Lineup 2018

13 minutes ago, MIchael_scarn said:

This gives me a little bit of hope but even Dan must be shocked about how shit it is this year.

image.png

There is obviously the Pit and Lock Up to announce and in 2016 he did a separate announcement for it on a Sunday, and the lack of rock/metal announced today suggests they are doing something similar.  There is also very little on there that would be suited to the FR stage so all that is to come.  This assumes the stages remain the same of course.

3 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I feel by the reaction that this is turning point for a few like I had years ago where on the whole I'd gone from the age majorly for it and it's booked for the new young one's coming in.

highly disagree - Fall Out Boy and Kings of Leon have been going for nearly 20 years now. This lineup is not current at all, you have two headliners (actually three if we are counting panic) headlining way after their peak. The undercard might be seriously fresh but this is definitely not a festival for the new young ones coming in at all.

Edit: The 16-20 year olds' that would be going to R&L this year were 7-9 when Use Somebody came out.

Edited by Matt42

4 minutes ago, zak14 said:

Apart from Fall Out Boy being a super weak headliner i don't mind the line up, the next announcement should definitely fill out with a couple heavier acts like Broco and The Wonder Years. I think this announcement was more geared towards capitalising on the lack of V fest this year.

I was typing something similar at the same time, there is very little rock/metal announced today and assuming the set up remains the same there's the Pit/Lock Up to come, plus I can't see much that is a fit for the FR stage so that is to come too.  Just seems the first announcement is very heavy on pop and rap, but you've got to assume that is representative of how they are going with main stage and NME as why would they load the first announcement that way otherwise?

This sells out every year only because it's a week after A-Level results - so all the spoilt rich kids are bought tickets as a rites-of-passage...The problem is - this crowd is fickle..

I've been to Reading approx 8 times in last 10 years - and you usually get an equal mix of locals / A-levels teens / oldie Rockers - whereas last year seemed exclusively A-level teens...

They don't need big lineups sadly - and Rock gigs are now going it alone...

This is first time in ages that Reading haven't booked a Glasto headliner for the next year...

• Upvote 1

The reason I feel 2016 was so good was because of the fact you had the best of both worlds in terms of rock/ indie and rap. By the looks of this lineup they've completely bypassed the rock + metal + indie contingent and overloaded it with too much rap meaning the balance between the two extremely piss poor in terms of quality and quantity. 

I understand there's more to come but with the way last year went it looks like another poor year imo.

1 minute ago, Andre91 said:

I don’t think there will be a Lock Up / Pit. Not over three days like we have come to expect, anyway. 

I'm clinging to the hope that because Dan P Carter is tweeting the announcement he's still involved, and that he'd only be involved if the Pit/Lock Up was still there otherwise why would he bother promoting it. 

Line up is absolutely tragic. Even last years line up was far better, but I have to say that I think 2016's line up was the best they've had for a while now.

This line up makes Latitude's, Truck's and Kendal's line ups look far more appealing as their tickets are all cheaper than Reading's and they have stronger line ups! Where the hell are Arctic monkeys and foo fighters!?

what would save this weird af festival for you guys personally? - being as unrealistic and hopeful as your wildest dreams 

For me I think it would be them announcing two more headliners for Friday & Sunday the way they’ve got it on the Saturday and announcing the double main stage thing to make it work. Any 2 of FATM, Paramore, RB, FF or AM would be my preference. if that happened I could officially be into it 

41 minutes ago, The All Round Ball :| said:

Dude, you disappointed about foos? I literally just booked a holiday to Germany to see them there haha! 

Edit - Yeah, was curious on why Don Broco wasnt on the bill :/

I cried mate

Well, honestly, this is both a hilarious announcement in terms of spearing AM fanboys and also a baffling announcement in terms of whom they're trying to haul in.

Weird thinking that only six years ago, The Cure were strolling through a headline slot.

Don't feel Panic! are undeserving of that slot though. DoaB did biiiig business.

1 hour ago, CRW5252 said:

KOL are in the indie rock bracket as well but I do agree with you

I mean don't get me wrong when they were booked 15 years ago and if I was at the age of going I'd probably be buzzing because I like the album Y&YM a lot. However, pretty much everything after was very very very poor imo, judging by the reception they got in 2009 they should have never played the festival again... but here we are 9 years later and they're still headlining the festival. Feel like FR really don't know how to read the room.

1 hour ago, EamerRed said:

This is exactly me and my mates. We usually do Glasto, and I've done Reading previously with a good view indie bands, but there's nothing out there this year for our lot now. It's ridiculous.

There's not one band on that poster that makes me think 'I've got to see them'. I've seen the wombats far too many times for them to even interest me anymore. Courteeners have indie disco belters but that's as far as it stretches, I mean it's not as if st jude was followed by anything ground breaking. Literally the only ones that slightly interest me are Wolf Alice and The Magic Gang. Don't wanna sound entitled but it shouldn't be like that at all. 

EDIT: I'M ALSO HOPING THIS 2 MAIN STAGE THING IS ACTUALLY TRUE WHICH I NEVER EVER THOUGHT I'D SAY.

Edited by MIchael_scarn

Ok then I'll be coming from France to see FOB, oh boy. 

1st time we will be coming to a UK fest, bought tickets months ago to get everything set as a gift (spend quite a lot of money), and then this line up. Friday is very week. I mean,  a lot of our french regional festival could do better. 

I know a lot of you though we should wait to buy tickets but in France tickets it sold out in a day or so usually so I guess I was stressed out. 

Now waiting for some more sub to boost the line up, maybe some nice Electro 

Convinced a significant proportion of this clamouring for the Arctics is just bandwagon jumping from kids who don't even listen to them. There's just no way there's genuinely this much desperation to see a band who played everywhere as recently as 2014. Their days at RnL '14 didn't even sell out until like June.

There are only three acts on the lineup I would be genuinely arsed about seeing. One per day and that’s Post Malone, Sum 41 and J Hus and I’ve seen Sum 41 already. Everything else I would be semi-interested in like Creeper Beartooth I’ve seen loads before. In Creeper’s case, I’ve seen them 5/6 times over the past year. I’m feeling all Creepered out :lol: 

1 minute ago, Lukie74 said:

With Kendrick/ Panic! being a co-headline (supposing not like FOB/Biffy), I feel for the site who have Panic ending the night.  I also feel for the band themselves because I can imagine the crowd diminishing quite a bit between Kendrick and them 

It'll probably be like Biffy/FOB in 2016 where Biffy closed both sites, Kendrick will close both I reckon.

Edited by Dukey