Lineup 2018

50 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

TBH the source is a bit weird. They went from knowing about YM@6 last year, to knowing a massive list of names for this year. IDK where his source supposedly works but oh well

YMAS the year before, as in the secret set so it didn't come with other info. Only knowing about YMAS last year would've been weird. :P

2 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

I heard they had booked Radiohead with Fall Out Boy subbing, but when they pulled out they got Biffy and had to bump FoB up to coheadline

I think this would be the best guess from eFests info and the circumstances, yeah. No idea why they'd have to bump Fall Out Boy up - maybe they approached them and then Biffy were also available and approached so they had an opportunity for both? Biffy seemed to find themselves without a festival to headline on their new album quite late in the day so maybe they were bumped off the bill somewhere else? I'm not pulling that thread though.

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

two thoughts

Even though they are really my thing, every time i've seen Royal Blood they've smashed it. They were very very good on the pyramid stage last year and they really suit big stages.

Second, Dua Lipa taking a high slot wouldn't surprise me... and I think it's pretty good going of R&L to give a big slot to a big female artist right now. 

Agree on both. The inclusion of SZA - no doubt in a big slot - and PVRIS - a repeat from last year - in that leak strengthens the approach they're going for as well. And it's not them that's making damaging that line up; it's The Hunna and Thirty Seconds to Mars. :P

However, if you're trying to say Royal Blood 'aren't really your thing' when you adored them a couple of years ago and called people out for being fickle and leaving the Royal Blood hype train then I'm gonna wild out. :lol:

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Agree on both. The inclusion of SZA - no doubt in a big slot - and PVRIS - a repeat from last year - in that leak strengthens the approach they're going for as well. And it's not them that's making damaging that line up; it's The Hunna and Thirty Seconds to Mars. :P

However, if you're trying to say Royal Blood 'aren't really your thing' when you adored them a couple of years ago and called people out for being fickle and leaving the Royal Blood hype train then I'm gonna wild out. :lol:

I wouldn't pay to see them but I think they are a solid band and worthy of their success, and have released decent music.

I guess that makes me a fan but hey ho

+1 on SZA. I think Reading should definitely book more solo females, I think acts like Dua Lipa, SZA, Lorde would go down very well

Edited by Matt42

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I wouldn't pay to see them but I think they are a solid band and worthy of their success, and have released decent music.

I guess that makes me a fan but hey ho

+1 on SZA. I think Reading should definitely book more solo females, I think acts like Dua Lipa, SZA, Lorde would go down very well

To put Dua Lipa in the same box as Lorde and SZA is a weird one though. I feel like she is way more pop than the other 2 (and is why I don't think she'll be booked). Especially if people consider acts like The Chainsmokers and Coldplay as "too pop" then Dua doesn't stand a chance imo...

Just now, Mattymooz said:

To put Dua Lipa in the same box as Lorde and SZA is a weird one though. I feel like she is way more pop than the other 2 (and is why I don't think she'll be booked). Especially if people consider acts like The Chainsmokers and Coldplay as "too pop" then Dua doesn't stand a chance imo...

That's true but also it seems daft to think that Chase & Status and Macklemore & Ryan Lewis are/were appealing to a less 'pop' crowd than Lipa.

1 minute ago, Mattymooz said:

I can totally see both Chainsmokers and Coldplay being booked for R&L. But there are obviously many factors that come between that.

Coldplay probably don't wanna do it, if they wanna do a UK fest they'l do Glastonbury or big weekend. Chainsmokers are probably booked / exclusive somewhere else... and are probably big enough now to command a large slot (which probably puts R&L off booking them).

If Chainsmokers weren't as big as they are now, I could totally see them getting a slot lower on the bill.

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

That's true but also it seems daft to think that Chase & Status and Macklemore & Ryan Lewis are/were appealing to a less 'pop' crowd than Lipa.

I don't know how pop I'd consider Chase & Status (you'd be better off chucking Sigma or Wilkinson in that box as the poppier DnB acts) but I'd certainly consider them popular in a niche that R&L caters to which makes them a sensible booking.

Macklemore I guess is a fair comparison I guess, just seems weird that they'd go full on pop when previously they've only stuck with the alt-pop crossover acts (Charli XCX, K.Flay, Sigrid, Alma, Halsey, Lapsley, Jack Garrat etc.)

4 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

I don't know how pop I'd consider Chase & Status (you'd be better off chucking Sigma or Wilkinson in that box as the poppier DnB acts) but I'd certainly consider them popular in a niche that R&L caters to which makes them a sensible booking.

Macklemore I guess is a fair comparison I guess, just seems weird that they'd go full on pop when previously they've only stuck with the alt-pop crossover acts (Charli XCX, K.Flay, Sigrid, Alma, Halsey, Lapsley, Jack Garrat etc.)

But you've gotta remember that it's only recently that R/L has started booking so many dance, hip hop and grime acts in prominent positions also, because they've all become immensely popular in recent years, so now with the likes of Dua Lipa (who's music I'd say appeals to and has been embraced moreso by indie kid/festival goer than many other pop stars) being huge why not capitalise on that market also? She'd obviously go down a storm, and what with most other major fests going bust/not being on this year, R/L would be dumb to not sweep her up when she's available and on the rise.

