Lineup 2018

Just now, Takyon said:

Just looked at Panic at the Disco's Spotify and their newest album has near 1 billion streams. I had no idea they were still so popular, haven't heard anything from them since their second album. 

It may be popular but is it popular enough to warrant them going from 5th down in 2015 to coheadlining this year...

1 minute ago, Takyon said:

Just looked at Panic at the Disco's Spotify and their newest album has near 1 billion streams. I had no idea they were still so popular, haven't heard anything from them since their second album. 

Even with that information it still makes you wonder how many people at FR were like 'yano what will go down well, putting panic at the disco who were 5th down in 2015 as a co-headliner with the greatest hip hop artist in the world right now'. It's beyond a joke at how disconnected it seems.

1 minute ago, Fast Drones said:

if this lineup is 03-04 Leeds then Kendrick Lamar is definitely Alan Smith

Viduka. Just about the only world class personnel.

2 minutes ago, Takyon said:

A lot of those streams would be from outside of the UK.

I mean, they are pretty popular over here, their last album reached the top five, but definitely not sub/co-headline material.

2 minutes ago, VCK said:

More like Leeds under Warnock, when we'd be fielding a midfield with the likes of Brown, Tonge and Green. Dark, dark days.

British rock is currently having a quiet period, but there's still a lot of big name rock bands doing the festivals this year. I think getting The Libertines back as headliners would be less of an odd decision than Fall Out Boy or Kings of Leon.

They’re headlining the Friday at Victorious. The cheaper day before the festival even. I was thinking yesterday how crazy it is that they joined this middling festival merry-go-round when they were once in such demand to reunite and Pete Doherty was appearing at Live 8 and stuff. Now they’re not only reliable to show up, they’re fixtures.

2 minutes ago, Fast Drones said:

if this lineup is 03-04 Leeds then Kendrick Lamar is definitely Alan Smith

Sharing a top line with Lamine! at the Sakho.

1 minute ago, Mattymooz said:

Even if FoB were replaced with someone actually good I think 2 years is too short. Heck people were annoyed with Biffy returning after 3 and Blink returning after 4

Oh aye of course it's too short. But DR OK was saying that if Royal Blood headlined this year then they'd be ruled out for the next 4, which clearly isn't the case.

2 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Even if FoB were replaced with someone actually good I think 2 years is too short. Heck people were annoyed with Biffy returning after 3 and Blink returning after 4

Also not as if they've produced anything worthwhile since they were last there. Heard Mania was poor at best.

8 minutes ago, Takyon said:

Mid afternoon is where they should be, not anywhere near headlining. FR have fucked up big time. 

I seem to remember Panic having one of smallest headline crowds in the history of Glastonbury. 

Just now, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Oh aye of course it's too short. But DR OK was saying that if Royal Blood headlined this year then they'd be ruled out for the next 4, which clearly isn't the case.

Well I'd tend to agree it should have ruled Royal Blood out from playing again for 4 years though...

However, let's be honest if Fall Out Boy can solo headline so could Royal Blood lol

The likes of Panic at the Disco and FOB were 'popular' when I was about 16 and back then they weren't headline material. So am I so out of touch that they're suddenly huge or is it an embarrassingly bad booking by FR?

Just now, VCK said:

A lot of those streams would be from outside of the UK.

I mean, they are pretty popular over here, their last album reached the top five, but definitely not sub/co-headline material.

1 minute ago, MIchael_scarn said:

Even with that information it still makes you wonder how many people at FR were like 'yano what will go down well, putting panic at the disco who were 5th down in 2015 as a co-headliner with the greatest hip hop artist in the world right now'. It's beyond a joke at how disconnected it seems.

4 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

It may be popular but is it popular enough to warrant them going from 5th down in 2015 to coheadlining this year...

I'm not defending the decision at all, I was just really surprised that they were still so popular. I was under the impression that they fell off quite a lot once most of the original lineup left the band.

It's baffling that they 1) signed them as a headline act and 2) didn't have them co-headline with Fall Out Boy, the weakest headliner and the band who signed them and gave them their big break, it could've made a nice little narrative. 

Just now, gsloth said:

Who’s looking likely to be annouced in the next wave of acts? I don’t know who to expect after todays announcement 

I have them still missing a 3rd down act for Friday and Saturday. Think Don Broco is nailed on for one of those once their tour ends. Fuck knows who the other is lol.

Just now, Chinaski_ said:

The likes of Panic at the Disco and FOB were 'popular' when I was about 16 and back then they weren't headline material. So am I so out of touch that they're suddenly huge or is it an embarrassingly bad booking by FR?

No it's just a bad booking

• Upvote 1

I was set on a day ticket for Kendrick but after seeing that I don’t know if I want to grace the festival with my money any more. FOB, KoL, undercard for every day - all pretty tragic. I actually saw Panic! the last two times at Reading and kinda like them, but this is ludicrous.

When did the day tickets go on sale last year? Same time they announced Liam Gallagher and did the proper poster? April?

I will give Panic! props that Brendon knows how to write a pop song, they’re far better at being a pop band than they were a rock band. FOB on the otherhand make bafflingly bad pop music that really makes you wonder who the hell is hearing it and enjoying it? If you like pop, there is loads of great pop music and FOB are not making any of it. 

1 hour ago, DR OK said:

I imagine they will have tried for all of the above bands but that for one reason or another either the timing wasn't right or they had agreed to do something else. For example it looks like Paramore's dates finish in June, Royal Blood have been offered a headline slot elsewhere and look like they have prioritised it over headlining Reading an album too soon, another poster said Florence had agreed to play a festival which then semingly hasn't gone ahead. Even with AM and Foos it looks like AM were offered stadium dates which fit with their schedule and Foo's played recently and also have a number of studio dates. 

Some other bands might have refused because they wanted to headline on their own terms / wait for the next album eg Paramore, BMTH, ID, Royal Blood, Tame Impala. QOTSA played recently and doing their own shows this summer.

KOL seems like they have called in a favour because they were struggling (KOL sold out BST last summer and still have a decent pull for day trippers) and FOB and P! were part of a strategy for two stages which didn't happen in the end. 

They'll know it looks weak which is presumably why they hadn't announced anything as they were trying to fix it. But when your superstar headliner commands the fee that Kendrick does (the highest fee ever paid by Reading apparently) its going to impact their budget and corners will have to be cut somewhere. It very much feels like this year represents a line being drawn in the sand between many of the older attendees and the new generation. There's plenty of decent indie lineups this year (mainly in London) so shop around. 

Kendrick being expensive makes a lot of sense, his arena tour tickets were pricey so it kind of fits. What I don't understand is why make your superstar/ most expensive booking a co-headliner? If P! play after Kendrick that will just be embarrassing. 

Just now, jamieaslee said:

Kendrick being expensive makes a lot of sense, his arena tour tickets were pricey so it kind of fits. What I don't understand is why make your superstar/ most expensive booking a co-headliner? If P! play after Kendrick that will just be embarrassing. 

If that's the case then Festival Republic may actually be facing financial difficulty, if they can only afford one legitimately strong headliner. The same festival who once had Radiohead, Arctic Monkeys and Kings of Leon back when they had a claim to being the biggest band in the world. They've also had the likes of Green Day and Eminem both headline the same year. Hell, I'd imagine last year's headliners cost a fair bit.