018

Paramore didn’t have an album out and weren’t in Europe in 2012 and they got them to come over just to sub, why the hell wouldn’t they book them to headline instead of FOB? Surely they’d accept it, they seem to like the place and have a good relationship with Melvin etc, wtf.

Honestly I think Paramore / Kendrick / KoL would look pretty acceptable as a trio when you look back at what they’ve had before.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jamieaslee said:

Kendrick being expensive makes a lot of sense, his arena tour tickets were pricey so it kind of fits. What I don't understand is why make your superstar/ most expensive booking a co-headliner? If P! play after Kendrick that will just be embarrassing. 

Maybe to counter later claims that Kendrick was the big headliner but is only going to come out and play for 90 minutes instead of the 2+ hours we'd have got from the likes of Foo or AM

Looking back, 2010's headliners were very weak. They had Guns N' Roses who weren't actually the real Guns N' Roses, a then unproven Arcade Fire who were bumped up, and then Blink 182 who never headlined even in their prime.

But at least that year had a ridiculously strong undercard. You just know that this year is going to see whoever the flavour of the month pushed up to 3rd, surrounded by a load of hype acts no one will remember in a couple of years time.

1 minute ago, MIchael_scarn said:

If the gap means nothing now i'd have been much happier if they'd just brought Biffy back.

A trio of Biffy/Kendrick/Kings Of Leon looks so much stronger than the current quartet. Far more balanced too as they'd fill the void of the traditional heavier headliner. With two new albums on the way and the caliber of their live performances they would've been a much better booking than FOB/Panic. 

47 minutes ago, WFD said:

Why hold it back though?  Agreed there will be a few added which will improve it , and this format doesn't help, remember the confusion with the Muse day last year before Liam Gallagher was added.

Just seems like there aren't many acts with a reason to be held back for the next few weeks, there aren't that many obvious suspects touring at the moment.

No point releasing all the best acts at once, then the other announcements will be weak and in turn will not result in hype/ ticket sales. 

Just now, VCK said:

Looking back, 2010's headliners were very weak. They had Guns N' Roses who weren't actually the real Guns N' Roses, a then unproven Arcade Fire who were bumped up, and then Blink 182 who never headlined even in their prime.

But at least that year had a ridiculously strong undercard. You just know that this year is going to see whoever the flavour of the month pushed up to 3rd, surrounded by a load of hype acts no one will remember in a couple of years time.

I seem to remember 2011 getting a lot of flak at the time, but when you consider it was before Muse went down the toilet AND they did Origin of Symmetry in full it looks like a monster compared to this.

Just now, VCK said:

I remember eveyrone complaining in 2010 too!

3 minutes ago, AndrewSmith said:

Maybe to counter later claims that Kendrick was the big headliner but is only going to come out and play for 90 minutes instead of the 2+ hours we'd have got from the likes of Foo or AM

That makes sense, but even so I can't see how they've booked P!ATD as a co-headliner. I understand it's just a glorified sub spot, but surely a fresh british band would be a better suit? Like Royal Blood

4 minutes ago, VCK said:

If that's the case then Festival Republic may actually be facing financial difficulty, if they can only afford one legitimately strong headliner. The same festival who once had Radiohead, Arctic Monkeys and Kings of Leon back when they had a claim to being the biggest band in the world. They've also had the likes of Green Day and Eminem both headline the same year. Hell, I'd imagine last year's headliners cost a fair bit.

Festival Republic are part of Live Nation, which is the biggest player in the music business, they aren't going bust anytime soon.  It's more a case of what they are willing to spend compared to what they think it will sell, it's not that they've just ran out of cash suddenly.  My first reaction today was that this would sell very badly, but there will be a core audience who wouldn't be put off by this line up - time will tell of course.

3 minutes ago, DR OK said:

I dont think its anything like that. They've always paid well for the right acts - don't forget inflation will mean he'd earn way more than if it was 2008. 

Just seems to be that they have identified rap as the genre they wanted to pursue so a lot of the typical crowd are very unfamiliar with most of the undercard and find it difficult to accept that the headline name is a rapper. KOL are a big band whether people recognise it or not and will sell plenty of day tickets. If you agree they have tried to go 70% rap 30% rock then the only real criticims than can be levelled is that it would have looked a lot stronger if they had paramore instead of FOB and Royal Blood instead of P!

I think another factor of that is that they've gotten a few acts that V may have taken this year.

2 minutes ago, theevilfridge said:

I seem to remember 2011 getting a lot of flak at the time, but when you consider it was before Muse went down the toilet AND they did Origin of Symmetry in full it looks like a monster compared to this.

The festival got slated for having My Chemical Romance but they were still much bigger than Fall Out Boy.

We'll never get someone like Pulp again though, which is sad.

6 minutes ago, AndrewSmith said:

Somebody said he only played for an hour fifteen on his tour so guess this makes sense. Still though... Panic! at the Disco. Just a baffling choice. They really must’ve struggled to secure their headliners this year. Wonder how many they went through before they landed on this final 4.

1 minute ago, theevilfridge said:

It was after Muse went down the shitter.

R+L 2011 looks fine on its own; in reality it was up against the biggest ever TITP and IOW lineups and very strong Glasto and V ones too.

Just now, VCK said:

"Who are Arcade Fire? The Libertines should be headlining!"

Hard to imagine the festival having NOFX, Weezer, Modest Mouse and Cypress Hill all on the Main Stage these days.

That's the sad thing. If the headliners were poor, at least they'd have a good undercard. Now the undercard is just woeful and with no imagination in the bookings anymore. Although I actually saw all 3 headliners in 2010, I usually don't do that.

6 minutes ago, Takyon said:

A trio of Biffy/Kendrick/Kings Of Leon looks so much stronger than the current quartet. Far more balanced too as they'd fill the void of the traditional heavier headliner. With two new albums on the way and the caliber of their live performances they would've been a much better booking than FOB/Panic. 

100% especially without kendrick co-headlining, think that'd actually get me to go with 2 headliners I'd actually want to see with it potentially being 0 at the moment if the they get Panic to close a site. It's not as if Biffy aren't around either, they're doing shows end of June with more to be announced I believe.

Just now, Chinaski_ said:

Surely they've realised the festival stopped selling out immediately when the standard of line ups went down? It's like they don't want to sell any tickets.

I genuinely believe that it's possible they delayed it waiting for other festivals with much stronger lineups to sell out leaving some people with only R+L as an option as they knew how poor it was going to be. 

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Somebody said he only played for an hour fifteen on his tour so guess this makes sense. Still though... Panic! at the Disco. Just a baffling choice. They really must’ve struggled to secure their headliners this year. Wonder how many they went through before they landed on this final 4.

I'm sure if they'd asked Kendrick to play for two hours he would have been able to. His show in Birmingham lasted around 1hr20m and there were so many songs from TPAB and Section 80 he could add to the set. I suppose the bigger question is why Panic!