And I'm still not having it that Radiohead pulled out in 2016. Even despite the fact that they're not at all a good fit for the festival anymore, them + RHCP isn't any different from Foos + Arctics this year, which many (including myself) are saying wouldn't happen due to them both being huge headliners. FR's first choice pulled out, sure, but it sure as hell wasn't Radiohead, and definitely not subbed by Fall Out Boy. I'm sure if we looked back at predictions for 2016's headliner leading up to the announcements there are much more obvious candidates for who it could've been.

8 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

TBH the source is a bit weird. They went from knowing about YM@6 last year, to knowing a massive list of names for this year. IDK where his source supposedly works but oh well

Yes as @dentalplan said again lol, it was the YM@6 secret set she got info for in 2016. She didn't get any info last year because me and my friends didn't go so my friend never asked.

This year out of curiosity of delayed announcement my friend asked her aunt again. First she just said Travis Scott. Then a few days later she gave the full list that I posted above.

Again I completely understand why people are sceptical, there's not much more I can say to prove it to be right. We'll just have to wait for the lineup which hopefully will be out soon.

Also, I don't think Dua Lipa subbing would be much different to Macklemore subbing in 2014.

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

And I'm still not having it that Radiohead pulled out in 2016. Even despite the fact that they're not at all a good fit for the festival anymore, them + RHCP isn't any different from Foos + Arctics this year, which many (including myself) are saying wouldn't happen due to them both being huge headliners. FR's first choice pulled out, sure, but it sure as hell wasn't Radiohead, and definitely not subbed by Fall Out Boy. I'm sure if we looked back at predictions for 2016's headliner leading up to the announcements there are much more obvious candidates for who it could've been.

Then again, they did have Eminem + Muse last year. Radiohead probably aren't really a 'huge' headliner in the eyes of the R&L audience compared to Eminem/Muse/RHCP/Foos/Arctics etc.

Having said that, still dunno if Radiohead would really have been booked. Also, their festival sets in 2016 weren't as packed with hits like their Glastonbury set, and even that didn't please a lot of people. Don't think they'd have fared well at R&L (although I'd have been absolutely over the moon had they been there).

3 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

But you've gotta remember that it's only recently that R/L has started booking so many dance, hip hop and grime acts in prominent positions also, because they've all become immensely popular in recent years, so now with the likes of Dua Lipa (who's music I'd say appeals to and has been embraced moreso by indie kid/festival goer than many other pop stars) being huge why not capitalise on that market also? She'd obviously go down a storm, and what with most other major fests going bust/not being on this year, R/L would be dumb to not sweep her up when she's available and on the rise.

I dunno I'm still not buying it. Especially with her being given a sub slot too..... if she does end up playing there then im sorry, but i dont buy it...

5 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

I dunno I'm still not buying it. Especially with her being given a sub slot too..... if she does end up playing there then im sorry, but i dont buy it...

I don't know what slot she's actually playing, I just know that she's going to be there. My suggestion that she could sub was purely speculation, and also assumed that she's be subbing Kendrick but it's been suggested that 30STM would be more likely to sub him due to their tour dates, in which case she's probably 3rd main or NME headline.

However, it's still possible that 30STM could sub Royal Blood on the Friday at Reading and Saturday at Leeds, giving them Sunday off. I'm still predicting it to be Royal Blood / 30STM, Kendrick / Dua Lipa, Foos / Courteeners, with Travis Scott headlining NME against Foos, or possible Royal Blood.

Just now, RarerThanDandyB said:

What have I done?

sorry mate it's just so clearly a fake, pretty sure it's already been posted here and it doesn't even match what the leak said because there's no Dua Lipa

1 minute ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

sorry mate it's just so clearly a fake, pretty sure it's already been posted here and it doesn't even match what the leak said because there's no Dua Lipa

Shit. Yeah. Sorry. Thought it was a new one. Christ. It annoys me when people do it and now I have done it. Sorry.

Just now, randlfan said:

I don't know what slot she's actually playing, I just know that she's going to be there. My suggestion that she could sub was purely speculation, and also assumed that she's be subbing Kendrick but it's been suggested that 30STM would be more likely to sub him due to their tour dates, in which case she's probably 3rd main or NME headline.

However, it's still possible that 30STM could sub Royal Blood on the Friday at Reading and Saturday at Leeds, giving them Sunday off. I'm still predicting it to be Royal Blood / 30STM, Kendrick / Dua Lipa, Foos / Courteeners, with Travis Scott headlining NME against Foos, or possible Royal Blood.

I'd have guessed that if thats the case, it's likely your source just saw like the top couple of lines from the top 2 stages. That would give us something like this (all the acts you have mentioned are underlined in red, everyone else is just who was left from my previous prediction). You could swap Dua with J Hus, or tbh thinking about it what is probably more likely is if you put her where Faithless is and move them over to where Pendulum is I think that fits better maybe?

TBH, the only acts I have added where Faithless (who seem like a bit of a random booking but after Fatboy last year I wouldn't be suprised, especially after how popular he was), PVRIS (who I don't really expect to play as they already did mainstage on this album last year) and Dua (obvious choice for V Fest). The rest just got shuffled around a bit and imo it still looks fairly alright

predleak.PNG

• Upvote 1